Problems with Vaccines.. past and present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Sinovac - perfect? no it is not. Safe to get for most people? It seems so based on currently available info/data. Better than nothing? Apparently even if only to mitigate the severity of any subsequent infection. Some on this forum should stop trying so hard to convince others to adopt a different set of geopolitical beliefs and attitudes towards vaccination in general. I would without hesitation get the Sinovac vaccine when it is offered to me. I am a little more weary of the Pfizer or Moderna shots but if that is all that was available to me, then my decision is either yes/no based on my needs to do something to get as much protection from CV19 as I can at that time. Apparently the pathological need for some here to have their views adopted by the many is strong as evidenced by their repeated statements that offer no new evidence, just more distrust in Govts, countries and science in general. Interested in decent and accurate information, not so much in personal opinions or political slants.
Yes, ever since the vaccine of choice in the DR (Sinovac) became the ONLY option, its' support by those that have taken it became non-stop. There are some here on board that seem to have a need to support, over and over again, their correct decision and want that decision to be accepted by the universe. In addition, CG you are correct in noting that no new compelling evidence is given for the Chinese vaccine. (actually, new evidence is negative).
So, again, if Sinovac was YOUR decision... live with it, hope for the best, and let others decide for themselves.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I have read that article earlier. There is nothing new in it. Chinese official trying to back peddle a bit but that's his job. I have already had my second shot of Sinovac. As I said in a previous post, the WHO will probably add Sinovac to the list of approved emergency vaccines by the end of April.

If certain government's would stop trying to politicize the vaccine rollouts and the media would only publish actual facts the world would be a much better place.

Reactions: SKY

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Today the top officials from China have said that Sinovac has low effectiveness (50.4%) on the first does. This is not new news. Brazil reported this in January. What is new is that China is finally agreeing to the results the rest of the world knows.

The second shot has seen effectiveness up to 83% with the second shot taken minimum 2 weeks later. Most countries are giving the second shot 28 days after the first. Some scientists say this could bring the effectiveness even higher.

All agree that people that have taken Sinovac and still caught the virus have NOT had severe symptoms and none needed hospitalization.

The WHO is still expected to add Sinovac to the approved list of emergency vaccines by the end of April.

Again all we have is the media trying to create hysteria. Old news. Let's move on.
Thanks, this is the most sensible summation of the facts.

Reactions: melphis

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Yes, ever since the vaccine of choice in the DR (Sinovac) became the ONLY option, its' support by those that have taken it became non-stop. There are some here on board that seem to have a need to support, over and over again, their correct decision and want that decision to be accepted by the universe. In addition, CG you are correct in noting that no new compelling evidence is given for the Chinese vaccine. (actually, new evidence is negative).
So, again, if Sinovac was YOUR decision... live with it, hope for the best, and let others decide for themselves.
I really haven't seen anyone trying to push Sinovac on others. Personally I believe it's your choice like most things in life. Some choices are just better than others.

As far as new negative news, it's just not there. All is see is rehashing of things that science discovered in January. All that's new is the Chinese officials are finally agreeing with it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is the EXACT opposite of what is happening on this board. You have the people that have taken Sinovac and telling of NO problems at all. Then you have people coming on with ZERO evidence or experience with the vaccine warning of dire effects. Well over 1,000,000 shots with not ONE person having any "dire" effects or anything close to it. If that is not a large enough sample you must have flunked math.

So if you have not taken it fine. That is your choice, but the vast majority of us have taken it and are right in posting that we are glad we did..................................

