prostitution affects tourism in sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
....just saw some police that are new to me...Federal Police...all black uniform, face masks,full auto M1 carbines(usa military issue)...2 of these guys on a motorcycle, chase down and arrest 2 bad guys on other motorcycle...very impressive chase and capture ending with both bad guys having said rifles put to their heads , and being told to put up their hands up or be shot.....send some of these guys to Sosua, if you want laws enforced...they were ready to pull the trigger..........Doc..............

Saw them in Cangrejo yesterday. Just thought the black uniforms were new PN issue. They had black helmets on questioning two guys on a moto.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am a skeptic that a government can successfully stop people from engaging in a legal activity.

It is NOT and has NEVER BEEN about stopping prostitution. It is about reducing the visibility of prostitution and the reputation the DR has for prostitution with sex tourists (aka whore mongers). People don't seem to get that this is the point and not stopping prostitution.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It is NOT and has NEVER BEEN about stopping prostitution. It is about reducing the visibility of prostitution and the reputation the DR has for prostitution with sex tourists (aka whore mongers). People don't seem to get that this is the point and not stopping prostitution.

You have made this point many times, but if it's about reducing the visibility of prostitution, why did they close Passions, CMP, and more recently Elvis' place, where all the fun and games took place behind closed doors - thus forcing it onto the streets?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As ever,to the advantage of a few,--- and the detriment of many.
Sound familiar?

The number of people that benefit in the DR from prostitution is insignificant to the total number of tourists entering the DR. If you feel Sosua and Boca Chica are the most important areas of the DR when it comes to tourism, then just about everyone else in the world would disagree with that assessment.

The DR government wants to decrease the reputation certain areas in the DR have for sex tourism so that other types of tourists will find those areas more suitable. It really is that simple in concept. In reality we all know how hard it is for the government to do anything with a coherent plan. At this time they have organized a group of government and business leaders to attempt to make this change.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You have made this point many times, but if it's about reducing the visibility of prostitution, why did they close Passions, CMP, and more recently Elvis' place, where all the fun and games took place behind closed doors - thus forcing it onto the streets?

I can only guess the reason. Here is one reason possible: An owner of an establishment cannot benefit financially from having prostitutes work for or around him by taking a cut or arranging that service. That is illegal in the DR and is considered pimping. The "business" of the prostitute is not illegal when it is between the prostitute and the John directly. Paying any type of fee for this service to a third part is illegal. Even the business in the far eastern part of Sosua that was relocated from the side street in Cabarete down toward the ocean near Janet's Supermarket was shut down for this reason.

The girls all have cell phones and Whatsapp. Johns directly contacting them should not be an issue. No need to be "on the street" at all with modern technology.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
right Windy

Remember.... over 65% of all arriving flights are PUJ
That's a big number.... the rest of country sees a fraction of the tourist arrivals

Jul 28, 2014
The DR government wants to decrease the reputation certain areas in the DR have for sex tourism so that other types of tourists will find those areas more suitable. It really is that simple in concept. In reality we all know how hard it is for the government to do anything with a coherent plan. At this time they have organized a group of government and business leaders to attempt to make this change.

I understand what your point is, or rather, what the Gov. is trying to do, and I am glad you used the word, "attempt". Playing Devil's advocate, simply, they may accomplish their mission, but, this all will just transfer somewhere else, It's like the saying goes, "It's like trying to herd cats..."

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I would say you are right. Those places were illegal operations and were "soft targets" where the government could show they are taking positive steps to reduce prostitution. Politically expedient.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

Good question. But cmp and Passions were not exactly low key. Lots of neon, so still pretty much "in your face".
Elvis's was very low key so maybe it just took them awhile to get to it. Who knows. There are still a couple places in town that are slipping under the radar.

The goal is push it out of town, to anywhere. I think they're finally making headway.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I must have misunderstood the meaning of a step by step plan to eliminate prostitution in Sosua and Cabarete. Sosua news headline says reduce then the article says eliminate. Seems like 2 different things.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I understand what your point is, or rather, what the Gov. is trying to do, and I am glad you used the word, "attempt". Playing Devil's advocate, simply, they may accomplish their mission, but, this all will just transfer somewhere else, It's like the saying goes, "It's like trying to herd cats..."

Transferring somewhere else is indeed a potential solution to the issue in Sosua.

After reading countless stories over the years on this topic, the goal by the government has been to eliminate the visibility of prostitution and to reduce those effects. Lofty goals.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
The new leaders group is nothing new, the same guys have been going at it since 2010, pigs fly before this lot manage to achieve anything...

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
There are plenty of high-end brothels in the DR. They're for the high-rollers and mostly sit inside gated communities. They're not going anywhere. The ones on the north coast cost a minimum of $1,000 dollars a night, and yes, it's busy. I'm certain that a few people here know which one i'm talking about. Another one in SD cost much more than $1,000 dollars a night and has Ukrainians. It ain't going anywhere either. And neither are the ones scattered around on the north coast. You need a whole lot of money to play, and these are not businesses that people can walk into off the street.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
... make it an offense for non-citizens/legal residents to engage in sexual commerce. One or two high profile arrests and viola the "sex tourism destination" moniker evaporates. For some, might make getting residency a more attractive proposition.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Good question. But cmp and Passions were not exactly low key. Lots of neon, so still pretty much "in your face".
Elvis's was very low key so maybe it just took them awhile to get to it. Who knows. There are still a couple places in town that are slipping under the radar.

The goal is push it out of town, to anywhere. I think they're finally making headway.

You do realize Elvis had well over 100 choices on the menu prior to his demise?
Not exactly "Low Key" rolling up to the villa with 15 guests for The Jet Blue crew on holiday!

What about the pea-brains that post their exploits right on youtube?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Back to the Brothels...

The High-end brothels are not going anywhere. They cost at least $1,000 a night (a few of them cost much more), and they're busy. Yes, they're for the high-rollers, but they're also used by professional sports people. Last year i posted some photos of a couple NFL players who roll in every year off-season. One of those guys comes down every spring and he's not hanging out at Passions. I'm sure he would not even walk in there. How could he? With the threat of photos being taken. He and his friends stay in high-end gated communities where the high-end brothels are located--not even cell phones are allowed outside of the rooms.

There's way, way too much money for it to go away. Some of the people are blowing $2000 to 4000 a night--per person.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
The new leaders group is nothing new, the same guys have been going at it since 2010, pigs fly before this lot manage to achieve anything...
Difference now is , President is one pushing them to make changes..not just local politicians..big difference

Status
Not open for further replies.