Prostate problems Dominicans

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I don’t know if many of you have a lot of contact with Dominicans, we do.
We noticed how many Dominicans have prostate problems. The 50+ talk about it frequently.
I am absolutely not medical educated so I wonder if anyone could have a clue why?
Genetics? The amount of carbs?
Lack of hygiene?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I don’t know if many of you have a lot of contact with Dominicans, we do.
We noticed how many Dominicans have prostate problems. The 50+ talk about it frequently.
I am absolutely not medical educated so I wonder if anyone could have a clue why?
Genetics? The amount of carbs?
Lack of hygiene?
Why would you hypothesize lack of hygiene? I can't see that making a cause.

Reactions: David B

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Not really unusual read below.

Prostate enlargement is a very common condition associated with ageing. More than 1 in 3 of all men over 50 will have some symptoms of prostate enlargement. It's not known why the prostate gets bigger as you get older, but it is not caused by cancer and does not increase your risk of developing prostate cancer.

Reactions: JD Jones
Aug 21, 2007
Correct, Sky. My husband had prostrate cancer and went through treatment. We went to 3 urologists before we got good answers and felt comfortable. We we learned is that prostrate cancer is slow growing. If left untreated, men may suffer symptoms, but they will probably die of old age first. Many men have prostrate cancer and do not even know. My husband did go through treatment and is now fine. We are told that it may return in 15 years, but he will probably die of old age or some other condition first.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Its just so common. And darker skinned men are more at risk so I'm pretty sure that's why its more prevalent in DR than in majority white countries.

According to a study I've read half of 80 year old men have undiagnosed prostate cancer but die from other causes. This is shown on autopsy.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Reactions: DR fan1990

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I was diagnosed in 2016 after my PSA went crazy. Mine was aggressive so it had to go. I ended up doing a HIFU procedure mainly because I didn't want to go through yet another surgery( I've had a few for a multitude of reasons)
The great thing about HIFU is it's done on an outpatient basis and has a very high survival rate.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I was diagnosed in 2016 after my PSA went crazy. Mine was aggressive so it had to go. I ended up doing a HIFU procedure mainly because I didn't want to go through yet another surgery( I've had a few for a multitude of reasons)
The great thing about HIFU is it's done on an outpatient basis and has a very high survival rate.
Did you have that treatment here?

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
"Almost all men get cancer of the prostate if they live long enough."

-Christopher Hitchens

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Did you have that treatment here?
Yes. Oddly enough, I was going to get it removed at the Miami VA Hospital, probably one of the best places in the world to get the surgery. The morning of the surgery, I was looking at a newspaper and there was a full-page ad for the HIFU procedure. If there ever was a sign, that was it.
I cancelled the VA appointment, went to the urologists office I saw in the paper, and told them I wanted to do it. We started to do the paperwork, and the lady asked me for my address.

I told her I lived in the DR, and she looked at me and said "Why do you want to do it here if you can do it there?" It caught me off-guard because none of my doctors or urologists here ever mentioned it.

I made a quick call to Cedimat, confirmed they would do it, and asked me when I wanted to do it. I flew back a couple of days later and the rest is history.

The cost in Miami would have been 28K, here it was 10K. (Miami VA didn't have it) I Paid out of pocket because insurance wouldn't cover it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have seen the ads/billboards in SD for robotic prostate surgery.

Be careful and study first, as JD says.

My friend had the surgery at 62..... that was last he saw of a cabana or naked woman.
As often happens, it spread to his bones.... he just died this month...13/14 yrs later but his condition at the end was untenable.

Assisted death in Canada

My best friend and a true lover of women.... tough several years with no sex

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I have seen the ads/billboards in SD for robotic prostate surgery.

Be careful and study first, as JD says.

My friend had the surgery at 62..... that was last he saw of a cabana or naked woman.
As often happens, it spread to his bones.... he just died this month...13/14 yrs later but his condition at the end was untenable.

Assisted death in Canada

My best friend and a true lover of women.... tough several years with no sex
Sorry to hear about your friend Bill. During my treatment last summer, I spoke to several men who were treated for prostate cancer. Only one said he developed cancer again later on in life. It was bone cancer diagnosed early, localized and five external radiation sessions too care of the problem.

Once you hit age 70, surgery is not an option in Canada. The risks are greater and the results are not great. Surgery does have an increased risk of impotence and/or incontinence.

