PRM takes majority in the Senate

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019

President Danilo Medina, in the final meeting with the members of the Central and Political Committee, had urged the party members to find the votes to “at least take the Senate.” The PLD had controlled the Senate for the past 16 years. Congress was best known for rubber-stamping what came from the Executive Branch.

The preliminary vote counts indicate that the opposition party will govern with a majority in the Senate and the Chamber of Deputies. Several long-standing PLD senators were voted out.

The opposition takes the Senate. Senator candidates with the votes to win their seats are:National District: Faride Raful (PRM)Azua: Dr. Lia Diaz (PRM)Bahoruco: Melania Salvador (PRM)Dajabón: David Sosa (PRSC)Duarte: Franklin Romero (PRM)El Seibo: Santiago Zorrilla (PRM)Espaillat: Carlos Gomez (PRM)Hato Mayor: Dr. Castillo (PRM)Hermanas Mirabal: Bauta Rojas (PRSC)La...
Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramon Cedano

Apr 20, 2020
Santo Domingo
The problem is simple: territorial fragmentation and political disintegration. Politicians have been deligent at dividing the country's territory into illogical parts to secure their power bases and legislative niches . We have more provinces than any of our neihbouring Latin American countries with much more land area than us, for example, the surface of Cuba is 109,884 square kilometers (this is more than double our territory), having presently 15 provinces and the Special Municipality of the Isla de la Juventud, which is not included in any of them.
The sad thing is that no party is interested in changing this. However this is a problem not only here but also in the USA, where you have small states like Maine with very little territory with two senators in Washington with the same power as the two senators from huge states in size like Texas , New York or California. The world is not fair or logical at all!

Caonabo

Silver
Sep 27, 2017
Hello Mr. Cedano, and welcome to the community.
May I ask how long you have felt this way about the RD provinces, and what you seek to be the solution?

Caonabo

Silver
Sep 27, 2017
And by the way, "The world is not fair or logical at all!" Yes, you are very correct in this assertion. The quicker you understand this in life, a bit easier of a go you shall have. Some times in life we all need to put the Big Boy pants on, pull them up, and tighten the belt.
Such is life.

Reactions: Ramon Cedano

Ramon Cedano

Apr 20, 2020
Santo Domingo
Thank you sir.

I would like to refer you to the following article (Spanish), which I consider will provide the reader with a very good overview as to what has been happening in the D.R. concerning this issue.

Reactions: Caonabo

Caonabo

Silver
Sep 27, 2017
I will read the article presented, but I was asking for your opinion and insight, not Diario Libre's.

Caonabo

Silver
Sep 27, 2017
And from a talking point perspective, your referenced article is from 2014.
May I ask if you are unhappy with the results of yesterday's elections?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The problem is simple: territorial fragmentation and political disintegration. Politicians have been deligent at dividing the country's territory into illogical parts to secure their power bases and legislative niches . We have more provinces than any of our neihbouring Latin American countries with much more land area than us, for example, the surface of Cuba is 109,884 square kilometers (this is more than double our territory), having presently 15 provinces and the Special Municipality of the Isla de la Juventud, which is not included in any of them.
The sad thing is that no party is interested in changing this. However this is a problem not only here but also in the USA, where you have small states like Maine with very little territory with two senators in Washington with the same power as the two senators from huge states in size like Texas , New York or California. The world is not fair or logical at all!
Cuba is not a democracy so comparing the Dominican Republic to a one party state is illogical. I don't see this as problematic.