CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
It’s true, nothing left!. FB pages on Las Terrenas have images/videos

• Wow
Reactions: OldSkool

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Pity anyone running a business there. Just starting to get back to normal and now burnt down. Again

Reactions: OldSkool

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
I got sent a video from the painter I use in LT that the Fisherman's Village restaurant row burnt down again. This happened in 2012 and it took 2 years to reconstruct. Bet it was a kitchen fire. Don't they have fire extinguishers in the restaurants?

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Is there such a thing as "insurance jobs" in D.R. or are you s.o.l. when your investment is in ashes?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Very sad

I only went to LT for my restaurant in that strip (La Terrasse).....
Now gone

I wonder where I;ll go next.... If I return

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
It's all wood construction and they cook with propane tanks. The fireman can't get too close to the fire without risking multiple explosions. A fire waiting to happen IMO.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Is there such a thing as "insurance jobs" in D.R. or are you s.o.l. when your investment is in ashes?

Yes definitely. When you have insurance, they always send an inspector out to survey the loss, even for a small claim (in my experience at least) and they always want evidence that it's accidental. A lot of businesses are on their knees following the pandemic, it would have made sense for someone to claim. However, as has been said above, this is a wooden structure, people are cooking with gas, there is a lot of highly flammable alcohol around, and multiple restaurants who all have different approaches to safety.

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
So, does LT have it's own fire equipment, or is Sanchez the only recourse in the event of fire?

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Answers to a couple of questions.
1 - LT has it's own fire equipment, but the size of the fire was massive so Sanchez came to assist.
2 - It started around 6am so nobody would have been in the restaurants to use a fire extinguisher. By all accounts it started in the restaurant at the end and then basically just spread from one end to the other, very quickly.
3 - Learning from last time it burnt down, there was a single, large gas tank at the end with the CESTUR office. One video shows that being removed by the back hoe digger. No gas tanks were allowed in individual businesses.

A great shame to see it gone a 2nd time. Maybe in version 3 they will consider building in a sprinkler system?

Reactions: RonS

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Yes definitely. When you have insurance, they always send an inspector out to survey the loss, even for a small claim (in my experience at least) and they always want evidence that it's accidental. A lot of businesses are on their knees following the pandemic, it would have made sense for someone to claim. However, as has been said above, this is a wooden structure, people are cooking with gas, there is a lot of highly flammable alcohol around, and multiple restaurants who all have different approaches to safety.
In the USA where I am from...the insurance companies know about 90% of large fires are arson for profit.......

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Answers to a couple of questions.
1 - LT has it's own fire equipment, but the size of the fire was massive so Sanchez came to assist.
2 - It started around 6am so nobody would have been in the restaurants to use a fire extinguisher. By all accounts it started in the restaurant at the end and then basically just spread from one end to the other, very quickly.
3 - Learning from last time it burnt down, there was a single, large gas tank at the end with the CESTUR office. One video shows that being removed by the back hoe digger. No gas tanks were allowed in individual businesses.

A great shame to see it gone a 2nd time. Maybe in version 3 they will consider building in a sprinkler system?

Do you think they will build a version 3? Surely if they do it will be in concrete

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Do you think they will build a version 3? Surely if they do it will be in concrete
Someone told me those wooden looking structures in Samana Pueblo is concrete underneath. Maybe they do something like that. Or they have completely different plans. Luxury beach front condos lol

Reactions: lacyla123

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
I got sent a video from the painter I use in LT that the Fisherman's Village restaurant row burnt down again. This happened in 2012 and it took 2 years to reconstruct. Bet it was a kitchen fire. Don't they have fire extinguishers in the restaurants?
In Dominican restaurants the extinguishers are usually right next to the activation switch for the Ansul range hood fire suppression system

Reactions: aarhus

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Someone told me those wooden looking structures in Samana Pueblo is concrete underneath. Maybe they do something like that. Or they have completely different plans. Luxury beach front condos

Maybe another all inclusive. That seems to be the only plan this government has.