My PSA level held steady around 2 for years and within two years it jumped to slightly above 6. I was early diagnosed at age 73.

My treatment regimen was hormone therapy, chemo therapy, followed by brachytherapy and a series of external radiation sessions. My chemotherapy was lupron acetate injections which lowered my testosterone and elevated my estrogen. It shut down my sex drive for one year.

My first post treatment PSA test result was excellent, .05, less than 1. Being in good shape allowed me different treatment options. Opting for the brachytherapy reduced my external radiation treatment from 30 to 15.

My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer at age 85. His treatment was a shot every three months to limit the growth of new cancer cells. He lived comfortably to age 89 and died of heart problems.

My survival rate is better than 95%. An interesting rabbit hole to go down but one I don’t want to go down again. As some posters have noted, it’s primarily an ageing thing for a large percentage of men. Take care!

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Sorry to hear about your friend Bill. During my treatment last summer, I spoke to several men who were treated for prostate cancer. Only one said he developed cancer again later on in life. It was bone cancer diagnosed early, localized and five external radiation sessions too care of the problem.

Once you hit age 70, surgery is not an option in Canada. The risks are greater and the results are not great. Surgery does have an increased risk of impotence and/or incontinence.

My PSA level held steady around 2 for years and within two years it jumped to slightly above 6. I was early diagnosed at age 73.

My treatment regimen was hormone therapy, chemo therapy, followed by brachytherapy and a series of external radiation sessions. My chemotherapy was lupron acetate injections which lowered my testosterone and elevated my estrogen. It shut down my sex drive for one year.

My first post treatment PSA test result was excellent, .05, less than 1. Being in good shape allowed me different treatment options. Opting for the brachytherapy reduced my external radiation treatment from 30 to 15.

My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer at age 85. His treatment was a shot every three months to limit the growth of new cancer cells. He lived comfortably to age 89 and died of heart problems.

My survival rate is better than 95%. An interesting rabbit hole to go down but one I don’t want to go down again. As some posters have noted, it’s primarily an ageing thing for a large percentage of men. Take care!
Thanks for that. I had a PSA March 2022. 1.14. will tr again in 2025 after I hit 70.

I would prefer to make my own decisions, not let some govt database dictate what can or can't happen. I don't know Medicare's policy on the in the USA

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Thanks for that. I had a PSA March 2022. 1.14. will tr again in 2025 after I hit 70.

I would prefer to make my own decisions, not let some govt database dictate what can or can't happen. I don't know Medicare's policy on the in the USA
Most doctors will tell you that they now rely primarily on symptoms. The PSA test doesn’t carry the credibility it did in the past. I went from annual testing to six month testing at age 70 because my father had prostate cancer. That led to my early diagnosis. My cancer was localized and ranged from high grade to lower grade in different areas of my prostate. I didn’t have any symptoms so the testing was important. I was taking an otc supplement Saw Palmetto to firm up my prostate but it was masking the real problem. I see loads of ads for otc treatments for BPH. If you have a problem with frequent urination, see a urologist. Stay away from otc supplements.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Did you go thru HIFU here in the DR. Where?

Sorry did not read all thread, ignore already answer.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010

From your experience can checking PSA level once a year be good enough for early detection?

Sorry already answer, ignore this Question

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Just keep in mind that Dominicans evolved from a very small founder population. Very few Dominicans are entirely of recent foreign origin. Most are either direct of colonial stock or mixed colonial origins with recent migrants. That's why certain things like Taino DNA is so widespread and includes all types of looking Dominicans whether they have a feature or two that reminds of the indians are no indian feature at all. If there is Taino DNA, there will also be DNA of the Spaniah settlers/conquistadors in the very beginning and DNA from the first Africans that essentially were crossed the Atlantic Ocean. On top of that are origins of much more recent times inclusing those of Spaniards and Africans and others that arrived in the later century.

With a small founder population comes other things such as from the beginning an elevated habit of cousin marriages. Think about it. When you hear things like at a certain point there were around 6,000 people in the entire colony. Today any barrio in Santo Domingo has more than 6,000 and yet, that's how many were in the entire colony at one point. That includes the babies and kids, the elderly, the handicapped, the deforms, the entire population. Plus, this population was scattered, it wasn't overwhelmingly concentrated in lets say Santo Domingo. Most people spent their entire lives within a radius of perhaps 15 km. It goes without saying that most people mated with people they already knew perhaps since childhood, literally close cousins. This is also part of the reason why with most Dominicans, you start to figure out their family tree and eventually all these people that don't know each other have the same ancestors. A large segment of Dominicans are related to each other at a certain level. This is not the "all of humanity evolved from Africa" because to find a common ancestor you have to go back more years, perhaps thousands of years before Columbus arrived in 1492. This is more of finding common ancestors a mere 3 or 4 generations ago.

