PUJ freight terminal

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
What a bad idea. I want to see the traffic study. I am sure they hope hundreds of loaded freight trucks will arrive every day at PUJ. Mixing tourist traffic (cars, taxis, gua guas) and trucks on those roads will only create more chaos.

Now I see why Grupo Abrisa wants to build the new airport near Macao. They are far more visionary Grupo Punta Cana.

Busiest port, airport agree to materialize ambitus project

Santo Domingo.- Punta Cana International Airport and DP World Caucedo on Fri. signed an agreement to develop the first regional Logistics Park and Free Zone of an airport in the region, to establish an aerial platform to redistribute merchandise for re-export

The agreement was signed by Frank Elías Rainieri, general director of Punta Cana International Airport and senior VP of business of the Puntacana Group, and Morten Johansen, CEO of DP World Caucedo.

The agreement sets off the deployment of an intense regional commercial strategy to attract a higher volume of reexport cargo, from and to the main global markets.

The project expects to spur investments and increase the need for labor in logistics, triggering a greater dynamism of the economy in a non-traditional industry and in frank growth in the country.

“This agreement between two of the most important private groups in terms of management and investment in logistics assets in the country, reaffirms the commitment of the private sector to continue creating the conditions for the best geographic use of the Dominican Republic, and for the generation of greater opportunities in one of the transcendental sectors in the global economy such as logistics,” Johansen said.

Rainieri: “Both DP World Caucedo and Punta Cana International Airport are currently regional leaders in the airport, maritime, and logistics sector. This new synergy will allow us to continue growing, and not only maintain leadership, but create new paradigms to make the Dominican Republic the most important logistics point in the continent.”

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/econo...airport-agree-to-materialize-ambitus-project/

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
DR wants to be the regional hub in the Caribbean, and the Chinese might help them further on that quest

Last year, Dominican delegation set a precedent by participating in the second Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation held in Beijing.
"We appreciate the willingness of the Dominicans to actively participate in the construction of the Belt and Road, and are confident that with the efforts the Dominican Republic can become a regional hub that comprises maritime transport, aerial transport, postal services, tourism and export-based processing," Zhang said.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
DR wants to be the regional hub in the Caribbean, and the Chinese might help them further on that quest

Last year, Dominican delegation set a precedent by participating in the second Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation held in Beijing.
"We appreciate the willingness of the Dominicans to actively participate in the construction of the Belt and Road, and are confident that with the efforts the Dominican Republic can become a regional hub that comprises maritime transport, aerial transport, postal services, tourism and export-based processing," Zhang said.

Will they also upgrade the infrastructure?

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The question is where is the best place to put the transfer site. From truck to avion. I doubt Punta Cana is the best geographic location. Where are the products coming from to export? Certainly these professionals have done this kind of analysis.

In any case, if trucks come from the west on the autopista coral, an entrance/exit to the airport just for trucks could be created. Separating tourist and truck uses. But, if trucks come from the north, it is a different story. They would have to travel on the same section of autopista as tourist traffic. If trucks are coming from the west, why would they go all the way to Punta Cana? Santo Domingo is better situated. Or La Romana. More major highways coming into La Romana than PC.

A traffic study would show the plan and impact. I am sure there is one?!

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The question is where is the best place to put the transfer site. From truck to avion. I doubt Punta Cana is the best geographic location. Where are the products coming from to export? Certainly these professionals have done this kind of analysis.

In any case, if trucks come from the west on the autopista coral, an entrance/exit to the airport just for trucks could be created. Separating tourist and truck uses. But, if trucks come from the north, it is a different story. They would have to travel on the same section of autopista as tourist traffic. If trucks are coming from the west, why would they go all the way to Punta Cana? Santo Domingo is better situated. Or La Romana. More major highways coming into La Romana than PC.

A traffic study would show the plan and impact. I am sure there is one?!

What I see is they send to PUJ express cargo to specific points like UK where SDQ do not have direct flights, so those things for next day deliver will be send there specially to Europe, the rest will take place as always with the cargo flights from SDQ.

MAD- 2 Daily flights
FRA- 2 Weekly flights
CDG- 3 Weekly flights
ORY- 2 Weekly Flights
BRU- 2 Weekly flights
MXP-1 Weekly flight
SVO-1 flight every 10 day

Anything that can not take those flights will be send to PUJ. Caucedo is 5 minutes away to SDQ, PUJ is almost 3 hrs.

Santo Domingo handle more thatn 60% of the cargo, they are building a new cargo city that will be finish soon that include refrigeration facilities to keep the cold chain, and 12 positions for trucks to upload or unload cargo. Avianca Cargo started to flight to Punta Canda fridays from Miami, added a 2nd. fligh to Santo Domingo Tuesday but few months ago they moved all 2 flights into SDQ, Tuesday they fly MIA-SDQ-MDE and Friday MIA-SDQ-BOG.

Last edited: