Puerto Plata - Weather Report

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Well this is my first weather report! Silly me, I volunteered to help so will do my best.

Today - hot and sunny, not looking like it will rain tonight. Some breeze right now which helps cool things off just a bit......

The sun will set tonight and I'm pretty sure it will come up tomorrow!

Tomorrow - not sure yet, I'll let you know what I see when I open my eyes!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Wednesday September 15

Good morning anyone who is likely to read this!

Thanks Chris for the welcome, don't worry I'm not the "fretting" type......

I was right, the sun did rise.

Overnight we had some rain but not enough to make a difference, saturate the ground or turn streets into rivers! WE do need more rain here at the moment but we don't want it all at once.

At the moment it is sunny but the clouds look like they are rolling in from the east. There isn't much of a breeze and there is that feeling of the calm before the storm.

I'll post my update later in the day. Make it a good day wherever you are.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Tropical Storm / Hurricane

Good morning, it's time to get ready for the bad weather.

We still aren't sure if we will take a direct hit, but we are sure to get lots of wind and rain!

Currently it is overcast, some rain overnight continuing this morning as I came into work. The clouds are blowing by very quickly but it isn't too windy here on the ground in Puerto Plata yet but I expect it by later this afternoon. The waves along the Malecon are getting big! In fact it's beginning to look like a washing machine out there....

More later, start getting ready for the storm.....

T

TiberiusMineola

Congratulations!!

A most useful service. Keep at it; you'll be a "pro" in 2 -3 weeks.
Food for thought: I think it would be useful to all of us who live in the area if you'd put the date & time of your report in the actual heading each day. It makes your reports much easier to follow. Again, keep up the valuable work. We appreciate it. :nervous:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
TiberiusMineola said:
A most useful service. Keep at it; you'll be a "pro" in 2 -3 weeks.
Food for thought: I think it would be useful to all of us who live in the area if you'd put the date & time of your report in the actual heading each day. It makes your reports much easier to follow. Again, keep up the valuable work. We appreciate it. :nervous:

A most useful suggestion for Planner! :classic: Thanks for the input and the encouragement....

Planner, you should be seeing the real "fun and games" start around 8pm this evening, when the wind and rains will pick up. Jeanne should be North of Puerto Plata around 11pm this evening --- given that the present speed and track and strenght continues. Currently it looks as if Jeanne will pass 40 to 50 miles off Puerto Plata, so windstrengths should be in the region of only 30 to 40 miles per hour.... IF the present conditions continue.

Good luck on the North Coast! We will keep you informed as much as is possible.

Chris - reporting from a small weather station in the North West.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thursday Sept 16th 10:25 am

Great idea, thanks for the feedback!!!!

We've had one major downpour this morning and I expect things to deteriorate all day. It is not overly windy yet and currently it is not raining. The clouds continue to scoot across the sky.

I will post weather updates later today if I can! As long as we have electricity and I can get into the office.....

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thursday Sept 16 4:15 pm

We've had rain on and off all afternoon with some wind gusts. The oceanfront looks like a washing machine on the heavy duty cycle! We have lots of large waves off the Malecon.

I am told this will get worse all evening and tomorrow we will have the back end of this storm bringing a lot of rainfall as well.

I am going home now and will be back in the morning with a report.

Stay well.....

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Friday morning 8 AM Cofresi just west of Puerto Plata, the full force of the storm is here with gusts up to 80 mph - probably about 65 mph sustained. Its been blowing pretty hard since about 5 AM. Several trees down in the yard, and something hit the roof earlier, maybe a loose shingle or a coconut.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Jeanne has followed a track crossing the DR similar only to that of Eloisa in 1975 that had winds of 90 kms/h.

markpenn

Sep 18, 2004
Help.... Desperate news on the weather

Hi.

Me and my partner Kate are due to land in The Dominican on the 21st of September for two weeks, we have saved hard for this holiday... any ideas if the weather will be okay at some point?

Thanks..
Should i cancell and stay in Scotland?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Saturday Sept 18, 9:30 am

Good morning everyone, the sun came up this morning and we are very grateful!

YEsterday was not pleasant to say the least. However it was an experience! Thanks Conchman for adding your comments yesterday, here we had no electricity.

Today we have broken clouds with some sunshine! Woo hooo. I don't think it will last though, big black clouds are headed this way. There is a light breeze. I have to get a lot better at this before I begin to guess at the wind speeds. It is not HOT at the moment, just comfortably warm.

I will update later today assuming I have electricity.

I'lll put more information on PUerto Plata in the Hurricane Jeanne thread......

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
markpenn said:
Hi.

Me and my partner Kate are due to land in The Dominican on the 21st of September for two weeks, we have saved hard for this holiday... any ideas if the weather will be okay at some point?

Thanks..
Should i cancell and stay in Scotland?

Where will you be staying? Puerto Plata areas are quickly being brought back to normal, if not already, many hotels in Punta Cana area are also back to normal. La Romana hotels may have to close until the bridge accesses are restored so that supplies can be brought in, so I would say you would need to be relocated if you will be staying next week in La Romana. Juan Dolio and Boca Chica hotels are back to normal. Let us know, so we can provide more information.

On the positive side, weather looks good for next week, no new storms lined up. See the weather satellite links. Clear skies ahead. Just what we need to dry up after those intense rains.

lathc

Sep 18, 2004
Is the Marien Coral by Hilton Still Standing!

First I hope that all of your families and friends in and around Puerto Plata have not sustained any property damage...more importantly that no one was hurt. I am scheduled to fly into Puerto Plata for my honeymoon on the September 26, 2004 and wondered whether the Marien Coral by Hilton is still standing or if it has suffered damage and so forth. I have tried calling the Hotel but it appears that the phone lines are still down. I would appreciate any information!!!!!!! Thank you very much.

Lathc

hilljroberts

Aug 9, 2004
How about Breezes POP? Anybody know?

My wife and I are coming down on the 20th, and staying at Breezes POP. Do things look like they are returning to normal? (As normal as normal can be after a hurricane of course.)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
HOneymoon....

Hi there, I am directly across from the Coral Marien hotel, dont' worry things are fine!!! There are trees down and branches everywhere but there is no structural damage!

Relax, you will enjoy your honeymoon.

As for Breezes, while I am about 30 minutes from there, I am told there is no substantial damage there either. If I find out different I will send you a PM....

chica

Feb 9, 2004
riu hotels

Does someone knows if the riu hotels in Maimon have some damage?

Thanks

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Sun Village and Ocean World Park, which are near the Maimon area, reported only minor damages, so would think that the Riu properties fared the same. Jeanne entered Puerto Plata as a tropical storm, not as a hurricane. Mainly a matter of cleanup of branches, which should have been a matter of two days.

Angela Bella

Sep 14, 2004
Coral Marien

lathc said:
First I hope that all of your families and friends in and around Puerto Plata have not sustained any property damage...more importantly that no one was hurt. I am scheduled to fly into Puerto Plata for my honeymoon on the September 26, 2004 and wondered whether the Marien Coral by Hilton is still standing or if it has suffered damage and so forth. I have tried calling the Hotel but it appears that the phone lines are still down. I would appreciate any information!!!!!!! Thank you very much.

Lathc

FYI, I called my sister at the Coral Marien last night, phone lines were working. 809 320-1515.. Shouldn't be a problem to get through now.

cdw0271

Sep 19, 2004
I'm glad to see that the Puerto Plata area was not damaged badly. A group of my friends and I are arriving next saturday, September 25th. We are staying at the Crown Villas within the Hacienda Resorts Complex. Anyone know if there was any damage there??