Jan 9, 2004
Sinovac - perfect? no it is not. Safe to get for most people? It seems so based on currently available info/data. Better than nothing? Apparently even if only to mitigate the severity of any subsequent infection. Some on this forum should stop trying so hard to convince others to adopt a different set of geopolitical beliefs and attitudes towards vaccination in general. I would without hesitation get the Sinovac vaccine when it is offered to me. I am a little more weary of the Pfizer or Moderna shots but if that is all that was available to me, then my decision is either yes/no based on my needs to do something to get as much protection from CV19 as I can at that time. Apparently the pathological need for some here to have their views adopted by the many is strong as evidenced by their repeated statements that offer no new evidence, just more distrust in Govts, countries and science in general. Interested in decent and accurate information, not so much in personal opinions or political slants.
Apparently the pathological need for some here to have their views adopted by the many is strong as evidenced by their repeated statements that offer no new evidence, just more blind trust in Govts, countries and science in general.

Aren't we all.....................interested in decent and accurate information, not so much in personal opinions or political slants. The problem is.........accurate information is..............with/without political slants................not always accurate................as has emerged over and over and over regarding everything from the origins of the virus, to how it can or cannot be transmitted, to how, and even, if the vaccines are truly effective.......and to the extent it is political........so be it.

You gather your information and you make your own decision on who or what you trust.................and your opinion and belief is your right..........just as those who believe differently have the same right to express theirs...................

Good luck with whatever vaccine you choose to take.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: NanSanPedro

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
This is the EXACT opposite of what is happening on this board. You have the people that have taken Sinovac and telling of NO problems at all. Then you have people coming on with ZERO evidence or experience with the vaccine warning of dire effects. Well over 1,000,000 shots with not ONE person having any "dire" effects or anything close to it. If that is not a large enough sample you must have flunked math.

So if you have not taken it fine. That is your choice, but the vast majority of us have taken it and are right in posting that we are glad we did..................................
Well, I didn't "flunk math", reading, or logic. But, thanks for your observations and your opinions on the subject matter. Have a blessed day.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This whole efficacy comparison is BS

no statistics allow comparison between vaccines
Each result stands on its own but no comparison can be madE

the tests were at different time intervals and on different populations
No comparable circumstances allow any comparison

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Not a bit. There’s very little censorship in Russia online. There’s no active filtering of news.
The low rate of vaccination in Russia has more to do with the old people mentality there. They reject anything they think they can avoid by keeping certain distance from Moscow.
Russians are very mindful of Moscow’s centrist policies. The people living in the outskirts of the city, see no reason to get vaccinated. The rates of infection outside of Moscow are practically very low.

I’ve been to Russia many times and can tell you they trust very little anything the central government says or does, because of the corruption in all levels.

They don’t even like talking politics, it’s a taboo subject with friends. Only families talk about it and most are always divided on their opinions.

The old reminisced about Soviet times, the young ones are Euro centric, but don’t trust them as well.

Unlike many believe in the West, most Russians are ok with Putin in power. They think he’s more harsh on the corruption than any other President.

Media in Russia is divided between Oligarchs. Each side supports their own interests.
People tend to read it or watch news and treat it like the Sun Mirror or National enquirer, foxnews...

If you want to test the waters of how open the online experience is in Russia, take a moment and use Yandex . ru to get a glimpse of how crazy 😜 it is there.

There’s no Millenium censorship in Russia’s online access.

The big news told on western media about a new internet firewall being put up in Russia, is grossly misleading and misrepresented.
They are creating a firewall to stop any attempts to shut down or redirect online traffic in the country from the outside.
Think banks, shopping, emergency, schooling, state sites, etc...
They have created a server that records most accessed international online sites and put that traffic in a up to the minute cache around two to three days old. If there are attacks or interruptions, online users in Russia would get a response from that cache of sites when the firewall is active, thus keeping a somewhat active experience.

The reason behind that, is to allow their techs to detect and identify the attacks or reroute traffic to other nodes in a more plausible time frame.

Far from the great firewall used in China and their censorship. The state must ask the content providers directly to remove stuff they deem violates any rules of their gov.

Take Navalny, I know first hand his popularity in Russia is null, only Moscow or St Petersburg can he find 14% or less in support from the population come the ballots.
His reputation in Russia is not any better than corrupted Oligarchs. He is deemed a white nationalist and racist by a many there.

