Public Hospital for Sosua

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Medicare Advantage plan costs are based on the state/your location. Not all are equal. Some are very restrictive. My father was denied going to a heart hospital for his valve replacement, he had to go to a regular local hospital. He made it through surgery but in a coma. He died without ever regaining consciousness. (He was in good shape, and they told him in the hospital that he could postpone it if he preferred, it wasn’t an emergency)

I swore that day I’d never accept an advantage plan, even if they paid me.

We have a supplemental plan instead. It has a $250 deductible for international emergencies. Thankfully, we’ve never had to use it in DR.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Very true AE. Each state has their own plans/rules, some not so good. We have insurance in the DR but that may change soon.

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
You are getting robbed. I use a United Health care Medicare Advantage plan and pay NOTHING in addtion to Part B. And I have had 3 Major operations and paid no co-pays.......Also there are NO referrals necessary. I can book appointments from here and just show up with NO co pay......
Paying nothing really isn't the case. Surgery is covered under Medicare Part A which does have an annual deductible for most. $1,600 for 2023. True based on your particular plan you might not end up having to make a payment for the deductible as the Medicare advantage plan picks it up and pays it for you. However, you are paying a higher premium for that type of plan so basically you are paying the deductible or a portion of that deductible and copay every year through a higher premium.

Clearly if you need medical care you are for sure coming out ahead in the end with a plan that covers the deductible and co pays. But if you don't have a medical expense that would be covered under Part A then you are essentially paying for a deductible that you wouldn't have to pay in a plan where you are sharing the deductible.

Health insurance more than any other type of insurance should be tailored to each individuals needs

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Paying nothing really isn't the case. Surgery is covered under Medicare Part A which does have an annual deductible for most. $1,600 for 2023. True based on your particular plan you might not end up having to make a payment for the deductible as the Medicare advantage plan picks it up and pays it for you. However, you are paying a higher premium for that type of plan so basically you are paying the deductible or a portion of that deductible and copay every year through a higher premium.

Clearly if you need medical care you are for sure coming out ahead in the end with a plan that covers the deductible and co pays. But if you don't have a medical expense that would be covered under Part A then you are essentially paying for a deductible that you wouldn't have to pay in a plan where you are sharing the deductible.

Health insurance more than any other type of insurance should be tailored to each individuals needs
I pay the same as anyone else pays for Part B. Part A is free. There is NO EXTRA COST to me ever..............In case you do not understand I will make it simple for you. Whether I have Medicare Advantage or just straight Medicare my SS payments are EXACTLY the same..............

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I pay the same as anyone else pays for Part B. Part A is free. There is NO EXTRA COST to me ever..............In case you do not understand I will make it simple for you. Whether I have Medicare Advantage or just straight Medicare my SS payments are EXACTLY the same..............
Part A is not free because you also have to enroll in Part B which is a minimum of $170. But all of this varies by state if you have Advantage and your income goes above limits that qualifies you for the lowest rates

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Part A is not free because you also have to enroll in Part B which is a minimum of $170. But all of this varies by state if you have Advantage and your income goes above limits that qualifies you for the lowest rates
Wrong again. You can opt out of Part B and still get Part A for free........See below. If you get SS payments Part A is free.........Bottom line is if you paid enough to collect SS Part A is free.........

Part A (Hospital Insurance) costs. $0 for most people (because they or a spouse paid Medicare taxes long enough while working - generally at least 10 years). If you get Medicare earlier than age 65, you won't pay a Part A premium. This is sometimes called “premium-free Part A.”..

Did you look at the link I sent you for MA? Read it. Nothing extra. And eyeglass and some Dental is also covered. And free Gym plans galore............

You can voluntarily terminate your Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance). However, you may need to have a personal interview with Social Security to review the risks of dropping coverage and to assist you with your request.De

Reactions: cavok

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I would think telling them you do not live in the US would make termination pretty simple.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Medicare Advantage plans are technically called Medicare Replacement plans (just a few are, BC, UnitedHealthcare, Humana, Cigna, all have these plans). They take the place of Medicare. There are a lot of plans out there, all with different types of coverage. I am not aware of any that would have coverage in DR. I would think that would involve a separate plan that had international coverage.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have posted this before but it bears repeating.

