Punta Cana Airport (PUJ) Taxi Rates

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
back to El Cortecito, so back to Punta Cana airport, dealing again with the same shi... with taxi drivers. Finally went home for 23USD instead of the famous 33, and because i was really tired and plenty of luggage, so not much energy to bargain hard.
I keep saying, dont pay those prices, I have never done, so that means that those prices are inflated ...

what;s a 30 bucks from the PC Airport to El Cortecito anyways??
you complaint about such to be expensive??, and with lots of luggage as you mentioned?
wow, looks like you never took a Cabby at home for a 30 minutes ride filling it up with luggage.
if so happy that you saved due hard haggling those few bucks on the ride I hope you had due that enough left to buy some decent food while in Sankie Town/El Cortecito, lol.

have Fun

Mike

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
what;s a 30 bucks from the PC Airport to El Cortecito anyways??
you complaint about such to be expensive??, and with lots of luggage as you mentioned?
wow, looks like you never took a Cabby at home for a 30 minutes ride filling it up with luggage.
if so happy that you saved due hard haggling those few bucks on the ride I hope you had due that enough left to buy some decent food while in Sankie Town/El Cortecito, lol.

have Fun

Mike

Maybe your pockets are filled with bucks, mines are not for sure, so why I have to pay more for something that is cheaper? And it is not only about saving money (that for the ones not wealthy it is always good), it is also about just the fact of paying an overcharged price.

And it is also about ripping off people, even if just "few pesos", I dont mind it is little money as it is the fact. For example I cannot go to the grocery because they will charge me at least 70% more price for the same fruits compared when my gf is the one going there for shopping. That has a name: ripping-off, stealing, etc

No, no, if some (or most) dominicans want to find naive expats to overcharge them absolutely everything, they cannot count on me, start looking for others ... Period

Last edited:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and that's what I meant, as I am a Gringo myself and I do not pay any higher charges on any Product than my Dominican Wife or my Captain etc would get.
it is the Person itself who makes himself/herself a overcharged Gringo.
in generel of course the Prizes for the same stuff are more expensive in a Toruisty Area such as Bavaro than they are in the Capital City or the Campo, here you need to know the spots.
as for Taxis from the PC Airport, they are 1 Association and they have fix Rates, no negociations. where you can save with them is when You pay in Pesos instead of Dollars, they always have a low exchange Rates as a "Local Discount".
with Cabbies off the Resort Area of course you can haggle the Rates everywhere as it is usual in the Country, a rich white Face always get's the more expensive offer, for a Gringo the same than for a Dominican, so here it is the Person itself and his/her attitude to negociate the Prices in the way the Country is used to.
I don't name it ripp off, I name it the usual way to negociate in this Country, every Dominican and long term expat is used to that system. You can not come from a Foreign Country and expect that the Island changes it's traditional Sales/Haggle behavior with a fix Price Quote on every Orange on the Market to suit the acustoms of others, it is the Others who need to change Their Acustoms.
btw, Girlfriends who negociate the Rates for anything alone can be dangerous for the pocket of the BF.
the usual Way is that the GF presents her BF to the Seller as Her BF or Husband, from there on He will get the same Rates as She had at the same Place. the GF's doing the compras alone 'cause "I get the better price Honey" are often the ones who still keep their Share/comission out of the Sales, absolutely typical in the Touristy Area where the BF's and GF's change on biweekly bases, but that's not meant as a punch or sidehint towards you in specific nor your GF as I do not know either of you two, been just meant as a addy to the theme of buying things locally correctly.

have Fun

Mike

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
NOT always a rip off

On Saturday, my scheduled taxi ride, (pre-arranged by a highly recommended SUPPOSED reliable source... long story for another thread), did not show up for my ride from Cortecito to PUJ. After waiting for 25 minutes, our time cushion was quickly evaporating, so I had to resort to plan "B", (or maybe plan "D" for Dominican, LOL). Our condo's Conserje had been nervously waiting with us, obviously worried that our taxi hadn't arrived, so when we decided to move to plan "D"; with a look of relief on his face, he trotted off in the mid day sun (probably out to the taxi stand on the main road), and in 3 minutes was back with a taxi for us.

