Public Masks: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Here in the streets of the D.R. one sees many people wearing all manner of masks: surgical, cloth, homemade, etc. And people will ask, Where is your protection?

I summarize the view of WHO as follows: Masks are not recommended for members of the public. They are recommended for those who have tested positive for Covid-19 and for medical practitioners who are treating patients who are positive. End of WHO paraphrase.

The virus that begets Covid-19 replicates in the nose and the throat. When ejected in a cough or a sneeze, the three points of entry are the mucosa of the eyes, or nose, or mouth.

Obviously, masks confer no protection from the entry of virus particles to the mucosa of the eyes; hence, the caution not to touch your eyes, albeit, in this case the example is for infection via surface contamination and not ejecta.

Secondly, masks that do not meet the N95 specification cannot filter virus particles whose diameter is in nm (nanometers), billionths of a meter.

Medical personnel use N95 masks along with face shields as well as other types of garb and have special procedures for donning and doffing them.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The idea is that it stops you touching your face. Or at least your mouth and nose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I saw a face mask on a profile foto on Whatsup today: One half of a coconut shell with a string tie left and right. LOL

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
I just read if you do not have a mask as well as wearing a pair of gloves, you can not enter Playaro Supermarket in Sosua.
Can any one else confirm this to be true?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I just read if you do not have a mask as well as wearing a pair of gloves, you can not enter Playaro Supermarket in Sosua.

It's true as of yesterday afternoon. You need a mask and gloves. You can wear any type of mask and any type of gloves.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Here in the streets of the D.R. one sees many people wearing all manner of masks: surgical, cloth, homemade, etc. And people will ask, Where is your protection?

I summarize the view of WHO as follows: Masks are not recommended for members of the public. They are recommended for those who have tested positive for Covid-19 and for medical practitioners who are treating patients who are positive. End of WHO paraphrase.

The virus that begets Covid-19 replicates in the nose and the throat. When ejected in a cough or a sneeze, the three points of entry are the mucosa of the eyes, or nose, or mouth.

Obviously, masks confer no protection from the entry of virus particles to the mucosa of the eyes; hence, the caution not to touch your eyes, albeit, in this case the example is for infection via surface contamination and not ejecta.

Secondly, masks that do not meet the N95 specification cannot filter virus particles whose diameter is in nm (nanometers), billionths of a meter.

Medical personnel use N95 masks along with face shields as well as other types of garb and have special procedures for donning and doffing them.
Lucas, mask conversation is now 2 weeks old.

Why do you keep starting these ridiculous old news already discussed topics?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Think of it this way. The experts say it is not of much protection. However, it is a comfort to the wearer and a visual reminder to others to practice health precautions. The virus is a serious threat to everyone. The masks contain the sprays from sneezing and talking, sprays having other pathogens. Pathogens, such as colds and flu, that could infect others and weaken their immune systems, immune systems that need to be strong to fight off corona.

Regards, stay home and stay healthy,

PJT

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

True - stopped in their yesterday afternoon and they were require wrap-around sunglasses too to protect my eyes from any droplets

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It has always struck me as odd that the use of a mask that is designed to filter a virus is discouraged for the general public. I understand the use of a mask is not a complete solution, must be worn and fitted correctly, must not be reused and taking off a mask can contaminate your hands.

Regardless, a mask should offer other people some degree of protection from your expelled droplets of saliva and respiratory exhalations. At the same time, the right mask that fits properly should offer the wearer some degree of increased protection from directly inhaling those same contaminants expelled from others that you get close enough to.

Not perfect and no guarantees, but I feel wearing one can be better than nothing and more practical than a full face shield.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Public Masks: Part 1.....is there a part 2, 3, 4

For me there is a Part II which will discuss filtration specifications and make some comparisons using metric measures of the relative sizes of a sample bacterium and virion (virus particle), so that it will be easier to conceptualize why most masks that you see on the street fail. That's all I have planned but it requires a little more research. Maybe you will add the Part III, etc.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Think of it this way. The experts say it is not of much protection. However, it is a comfort to the wearer and a visual reminder to others to practice health precautions. The virus is a serious threat to everyone. The masks contain the sprays from sneezing and talking, sprays having other pathogens. Pathogens, such as colds and flu, that could infect others and weaken their immune systems, immune systems that need to be strong to fight off corona.

Regards, stay home and stay healthy,

PJT

Unfortunately, the "comfort" you describe derives from false security and indicates a misunderstanding of virus transfer. You mention that masks may confer protection from other pathogens. Both the "common cold" and influenza are viral infections and if a mask does not meet the proper filtration specification, it will fail.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Considerations

Unfortunately, the "comfort" you describe derives from false security and indicates a misunderstanding of virus transfer. You mention that masks may confer protection from other pathogens. Both the "common cold" and influenza are viral infections and if a mask does not meet the proper filtration specification, it will fail.

"Contain the sprays" means you or others have the benefit of not getting directly sprayed or spit in the face or other parts of your person from a mask wearer. It is a tissue, handkerchief, or the last resort shirt sleeve that is recommended to retard airborne spread of expulsed particles.

The filtration factor is about the the level of protection from pathogens "for the wearer".

The false comfort may be a security for the unknowing. We should be gracious at this time to appreciate their considerations of others.

Regards,

PJT

Status
Not open for further replies.