Because I have employer-funded medical insurance (even in retirement) my yearly out of pocket medical costs are capped at $600 a year, plus prescription co-pays that are either 1 or 5 dollars apiece. Most of my meds are 90 day scripts, so the most I have EVER paid in a month is under 12 dollars for prescriptions.

I'm not required to have Part B because of my other coverage. That coverage also pays the Medicare deductible for hospital admissions. It also covers hospitalization in the DR.

Yes, I know I am fortunate. Just posted because there are some situations, like mine, which do not require Part B.

Reactions: keepcoming

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
You said in your other post you have a medicare advantage plan. That is an optional plan over and above Medicare Part A and B and you are paying an additional premium for that that coverage over and above Medicare Part A and B. You might not have any deductibles or co pays based on the plan you selected but you certainly are paying a premium for that coverage. Medicare Part A alone has a deductible

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
Wrong again. You can opt out of Part B and still get Part A for free........See below. If you get SS payments Part A is free.........Bottom line is if you paid enough to collect SS Part A is free.........

Part A (Hospital Insurance) costs. $0 for most people (because they or a spouse paid Medicare taxes long enough while working - generally at least 10 years). If you get Medicare earlier than age 65, you won't pay a Part A premium. This is sometimes called “premium-free Part A.”..

Did you look at the link I sent you for MA? Read it. Nothing extra. And eyeglass and some Dental is also covered. And free Gym plans galore............

You can voluntarily terminate your Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance). However, you may need to have a personal interview with Social Security to review the risks of dropping coverage and to assist you with your request.De
Wrong

As long as you have paid into the Medicare system long enough you will automatically be enrolled in Medicare Part A when you turn 65 unless you opt out of it. There is no premium for Part A. Part A covers hospital costs. And there is a deductible for Part A it just sometimes there is other coverage that pays for it.

Part B is for your normal health care and there is a premium paid for that
Part D is for prescriptions and there also is a premium paid for that
Part C is the Medicare Advantage plan you say you have. The premium and benefits depends on the type of plan you select but you must have Part B to also have Part C.

I am not buying the fact you say you never have to pay anything for any of your care.

Sandu

Jan 6, 2018
yearly traveler to sosua for several months per year......have always wondered about someone having emergency care in puerta plata or santiago hospitals......any good or bad stories....i am a canadian in my 60's and have always wondered...please share good or bad experiences...thanks

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would think telling them you do not live in the US would make termination pretty simple.
It is easy to opt out. They send you a form when you are 65 along with
Wrong

As long as you have paid into the Medicare system long enough you will automatically be enrolled in Medicare Part A when you turn 65 unless you opt out of it. There is no premium for Part A. Part A covers hospital costs. And there is a deductible for Part A it just sometimes there is other coverage that pays for it.

Part B is for your normal health care and there is a premium paid for that
Part D is for prescriptions and there also is a premium paid for that
Part C is the Medicare Advantage plan you say you have. The premium and benefits depends on the type of plan you select but you must have Part B to also have Part C.

I am not buying the fact you say you never have to pay anything for any of your care.
You can buy into anything you want. I had more but I will tell you of one. 10 hour major cancer operation. Two weeks in the hospital, one week was Intensive Care. U Miami Hospital in Miami. Cost was enormous. I paid ZERO. And if you want to make a wager I can prove it. I will be happy to take your money, because you have NO Clue................

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
It is easy to opt out. They send you a form when you are 65 along with

You can buy into anything you want. I had more but I will tell you of one. 10 hour major cancer operation. Two weeks in the hospital, one week was Intensive Care. U Miami Hospital in Miami. Cost was enormous. I paid ZERO. And if you want to make a wager I can prove it. I will be happy to take your money, because you have NO Clue................
Lol spin it however you want but we both know your not telling the whole story dude
You have already changed up more than one of your responses but I won't call you out on it anymore.
Just another DR1 know it all that gets all bent out of shape when called out on something.
Happy you survived your health issues though (y)