Pro-Dominicanism

Makinater

May 4, 2013
My son was born in Sweden by a father that is half Dominican, half Swedish, and a mother that is half Argentinian, one quarter German and one quarter Swedish. Now he lives in the DR (SD) and will, within soon, have his Dominican passport. In the future, it is quite possible that he will live in Buenos Aires, Fortaleza, some place in Costa Rica or wherever we choose to go. What does that make him? He's too young to talk and express his own opinion, so I can't answer that yet. But for me, being born and raised in Sweden with a Dominican heritage that always made people consider me a "foreigner", the situation could have been very complicated. Why? Because as soon as I am in the Dominican Republic I am also considered a "foreigner" by most people, at least until I open my mouth.

But what could have been complicated, and was so for many years while I lived in the collective delusion that national identity is an important thing, is nowadays very easy. I have realized that I do not need and do not want a national label. I am who I am, as a son, a brother, father, husband, friend. So I don't really feel like anything when it comes to nationality. And I do guess that the same thing can happen to our soon, since he will be speaking several languages and will have cultural influence from a lot of different societies.

Last but not least, I'd like to say that I do believe Mr. Einstein had three great things to leave as his heritage to the people on this planet: the theory of special relativity, of general relativity and this quote:

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."

And this image sums up the whole discussion in two sentences:

i-dont-see-any-borders-do-you.html

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
"Boknows" has many flags hanging in his American home and Domincan apartment regardless of nationality and "Parents". I respect all flags, because I am American...and not..........

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
PM me when you officially start making choices for the flag you claim, I will let you adopt me and give me a new flag to claim... that's 55 and 55 saves lives

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My son was born in Sweden by a father that is half Dominican, half Swedish, and a mother that is half Argentinian, one quarter German and one quarter Swedish. Now he lives in the DR (SD) and will, within soon, have his Dominican passport. In the future, it is quite possible that he will live in Buenos Aires, Fortaleza, some place in Costa Rica or wherever we choose to go. What does that make him? He's too young to talk and express his own opinion, so I can't answer that yet. But for me, being born and raised in Sweden with a Dominican heritage that always made people consider me a "foreigner", the situation could have been very complicated. Why? Because as soon as I am in the Dominican Republic I am also considered a "foreigner" by most people, at least until I open my mouth.

But what could have been complicated, and was so for many years while I lived in the collective delusion that national identity is an important thing, is nowadays very easy. I have realized that I do not need and do not want a national label. I am who I am, as a son, a brother, father, husband, friend. So I don't really feel like anything when it comes to nationality. And I do guess that the same thing can happen to our soon, since he will be speaking several languages and will have cultural influence from a lot of different societies.

Last but not least, I'd like to say that I do believe Mr. Einstein had three great things to leave as his heritage to the people on this planet: the theory of special relativity, of general relativity and this quote:

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."

And this image sums up the whole discussion in two sentences:

i-dont-see-any-borders-do-you.html

I wholeheartedly agree. I don't fully identify with any of my places of origin. I was born in one place to parents from two other places and although I've lived in my country of birth and my father's place of birth as well as a couple of other countries I don't feel and am not treated as a local at all in any of them.

I'm married to a Dominican and our son has grown up in the DR. I found it interesting and surprising that rather than identifying as mostly Dominican, he feels more of an affinity with my home town (my father's place of birth) where we spend our summers every year.

Dec 26, 2011
My son was born in the US. He loves to eat ca?a and his grandmother's habichuelas con dulce. He doesn't really identify as American. Nor Dominican. He's post-nationalist. I'm proud of that. Nationalism is an anchor for the unrealized and insecure.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Great posts, Makinater and pollito!
I think people need to drop this nationalism, patriotism, etc. It means nothing. We are of course the result of factors, and where we were born is not one of them. I for one, can't really say I am from a specific country because, barring these last 12 years in DR, I have never lived in a country long enough to call it "mine". And I'm OK with it, I can even say I'm grateful, for that allows me to see what some others can't while they see through the veil that their flag is for them. When we stop comparing, when we stop competing, when we stop trying to impose our ways, life is so much more relaxed and we can see beauty where we couldn't before.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i also do not understand the pride of being dominican/polish/whatever. i can only be proud of what i achieved. being polish ain't an achievement, i was born that way.