We had already been quoted by our "reliable source" $40 US for the ride to the airport, and figured this "emergency rescue" mission was gonna' probably cost more than that. Without asking up front, we hop in and off to PUJ we go. OK... So here's the pleasant surprise that confirms that not every Dominican is out to rob you blind at every possible chance.... when I asked him how much, (expecting to hear somewhere between 50 and 60 Dollars)... he said $25 Dollars!!!!! After picking my jaw up off the ground, I gave him $30 and Thanked him very much for his help, and asked for his business card. Needless to say, (after having been gouged on two other taxi rides during the week), Sr. Luis will be getting my future business exclusively.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
NOT always a rip off

On Saturday, my scheduled taxi ride, (pre-arranged by a highly recommended SUPPOSED reliable source... long story for another thread), did not show up for my ride from Cortecito to PUJ. After waiting for 25 minutes, our time cushion was quickly evaporating, so I had to resort to plan "B", (or maybe plan "D" for Dominican, LOL). Our condo's Conserje had been nervously waiting with us, obviously worried that our taxi hadn't arrived, so when we decided to move to plan "D"; with a look of relief on his face, he trotted off in the mid day sun (probably out to the taxi stand on the main road), and in 3 minutes was back with a taxi for us.

We had already been quoted by our "reliable source" $40 US for the ride to the airport, and figured this "emergency rescue" mission was gonna' probably cost more than that. Without asking up front, we hop in and off to PUJ we go. OK... So here's the pleasant surprise that confirms that not every Dominican is out to rob you blind at every possible chance.... when I asked him how much, (expecting to hear somewhere between 50 and 60 Dollars)... he said $25 Dollars!!!!! After picking my jaw up off the ground, I gave him $30 and Thanked him very much for his help, and asked for his business card. Needless to say, (after having been gouged on two other taxi rides during the week), Sr. Luis will be getting my future business exclusively.

that's the way it has to be,
and recommending the ones we used with positive results in the past to promote to future Travel Buddies is exactly what will over the years keep the good and reliable ones in business and send the ripp off guys back out there on their streets to shine some shoes.

Mike

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Paid 50;00 to Boca Chica in Nov of 2011 from PUJ.(it was 11:30 in the evening, so the Hack knew it was go home with what he had or put another 30 bucks or so in his pocket for 5 hours work after gas...I don't know his wife either,...it might have been a great deal for both!! :)..)

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
50 bucks from PC Airport to Boca Chica by Midnight??
who runs such Cabby fare really is in BIIIG Neeed of MOOOney for something.
to run Boca Chica and back (I do that once a Month to get a load of Ballyhoos/the Bait for my fishing Boats), I need those 50 bucks only to fuel my small 2001 4 cylinder Diesel Mitsubishi Truck, not counting the use of the Engine and use of Tires or such stuff, and of course not counting the long hours on that darn Road by midnight to come back home in Punta Cana close to Sunrise.
not worth to be donme for a Cabby Driver, even if he runs on Propane instead of Diesel.

Mike

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Contact information "Por Favor" will be there this Friday!!!

NOT always a rip off

CaptnGlenn

~Can you PM me his contact information, we are going with friends and would like to hire a taxi perhaps for a day of running us around....

Would be greatly appreciated...

JRJRTH

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~Sorry forgot to also ask the currently peso rate for the Guagua's running along the beach from Fruisa down to Plaza San Juan???

~Thanks

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
don't really know the rates for buses... in fact had an interesting "adventure" trying to get a bus from Fruisa back to Cortecito one evening. ended up in a taxi and getting gouged... (before meeting Sr. Luis).

SDQ19

Feb 6, 2012
DSC01764.jpg

Great picture, just what I needed. Would you say these prices are current?

manuelrivas

Jun 6, 2012
beron taxi

no tiene veh?culos en condiciones para dar servicio y las tarifas son mas caras porque las demandas que tienen es poca y se aprovechan cuando hacen un taxi, cada vez que voy a republica dominicana prefiero siutratural mejor servicio y mas comodidad

Analore

Jun 19, 2012
Hi Caribbeandreamto I sent you an email regarding airport transfer from Puj to Paradisus Punta Cana for this sunday june 24, please let me know if you got it.
Thanks
Ana

Maciek Dziewo

Oct 25, 2012
Hi
Can anyone help me, how much could be cost taxi from Aeropuerto PC to hotel Be liVe grand Punt Cana near Laguna bavaro?
[h=1][/h]

GFar

Jan 23, 2007
first of all there is a bus on the south coast, and it is the cheapest way to travel. Second all the comments of the taxis in Barvaro RIP people after people or should I say the "G" word? They all request the american Dollar so I stubarnly give them the fair in pesos!;) I guess there isnt much that can be done because all types of americans and other nationalities visit this area for a sun filled vacation.
As far as traveling the island, there is no easy answer I can only tell you how I did it after many years of building relationships with locals. It took many downfalls but it can be done! Cuidate!