I don’t understand how the West can even consider he has any chance at becoming a president there. It’s like electing the KKK chief or the DR nationalist party to power.

The only group that supports him on a national level is a doctor’s group he has been funding there. Everybody discards their news and public statements because of that. More corrupted people.

Most people would believe all the garbage put out in western media about Russia. I recommend you take a trip there to see it first hand and then form a personal opinion.

Playa McConnell is only capable to view the world from his very narrow view clouded by his National political views.
He knows that he is right.
Many old people are not capable or willing to change their world views,
It would require a mental dexterity they do not possess.

The DR has limited resources to secure vaccines for their population.
The DR is not financially capable to pre-order and secure vaccine doses, as the high income countries did.

Just because research is Chinese or Russian, it does not negate all results.
Both countries have proven their capabilities in many sciences.
As to truthfulness of government statements and actions Playa's home hardly is a herald of universal truth.

If any country wants to send the best perceived vaccines to the DR, please do so.
Yet this is not happening.

Indeed, experts say that without significant policy changes, poor countriesmay not be vaccinated against covid-19 until 2023 or 2024.

In addition to vaccine procurement, there are also may vaccine opponents who will not be vaccinated with any vaccine.
Everyone will have to choose their own path in life.
We will see how this will affect the covid world, going forward.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
There are no long term studies yet available on any of the vaccines and the reports are mounting regarding both the low efficacy and, in some cases deadly, side effects......

And I still maintain, we do not know enough about any of the vaccines, especially the Chinese/Russian varieties, to make informed decisions in conjunction with one's own physician.

But if it gives people a false sense of security.............it does provide some benefit.....................so roll up those sleeves.............because the best vaccine you can get.........is the one you can get lol................and you will likely be vaccinated again..........as new strains and the protective bubble you think you are in............wears off.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Of course we don't know enough.
Creation of vaccines may take 10-15 years.
Covid vaccines were rushed, amazing that we have them already.
Side effects, long term efficacy, re-immunizations, all need to be studied.

Regardless, it's not a laughing matter.
See what is happening in the US and Brazil.
What do you see as viable solutions for Brazil and the DR for this matter?

‘Dreadful situation’: Brazil’s daily COVID death toll surpasses 4,000​

The coronavirus claimed 4,195 lives in the deadliest day of the pandemic yet for the hard-hit country, whose total reported death toll is now nearly 337,000, second only to the United States.
"We're in a dreadful situation, and we're not seeing effective measures by either state or federal governments" to respond, said epidemiologist Ethel Maciel of Espirito Santo Federal University.

"At the rate we're vaccinating -- 10 percent of the population (with a first dose) so far -- the only way to slow the extremely fast spread of the virus is an effective lockdown for at least 20 days," she told AFP.
Intensive care units are currently more than 90 percent full in 18 of Brazil's 27 states, according to public health institute Fiocruz. All but two of the rest are in the "critical alert zone" of more than 80 percent occupancy, it said.

Experts say the surge is partly caused by a local variant of the virus known as P1 that can re-infect people who have had the original strain and is believed to be more contagious.

The government has meanwhile struggled to secure enough vaccines, at times forcing authorities to suspend immunization drives in some areas.

RIO DE JANEIRO - Hard-hit Brazil's coronavirus death toll soared in March, its deadliest month yet in the pandemic, with 66,573 people killed by Covid-19, more than double the previous record.

The South American country, whose hospitals have been pushed dangerously close to collapse by a new surge of severe cases, has now recorded a total of 321,515 deaths from Covid-19, the health ministry said -- a toll second only to that of the United States.

Agence France-Presse​

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
And I still maintain, we do not know enough about any of the vaccines, especially the Chinese/Russian varieties, to make informed decisions in conjunction with one's own physician.