no kids here but dominican SIL is pregnant with her first baby. hubby is another gringo, half arabic, half indian. i truly doubt they will teach the kid any hindu and/or whatever other dialect hubby speaks. so i am going to take upon myself to teach that child english from early age (parents use english on daily basis). i want the baby to feel like she belongs in more place than just one. heck, as soon as she is big enough i will try to take her to poland with me as well. she's gonna be a little citizen of the galaxy ;)

Sep 4, 2012
I'm married to a Dominican and our son has grown up in the DR. I found it interesting and surprising that rather than identifying as mostly Dominican, he feels more of an affinity with my home town (my father's place of birth) where we spend our summers every year.

Any specifics for that?

Sep 4, 2012
I find it interesting for instance, in countries such as Panama, the story is divided. Those born in the Canal Zone from American families, tend to stay Americans, although most were born and raised in Panama, among Panamanians and under Panamanian culture.

To the contrary, those born any other place in Panama to Americans and raised outside the Panama Canal, and under the same circumstances have the tendency to claim Panama, and to call themselves Panamanians, but by not means denying the American citizenship.

Not condoning/flaming either side, just a note for the discussion.

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Turned out to be a wonderful thread this with a lot of personal stories. I am not surprised though. All of us have one thing in common, and that is that we have relocated from the country we were born in. That alone means that we do have a different history compared to most people in the world, and that also seem to make the DR1-members a bit less prone to nationalism than your average flag waving chap (at least the one's that have written in this thread). Gives me a lot of hope for the future, since I wholeheartedly believe that nationalism was once necessary - e.g. for the Latin american colonies that struggled for independence from European colonial powers - but that it is now an obsolete ideology. Great night time reading, so thanks to all of you!

Makinater

May 4, 2013
I find it interesting for instance, in countries such as Panama, the story is divided. Those born in the Canal Zone from American families, tend to stay Americans, although most were born and raised in Panama, among Panamanians and under Panamanian culture.

To the contrary, those born any other place in Panama to Americans and raised outside the Panama Canal, and under the same circumstances have the tendency to claim Panama, and to call themselves Panamanians, but by not means denying the American citizenship.

Not condoning/flaming either side, just a note for the discussion.

Subcultures and local micro cultures are always interesting. Are there socioeconomic differences involved? Any other structural differences that can explain the peculiar phenomena? Got me pretty interested, I must admit.

Sep 4, 2012
The Canal Zone for a change, is not longer since the canal was surrender to Panamanians back in 1990 I believe it was, but there were big differences among Americans born and raised in the canal zone and those same Americans born and raised elsewhere in Panama.

Those born outside the canal mingled closer to the Panamanian populace and way of life than those limited to the canal zone is the one thing I can think of?

Wonder if the same can be said about Americans in the DR?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My three kids were all born here in the DR.
They all have two passports, USA, and DR.
They have never been to the USA, but are dying to go, to "Disney World" that is!
We stay here because I have enough money to take good care of them, ie, education,healthcare, lifestyle, and MOST important an extended family to love and nurture them.
You seldom get that in the USA.
My oldest daighter says she wants to go to high school, and college in the USA.
I hope she does, although I'll most likely be dead before that happens.
US Social Security can make it happen!
"Thanks Barry"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Sep 4, 2012
Understand about the passports and citizenship, this is more about;

Do they feel Dominican in any way, shape or form?

Do they feel Americans only?

Do they feel both?

Do they care either way?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well my step-son moved to CANADA when he was eight, and he is now 23. He lives in Toronto and this time has no desire to return to the DR. He has both passports and if you ask him he's tell you he's a Dominican Canadian. He feels Dominican but I thinks he's more in tune with Canadian culture than Dominican.