Progreso and ScotiaBank

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I hope this will improve things. I'm a Progreso customer and was very close to closing my account and moving elsewhere. For the most part, I was satisfied with their service, but their insistence on using AmEx as their debit card has left me high and dry on a number of occasions. Their cards are also not compatible with many ATMs here either.

AmEx is slowly becoming obsolete in my opinion.

I'll hold out and see if things improve then.
Amex was a big deal when IBM Selectrics were at the height of their popularity.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
I used to be able to withdraw $30k with 150 pesos fee here in Santiago. Since the merger my max is 10k, not happy.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Agree with SkyBlue
Scota is a bunch of thieves. Used to be able to withdraw 30k with a 150rd fee at progresso now with Scota it's a max of 10k with a 200rd fee. Don't know about the limit depending on atm and branch. but was the same at Scota on Duarte in Barrio China and the National on El Conde both SD. So have yet to see the limit any different WW.

Reactions: SkyBlues

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Agree with SkyBlue
Scota is a bunch of thieves. Used to be able to withdraw 30k with a 150rd fee at progresso now with Scota it's a max of 10k with a 200rd fee. Don't know about the limit depending on atm and branch. but was the same at Scota on Duarte in Barrio China and the National on El Conde both SD. So have yet to see the limit any different WW.
Repeat after me

I do not pay ATM fees.

ATM's get their income, the valuta exchange. Any additional charge, just walk away.

Now, was that so hard?

• Love
Reactions: Caonabo

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Try Assoc Duarte.... I get 20-30,000 at a time --- FREE!!!
new on me where are they at I pay no ATM fee from my bank do not know of any bank that does not charge a fee for usage of their atm when using a card from a different bank except for associated bank networks

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
new on me where are they at I pay no ATM fee from my bank do not know of any bank that does not charge a fee for usage of their atm when using a card from a different bank except for associated bank networks
Scotiabank Cabarete which I frequently visits, do not charge my foreign card ATM fees.

If they ever considering ATM fees, I have two other ATM's to choose from.

Reactions: Caonabo

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Shot in the dark

Do you own AmEx card

Those shots never seem to hit btw. :cry:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Amex charges 4.5% per transaction that’s why less and less merchants use it..

yes it used to be an admired card, hard to get even, but......now it's just a green or gold card good for using as a flimsy putty knife

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The times - They are achangin'

Dear (a) Customer:
We have eliminated the monthly fee for accounts without movement after 6 months or more, effective today , May 27, 2020. We invite you to consult our website updated rate.

Thanks for choosing us!

Progress Bank.

No more inactivity fees and they tell me I need to nothing about my accounts or international transfers
The rollover is automatic
That is great for the repeat occasional tourist.
Frankly I think the go to bank for Gringos on the North American variety (shhh..we don't want it crowded) is Banco Santa Cruz.
Never a line, the ATM is working 99% of time, supplied with cash and they are reasonable in the time & effort to open an account.
And improving each month.
One day to credit your account from a US transfer

• Angry
Reactions: etolw