But if it gives people a false sense of security.............it does provide some benefit.....................so roll up those sleeves.............because the best vaccine you can get.........is the one you can get lol................and you will likely be vaccinated again..........as new strains and the protective bubble you think you are in............wears off.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

The number of COVID-19 patients under 40 in intensive care in Brazil surpassed older groups last month, a researcher said Sunday, amid a deadly surge driven partly by a new coronavirus variant.
The number of people aged 39 or younger in intensive care units with COVID-19 in March rose sharply to more than 11,000, or 52.2 percent of the total, said the Brazilian ICU Project.
That was up from 14.6 percent of total ICU patients early in the pandemic and around 45 percent from September through February.

"Previously, this was a population that would typically only develop a less-severe form of the disease and would not need intensive care. So the increase for this age group is very significant," said Dr. Ederlon Rezende, co-coordinator of the project, an initiative of the Brazilian Association of Intensive Medicine (AMIB).
He said various factors could be driving the increase.
Patients over 80, who fell from 13.6 percent to 7.8 percent of the total in Brazil's ICUs in March, are now largely vaccinated.
Young people are also more likely to expose themselves to the virus, whether because they have to leave home to work or believe they are less vulnerable, he said.
Another factor may be the new Brazilian variant, known as P1, which experts say is partly responsible for the country's COVID-19 death toll exploding in March.
The numbers suggest that P1, which can re-infect people who have had the original strain of the virus, may also be more virulent, Rezende said.

"The patients arriving in ICUs now are younger, have no pre-existing conditions and are developing more severe cases of the virus, too," he told AFP.
The number of ICU patients without pre-existing conditions increased by nearly a third in March, to 30.3 percent of the total.

Chinese COVID-19 vaccine maintains protection in variant-plagued Brazil

As potentially more dangerous coronavirus variants spread worldwide, scientists and clinicians have raced to discover how well the available COVID-19 vaccines protect against the mutant strains. Preliminary results from a large study of health care workers now suggest one dose of CoronaVac, a vaccine developed by a Chinese company, is still about 50% effective against symptomatic COVID-19 in a Brazilian city where more than three-fourths of new cases are caused by the highly transmissible variant known as P.1.

That real-world protection is about the same level clinical trials saw with two doses of CoronaVac against the standard, or “wild type,” pandemic coronavirus in the country, suggesting the variant’s mutations have not increased SARS-CoV-2’s ability to evade vaccine-evoked immune responses.

Jan 9, 2004
Australia has halted plans to purchase the J&J one shot vaccine:

The US regulators have just announced a "temporary" halt on the J&J one shot vaccine;

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This just goes to show how well the Dominican Republic is doing in it's vaccination plans. We have Sinovac, not J&J..................................And it is going as smooth as any country.................

Jan 9, 2004
Not just Sinovac....according to this story;

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't see anyone pushing any vaccine on anyone here on DR1. You don't want a vaccine? Don't get one.

Reactions: cavok and SKY

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I don't see anyone pushing any vaccine on anyone here on DR1. You don't want a vaccine? Don't get one.
Then you might want to re-read the all the posts Winde. "Pushing" ? No need to push as I said your choice is only one in the DR. I have already stated here on DR1 that I have gotton the vaccine. Don't remember?? My references were to the Chinese vaccine NOT whether one should get a vaccine or not.

Have a nice day. :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Then you might want to re-read the all the posts Winde. "Pushing" ? No need to push as I said your choice is only one in the DR. I have already stated here on DR1 that I have gotton the vaccine. Don't remember?? My references were to the Chinese vaccine NOT whether one should get a vaccine or not.

Have a nice day. :)
No, I don't care. I really don't care what vaccine you or anyone else got outside of my own family. And I don't care if anyone pushed a vaccine. And I don't care to go back and confirm or deny if anyone did push a vaccine. I never noticed anyone pushing a vaccine and that is good enough for me.

Reactions: johne
Status
Not open for further replies.