Given the very smsll founder population, there will be certain genetic diseases that for some reason stuck with this population more than others and vice versa. It could be the case of Dominican men having a higher than normal prostate problems. It could also be the reason for some other stuff that is more common among Dominicans, auch as a type of balding which is aggressive and has no real pattern as it's diffused. Notice there are many Dominican men, young and old, that are losing their hair this way while it isn't common to see in many other populations.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Just keep in mind that Dominicans evolved from a very small founder population. Very few Dominicans are entirely of recent foreign origin. Most are either direct of colonial stock or mixed colonial origins with recent migrants. That's why certain things like Taino DNA is so widespread and includes all types of looking Dominicans whether they have a feature or two that reminds of the indians are no indian feature at all. If there is Taino DNA, there will also be DNA of the Spaniah settlers/conquistadors in the very beginning and DNA from the first Africans that essentially were crossed the Atlantic Ocean. On top of that are origins of much more recent times inclusing those of Spaniards and Africans and others that arrived in the later century.

With a small founder population comes other things such as from the beginning an elevated habit of cousin marriages. Think about it. When you hear things like at a certain point there were around 6,000 people in the entire colony. Today any barrio in Santo Domingo has more than 6,000 and yet, that's how many were in the entire colony at one point. That includes the babies and kids, the elderly, the handicapped, the deforms, the entire population. Plus, this population was scattered, it wasn't overwhelmingly concentrated in lets say Santo Domingo. Most people spent their entire lives within a radius of perhaps 15 km. It goes without saying that most people mated with people they already knew perhaps since childhood, literally close cousins. This is also part of the reason why with most Dominicans, you start to figure out their family tree and eventually all these people that don't know each other have the same ancestors. A large segment of Dominicans are related to each other at a certain level. This is not the "all of humanity evolved from Africa" because to find a common ancestor you have to go back more years, perhaps thousands of years before Columbus arrived in 1492. This is more of finding common ancestors a mere 3 or 4 generations ago.

Given the very smsll founder population, there will be certain genetic diseases that for some reason stuck with this population more than others and vice versa. It could be the case of Dominican men having a higher than normal prostate problems. It could also be the reason for some other stuff that is more common among Dominicans, auch as a type of balding which is aggressive and has no real pattern as it's diffused. Notice there are many Dominican men, young and old, that are losing their hair this way while it isn't common to see in many other populations.
Im not aware of any DR genome studies to identify a prevalence of specific or general diseases. Something that would be relatively easy to do with an island population. The area I live in parallels the DR culturally. An aboriginal population intermingled with European settlers. People who lived in small remote communities and married relatives within those communities.

A genome study of our population was completed a few years ago. It identified general genetic disease traits as well as family specific traits. The one thing most men can’t escape is their genetic family history. If your father has prostate cancer, it increases your risk of getting it. It’s the same for heart disease. My father developed heart problems at age 52. My heart problem started at age 70. His prostate cancer was diagnosed at age 85. Mine at age 73.

We know that certain diets and lifestyles can be accelerators of different types of cancer. Sugar is a proven source of nutrition for some cancer cells. There is diet information available on what to avoid to lower your risk of prostate cancer. The possible prevalence of early prostate cancer in DR men may be a combination of genetics and diet, a diet high in fat and sugar.

Medical research is already working on a pill form of prostate cancer treatment. Very financially lucrative. Less intrusive treatment options like HIFU (Ultrasound) and Brachytherapy are available. Chemo shots are available to control it.

All my treatments and shots ($1500 per shot) were covered by our medical system. No cost to me. My travel and accommodation costs were covered by my aboriginal medical insurance. My dentist had HIFU in another province at a private clinic for $10,000. He didn’t want surgery and was willing to pay out of his own pocket. Good results and no risk of impotence or incontinence. The only inconvenience was a catheter in place for two days.

The bottom line is early detection can save your life. Annual PSA tests and semi annual testing as you get older are early indicators, especially if your family has a history of prostate cancer.

Reactions: Lucifer