Puerto Plata Lab Doing Antigen Now, Soon PCR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This is a message Ramona Valdez, administrator of El Neptuno, sent today"

For your information, Puerto Plata Laboratory is also doing the covid antigen, by the nose. They send an analyst to take the sample at home. They charge RD$2,000 for the analysis and RD$600 for transportation.

Yesterday we had the first experience with them and I describe it as efficient. They told me that they will start doing the PCR test starting next week.

We just have to write to them by Whatsapp at 809 586 3030 and ask them to come to take the sample, you have to provide your address and a copy of the passport or cedula. If it is for traveling purposes to the United States so they can write all the information in the document.

The result can be ready the same day. The airlines require the results within 72 hours. They can also send the results through whatsapp, through email or they can be picked up at their extension located in front of the police station here in Sosua.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If this lab will be offering the real RT-PCR test needed by Canadians then expect the time for the results to be made available to increase substantially. I'm all for having another testing option, just have to wait and see what is actually offered and how the process will work in what time frame.

Canadians may still be able to transit to Canada through the US but will still require the PCR test to board their connection to Canada even though the antigen test is all that is needed to fly the first leg to the US.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Since they are giving the antigen already and said will start offering the PCR test next, week, I think we can assume they meant PCR test, and of course it will take longer. That was Ramona understanding when the said both tests are acceptable going into the United States

When they said same day results they were talking about the antegen test

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If this lab will be offering the real RT-PCR test needed by Canadians then expect the time for the results to be made available to increase substantially. I'm all for having another testing option, just have to wait and see what is actually offered and how the process will work in what time frame.

Canadians may still be able to transit to Canada through the US but will still require the PCR test to board their connection to Canada even though the antigen test is all that is needed to fly the first leg to the US.
With the very difficult logistics situation of Canadian airlines not flying to the DR, the number of RT-PCR tests needed by said travelers who still insist on a way to get to the DR (or who were already here) should be reduced dramatically through April 30, and probably longer. Don't you think?

If they fly into the US on the way to Canada they will only need an antigen test (but I would guess an RT-PCR test is still needed for a flight from the US into Canada)?

Perhaps they will just stay home as their supreme leader desires and the testing problem goes away for at least a few months.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Certainly is a bit of a mess..........
Like something out of Monty Python Bill. Hollywood writers high on drugs couldn’t dream this stuff up.

I was under the impression the Air Canada takeover of Air Transat was a done deal. Is that true or is government approval still needed? I’ll miss them if they go. I’ve had many great trips to Britain, Europe, and the Caribbean on them over the years.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Like something out of Monty Python Bill. Hollywood writers high on drugs couldn’t dream this stuff up.

I was under the impression the Air Canada takeover of Air Transat was a done deal. Is that true or is government approval still needed? I’ll miss them if they go. I’ve had many great trips to Britain, Europe, and the Caribbean on them over the years.
Before COVID the deal between the two was $720 million On yr later it’s $190 million over million a day was lost..

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The Chinese have a new covid-19 test, no joke, it's an anal swab, they say it's more accurate. In the news as of late. Hope it catches on here : D

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You guys are drifting off again. Read the title.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
46183273-7E17-4BB5-A9D4-186B96A834B1.jpeg

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
You guys are drifting off again. Read the title.
JD. Sewage treatment plant analytical sampling is one of the tracking methods used to determine the presence and spread of Covid in communities in Canada and the US. It can be detected in fecal material. There is a small degree of validity to their posts even if they are tongue in cheek.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
2000 pesos for an antigen test at Bournigal in Puerto Plata. Very profesional. Results in five hours.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
JD. Sewage treatment plant analytical sampling is one of the tracking methods used to determine the presence and spread of Covid in communities in Canada and the US. It can be detected in fecal material. There is a small degree of validity to their posts even if they are tongue in cheek.
I don't disagree big guy. But it has nothing to do with Puerto Plata.
If we're going to say it's all related then heck, all of the threads are related.
Too many folks go wandering all over the place and that's what we try to control.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Is there any news if Puerto Plata Labs in Sosua is now doing a proper PCR test needed by travelers to Canada? When I asked about a PCR test there awhile ago the clerk was very confused over what constituted an RT-PCR test or a LAMP-PCR test. This does not appear to be an isolated situation. There are a bunch of clinics and labs that say they offer a PCR test but the reality is that these tests being offered really are not the DNA tests that some travelers need to get. Even if you find the correct test the time receive the results varies widely from day to day week to week.

Status
Not open for further replies.