Propane vs Gasoline. did research, here are the numbers

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I used propane when it still was a good deal, 4 gl. propane / 1 gl. gasoline in price... Balaguer last period 1996, propane cost RD $ 4.00 Versus RD $ 16.00 pesos gasoline gl.

Went to SD hire for a round trip to the American consulate and my car a Honda Accord took $ 48. pesos at the LPG station infront AMAPROSAN on my way back to Santiago. I was embarased of charging theses people $ 1,000. after that....

Phrase of DR commerce secretary... Si suben, suben y si bajan.... tambien suben!!!

JJ

Apr 13, 2011
I am also curious about natural gas in vehicles. I have spoken with a couple of people who did that change - and they seem to like it - less expensive weekly than propane. I do not know the install costs or the "wear-n-tear"/maintenance costs - but there seem to be more natural gas stations opening up. So - what do people know about Natural Gas in Vehicle situation nowadays? Is it worth it??

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
ok so i will open a hole in the bottom of my trunk to prevent this from happening. so if it leaks it can funnel into the hole and fly away!!!!! thank you. you have saved my life. the gods of propane gas must be proud of you
May I assume facts and science are of no interest to you? You made an inaccurate statement that could compromise safety. And you left out numerous and real indirtect costs from your analysis.

Everybody has opinions, but the more valuable ones are fully grounded in ALL the facts.

I was only trying to help. Sheesh...

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I am also curious about natural gas in vehicles. I have spoken with a couple of people who did that change - and they seem to like it - less expensive weekly than propane. I do not know the install costs or the "wear-n-tear"/maintenance costs - but there seem to be more natural gas stations opening up. So - what do people know about Natural Gas in Vehicle situation nowadays? Is it worth it??

Natural gas installation start @ 50+k the standard system. and the full start around 80,000.
it is worth? Yes
Its time to do it? Not
There are just 4 natural gas stations in the country. 2 in the capital. and you need to wait over an hour to fill your tank.
Wait few months to see what happen.

vid809

Jun 28, 2011
24.93peso/m3

for now. what if the price goes up just like the propane did. so people might be getting a good deal now but in a couple of years, they might be in the same boat as propane users. i think its just a matter of time untill natural gas is a couple of pesos behind propane

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
for now. what if the price goes up just like the propane did. so people might be getting a good deal now but in a couple of years, they might be in the same boat as propane users. i think its just a matter of time untill natural gas is a couple of pesos behind propane
Can't happen for the same reason. Propane price went up when the govenment ceased subsidizing the price. The government was subsidizing propane as it wa intended to be used as a cooking fuel, not to fuel vehicles. Natural gas is not currently subsidized so no subsidy exists which could be cancelled to effect it's price.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com

Not possible, there is a 10 years contract to keep that price.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I won't never/ever bother about converting my car to propane here in the US as I make in two hours the money to gas my car for the week!!!
It's different in DR when you need 1/4 part of your monthly salary to gas the vehicle for a weekly drive...

JJ

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i drive my car a lot for long distance travel. I feel I am saving money in propane. it costs me just 1100 pesos rt to and from santiago on my camry. i still have some gas left over. gasoline will cost me twice as much. I make this trip frequently so it is worth it for me. I know where to get my car serviced really cheap when it comes to maintaining and cleaning my gas system. Now if I decide to quit santiago and only live in SD (meaning, less long drives) i will take out the propane system and only use gasoline. There is some truth to what cobraboy is saying.
AZB