Projects that did not happen on the North Coast

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I will start the list:

The Cabarete Bypass - announced, started and stopped

The new road from Santiago to La Grand Parada - announced and rescinded as not worth it.

Widening the highway from Puerto Plata to Sosua to 4 lanes. Announced and never mentioned again.

Redevelopment of the AI resort near Perla Marina - given up after the import taxes were too high for the fixtures desired. Abinader was involved.

The Miracle Mile (on the way to La Boca) - Russian money never spent except on some advertising.

Dream City west of Sosua - Scientologist money never spent except on advertising. It would have been a massive project. Land owned by government/Banreservas seems to have stopped this one.

Ritz Carlton Reserve (also at La Boca) started and stopped by the DR government for environmental reasons.

Cabarete Green Garden - A project across from the Kite Beach area that started and never continued.

A project I cannot think of the name of along the ocean just east of Cabarete center. They put up a sign, some huts and nothing else.

The Rizt Condos (yep spelled that way) BUT, it finally did get finished under another name.

Any more? This is only about projects that did not happen, at least not yet.

• Angry
Reactions: HDR

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
I will start the list:

The Cabarete Bypass - announced, started and stopped

The new road from Santiago to La Grand Parada - announced and rescinded as not worth it.

Widening the highway from Puerto Plata to Sosua to 4 lanes. Announced and never mentioned again.

Redevelopment of the AI resort near Perla Marina - given up after the import taxes were too high for the fixtures desired. Abinader was involved.

The Miracle Mile (on the way to La Boca) - Russian money never spent except on some advertising.

Dream City west of Sosua - Scientologist money never spent except on advertising. It would have been a massive project. Land owned by government/Banreservas seems to have stopped this one.

Ritz Carlton Reserve (also at La Boca) started and stopped by the DR government for environmental reasons.

Cabarete Green Garden - A project across from the Kite Beach area that started and never continued.

A project I cannot think of the name of along the ocean just east of Cabarete center. They put up a sign, some huts and nothing else.

The Rizt Condos (yep spelled that way) BUT, it finally did get finished under another name.

Any more? This is only about projects that did not happen, at least not yet.

Your list is pretty much complete. I do believe that Abinader owns the resort near Perlina, fully or in part, and had high hopes that (partly becauce of this....) he and PRM was going to focus on NC after Danilo & co had been focused on Punta Cana for over a decade. So disappointed.

Reactions: windeguy
Aug 21, 2007
The project Dream City stopped during COVID. It is now picked up again. The person behind it has gazillions and this is like a monopoly game. He is doing a great job with the planning of every single minute aspect. I believe it truly will happen, but is going to take a bit of time before you ever see construction. Planning something like this takes contracts and contracts, permissions and taxes. Lots of people to handle each and every aspect. The guy know what he is doing. I, too, was a doubter until I spoke with someone who is directly involved.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The project Dream City stopped during COVID. It is now picked up again. The person behind it has gazillions and this is like a monopoly game. He is doing a great job with the planning of every single minute aspect. I believe it truly will happen, but is going to take a bit of time before you ever see construction. Planning something like this takes contracts and contracts, permissions and taxes. Lots of people to handle each and every aspect. The guy know what he is doing. I, too, was a doubter until I spoke with someone who is directly involved.
He'll be dead before Dream City construction is started

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Last updates of Punta Bergantin / Planet Hollywood movie studio projects in Puerto Plata Dominican Republic.

JJ

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had no idea Dreams City was anything but a past dream. Yes, the Scientologists have access to some cash.

Did they work out the details of buying the land they needed from Banreservas/DR government? It will be huge if it happens. Connections and contracts indeed. Interesting if your contact is correct.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Your list is pretty much complete. I do believe that Abinader owns the resort near Perlina, fully or in part, and had high hopes that (partly becauce of this....) he and PRM was going to focus on NC after Danilo & co had been focused on Punta Cana for over a decade. So disappointed.
I was talking to the very frustrated project manager. Abinader was one of 3 partners involved. They had the money, but ran out of desire because the government made it so difficult. The project manager said it was like trying to herd cats, quit and the project fell apart.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
NC has no hospitals? Where they can go for medical?
The missing hospital the government has promised for years to build is one close to Sosua that is public.
There are private clinics, but the nearest public hospital is in Puerto Plata. That said, it is very likely anyone that
posts on this forum would ever choose to use a public hospital anywhere in the DR.

Reactions: aarhus

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
There are lots of abandoned construction projects in and around Cabarete currently halted and just making the place ugly. At the moment ground to a halt after a lot of work are the two blocks of five floors each in ProCab and the four floor block overlooking the middle of Cabarete main beach. Both just grey, ugly monstrosities.

As for the Cabarete bypass, both Danillo and Abinader were supposedly doing it and still nothing.

Aug 21, 2007
I had no idea Dreams City was anything but a past dream. Yes, the Scientologists have access to some cash.

Did they work out the details of buying the land they needed from Banreservas/DR government? It will be huge if it happens. Connections and contracts indeed. Interesting if your contact is correct.
My contact is the man's assistant. Why do you say they are scientologists? I would find that strange knowing where this man is from. I would say his money source is entirely different from what I know.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
The huge condominium project Tierra Del Sol - adjacent to Encuentro Beach / Hideaway Beach