Public Hospital for Sosua

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Instead of the beach renovation thread, a discussion on a new hospital built by the government for Sosua could go on here.

There has never been any interest by any company I have heard about regarding a new hospital that expats would actually go to.
CMC is the best we have locally in the Sosua/Cabarete area and probably will be for many years to come. If having a hospital
less than 30 minutes from you is important, then keep that one option in mind.

Promises and more promises for years and years but still no public hospital for Sosua. If you have ever been to a public hospital in the DR, you
would realize why this would not be very important to the expat population, but would be for those who don't have any medical insurance.
They would not have to go all the way to Puerto Plata.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I must have missed where this project was, uhm, "Exectued",
unless of course it means the project was "Killed".

Project Status: Executed
Industry: Health

ibtgroup-Dominicana-Sosua-Hospital.jpg

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And a previous thread on this 10 years old and counting:

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Over 10yrs ago

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
My very best friend suffered a heart attack in Sosua six weeks ago,by the time help arrived he was dead. In case anyone wants to challenge me on my truthfulness I will give them his sister and daughter's phone numbers.
Very Sorry for your Loss, what was the response time if we may ask .

Reactions: CristoRey

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
My very best friend suffered a heart attack in Sosua six weeks ago,by the time help arrived he was dead. In case anyone wants to challenge me on my truthfulness I will give them his sister and daughter's phone numbers.
I wouldn't doubt that for a second. Response time will not be like it is in the US. Very tragic, but that is the risk we all take living here. Even if an ambulance had arrived quickly , with the bridge in Cangrejo out, the odds he would have made it are slim. My condolences.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
It's a big problem in the area. This is not the first case I have heard of. I am sorry for your loss Tom. It's sad.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
You will NEVER see a Dominican family waiting for an ambulance here. Any transportation available is used to get the person to a hospital...............
This is true. I suppose the only option for the area is CMC.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I wouldn't doubt that for a second. Response time will not be like it is in the US. Very tragic, but that is the risk we all take living here. Even if an ambulance had arrived quickly , with the bridge in Cangrejo out, the odds he would have made it are slim. My condolences.
Wouldn’t you go CMC first , stabilize then transfer need be?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wouldn’t you go CMC first , stabilize then transfer need be?
Depends. For sure I wouldn't check on the beach renovation along the way.

• Haha
Reactions: nigrarosa

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You will NEVER see a Dominican family waiting for an ambulance here. Any transportation available is used to get the person to a hospital...............
100% agreed.
First vehicle to arrive at a serious accident is the ambulance.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
100% agreed.
First vehicle to arrive at a serious accident is the ambulance.
And they wouldn't stop at Sosua Beach either.

• Haha
Reactions: nigrarosa

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
This is true. I suppose the only option for the area is CMC.
It's a pretty good option in most cases. It is not a good option for many Dominicans that don't have adequate insurance. Since it's a private clinic, the most they will do is bandage you up and send you to a public hospital like Ricardo Limardo in Pto. Plata.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It's a pretty good option in most cases. It is not a good option for many Dominicans that don't have adequate insurance. Since it's a private clinic, the most they will do is bandage you up and send you to a public hospital like Ricardo Limardo in Pto. Plata.
During my first trip to Sosua I was still wearing some stiches I picked up in Jamaica a few weeks earlier. (bar fight but i didnt start it) When it came time to have them removed someone recommended CMC to me so I went.
They had me in and out of there in under 30 minutes. The Doctor was young but nice as can be and removed them at no charge.
Free? Yep.
I think I threw him like 500 pesos afterwards and told him lunch is on me.
Since then I've recommended CMC to a few dozen visitors/ tourist in Sosua. Never heard anyone say anything negative about the care they recieved there.

Reactions: cavok

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
CMC isn't much to speak of. Recently I took someone with a broken foot to CMC, they took X-rays and then wanted too much for the cast. So they send the X-rays to his smart phone and off we went to Puerto plata public. When they opened the X-rays they were for someone else's chest. Had to do it all again. I guess they try but that isn't what you want when you have to go to the hospital.

Reactions: windeguy