Pueblo Pescadores burned down again in Las Terrenas

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
On FB everything LT it’s being debated a lot of course some saying the Government will quickly rebuild something similar and other suggestions. One suggestion leave it as a beach which is not such a bad idea in my opinion.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
From today's DR1 News

El Dia reports that many neighbors suspect the fire was intentionally caused. Only a few months the ten-year leases of the businesses would expire. El Dia reports many see the businesses as unfair competition and others want the locations.

THe mayor is quoted as saying that they will not be rebuilt on that site.

Reactions: OldSkool

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
From today's DR1 News

El Dia reports that many neighbors suspect the fire was intentionally caused. Only a few months the ten-year leases of the businesses would expire. El Dia reports many see the businesses as unfair competition and others want the locations.

THe mayor is quoted as saying that they will not be rebuilt on that site.
I have to say I also suspected something like this.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do you think they will build a version 3? Surely if they do it will be in concrete
Blocks and cement next time with metal roofs? Why do you attempt to apply logic to such things?

I guess it depends upon the new leases and "building codes" , suggestions of arson notwithstanding.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Leave it as beach would be a good idea.

Well it would be, but you're forgetting that people really enjoy the experience of a nice meal beside the beach, and eliminating some lovely places to eat ends up reducing the attractiveness of a location to visitors. And as has been said in any case, the beach is eroding at such a rate in LT, it's not the big draw that it once was.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I guess it's just going to be a beach. Where exactly is that area in case I ever go out that way again? Wife doesn't like it much there, so it is unlikely.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Well it would be, but you're forgetting that people really enjoy the experience of a nice meal beside the beach, and eliminating some lovely places to eat ends up reducing the attractiveness of a location to visitors. And as has been said in any case, the beach is eroding at such a rate in LT, it's not the big draw that it once was.
LT has many restaurants so there will hardly be a shortage. For the expats there food is like an obsession. The French and Italian influence really helps there and recently some new American restaurants and I think one was in the Pueblo de Pescadores.

dalethefarmer

Jan 27, 2014
The land that the Pueblo de Pescadores strip was on is owned by the state and the ministry of tourism built the last structures. It is an iconic part of Las Terrenas and will most likely be rebuilt again, this time the ministry of public works might step in to build the electrical/water/sprinkler infrastructure as to prevent another tragedy. But the alcalde really has no say, unless he gets the backing of the business community and can influence the ministries, it is out of his hands.

The weird part about the strip is that the restaurants weren't owned by the operators, rather rented/leased to them. And some were paying 50k DOP per moth while others paid almost 200k, it is thought that the original lease holders sub-leased the restaurants to third parties and that the authorities didn't get involved because they were getting some kick back.

I was originally looking to move to Las Terrenas when moving to the DR, but after staying a few weeks, I noticed something this fire confirmed, the lack of resources to this very important tourist place is appalling, no adequate fire department, hospital, narrow roads made this beautiful place a bigger risk than reward for me and my family. It is very disappointing that the euro-expatriates who call that place home don't care to improve it outside of their private pearly gates, and it shows.

Source: https://n.com.do/2021/09/12/incendi...es-destapo-grandes-carencias-en-las-terrenas/

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
The land that the Pueblo de Pescadores strip was on is owned by the state and the ministry of tourism built the last structures. It is an iconic part of Las Terrenas and will most likely be rebuilt again, this time the ministry of public works might step in to build the electrical/water/sprinkler infrastructure as to prevent another tragedy. But the alcalde really has no say, unless he gets the backing of the business community and can influence the ministries, it is out of his hands.

The weird part about the strip is that the restaurants weren't owned by the operators, rather rented/leased to them. And some were paying 50k DOP per moth while others paid almost 200k, it is thought that the original lease holders sub-leased the restaurants to third parties and that the authorities didn't get involved because they were getting some kick back.

I was originally looking to move to Las Terrenas when moving to the DR, but after staying a few weeks, I noticed something this fire confirmed, the lack of resources to this very important tourist place is appalling, no adequate fire department, hospital, narrow roads made this beautiful place a bigger risk than reward for me and my family. It is very disappointing that the euro-expatriates who call that place home don't care to improve it outside of their private pearly gates, and it shows.

Source: https://n.com.do/2021/09/12/incendi...es-destapo-grandes-carencias-en-las-terrenas/
Yeah a really good hospital is missing as in most parts of the country. There is only Santo Domingo and Santiago

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I think that if you want to get anything done, or buy anything other than basic stuff, a trip to Santo Domingo or Santiago is usually required.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you accept that 1/2 of the population is in Sto Dom & STI....
It all makes sense

Those of us that choose to live in the hinterlands (campos) accept those trips are necessary for some/many things
Not that tough

Variety is the spice of life

Reactions: aarhus

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
We have a brand new, shiny hospital. Very big. I noticed a lot of interviews with the high and mighty are held outside it recently.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Does anybody have any current knowledge of the rebuild of the Pueblo Pescadores a.k.a. Fisherman Village in Las Terrenas? Is the project in insurance litigation?
Rebuild planning stage?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Whatever they do, it must not be made of wood!

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
The other day walking in Las Terrenas I couldn’t walk on pavement or road to get back from the village to playa popy because of flooding from the rain. So I walked in between those shacks of restaurants next to cemetery and it was really cozy and it gave me the vibe of the original pueblo pescadores which also burnt down. It seems to me they have the replacement already. Then make the old location a wide protected beach.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
The other day walking in Las Terrenas I couldn’t walk on pavement or road to get back from the village to playa popy because of flooding from the rain. So I walked in between those shacks of restaurants next to cemetery and it was really cozy and it gave me the vibe of the original pueblo pescadores which also burnt down. It seems to me they have the replacement already. Then make the old location a wide protected beach.

the location of the Pueblo Pescadores isn't ideal for swimming. The creek/tributary coming through the village empties into the ocean nearby. After a rainstorm, it really contaminates the water with all the debris, junk, feces, and God knows what chemicals were dumped in it upstream.

Reactions: cavok