Punta Cana Airport (PUJ) Taxi Rates

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
first of all there is a bus on the south coast, and it is the cheapest way to travel. Second all the comments of the taxis in Barvaro RIP people after people or should I say the "G" word? They all request the american Dollar so I stubarnly give them the fair in pesos!;) I guess there isnt much that can be done because all types of americans and other nationalities visit this area for a sun filled vacation.
As far as traveling the island, there is no easy answer I can only tell you how I did it after many years of building relationships with locals. It took many downfalls but it can be done! Cuidate!

sounds like all your "years long" relationships with "Locals" did not result in anything named progress???
while for foreigners the cabby rates in PC are usually priced in US$, as most of them as fact do not arrive with any Pesos in the pocket, you can of course pay in DR Pesos and as fact you get the better Rate on doing so, as we "Locals" always pay in pesos and there very very favourable exchange rate from the $ to the Peso brings a 20% discount for a Local on the Cabby fare.
of course there is a Bus on the South Coast, there are many,
and Hey, we have a Bus or two on the Eastshores as well.

reconsider your til now Local Relationships and look for the real locals, they will explain you how it works and what the stuff costs for you as a real local to come around, lol.

some need really YEARS to still be on the Beginning

Mike

DAvalon

Feb 28, 2013
NOT always a rip off

On Saturday, my scheduled taxi ride, (pre-arranged by a highly recommended SUPPOSED reliable source... long story for another thread), did not show up for my ride from Cortecito to PUJ. After waiting for 25 minutes, our time cushion was quickly evaporating, so I had to resort to plan "B", (or maybe plan "D" for Dominican, LOL). Our condo's Conserje had been nervously waiting with us, obviously worried that our taxi hadn't arrived, so when we decided to move to plan "D"; with a look of relief on his face, he trotted off in the mid day sun (probably out to the taxi stand on the main road), and in 3 minutes was back with a taxi for us.

We had already been quoted by our "reliable source" $40 US for the ride to the airport, and figured this "emergency rescue" mission was gonna' probably cost more than that. Without asking up front, we hop in and off to PUJ we go. OK... So here's the pleasant surprise that confirms that not every Dominican is out to rob you blind at every possible chance.... when I asked him how much, (expecting to hear somewhere between 50 and 60 Dollars)... he said $25 Dollars!!!!! After picking my jaw up off the ground, I gave him $30 and Thanked him very much for his help, and asked for his business card. Needless to say, (after having been gouged on two other taxi rides during the week), Sr. Luis will be getting my future business exclusively.

I sure could use his number if you have it. I need a ride from the Ejecutivo in Bavaro at 12pm on Saturday to the Airport. As it stands right now I have no idea how I am going to get there. I speak very little Spanish. Could you post his number or send it to me in a private message? It would be greatly appreciated.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
this saturday???
hey buddy, the island is in Semana Santa,
make your deal with any local cabby NOW or plan on the time you need to walk the lil piece to the airport on Sat, specially when you do not speak any spanish.

Mike

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I sure could use his number if you have it. I need a ride from the Ejecutivo in Bavaro at 12pm on Saturday to the Airport. As it stands right now I have no idea how I am going to get there. I speak very little Spanish. Could you post his number or send it to me in a private message? It would be greatly appreciated.

sorry I didn't see this until right now. I was out of town for the holiday, and haven't logged into dr1 since last week. I hope it worked out for you.

palmiche53

Dec 17, 2012
- Those taxi drivers have families to support and a very few own their cabs. When you go to Paris, madrid, new York you have to pay hefty cab fares anyway. I do not see why complaining about a few dollars when tourists are coming to the DR and are not charged for the pure air, beautiful beaches and pay less for better meals and sometimes find a nice hooker for a better price. You guys want to pay the 3rd world rates but get the 1st world services...
- There is not a monopoly because you can spend few bucks as I do and rent a car at the airport and you'll then not need the taxi. Get a life!!!

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
I see the taxi rates haven't been updated on here since 2011... are they still the same... have they not gone up or down since?

Thanks in advance.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Debbie, you use them more often than i would, do the update on your next arrival in a few weeks.
but since 2011 there been no real changes, even that the rides to Uvero Alto should be waaaay cheaper with the new open highway.

Mike

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
Debbie, you use them more often than i would, do the update on your next arrival in a few weeks.
but since 2011 there been no real changes, even that the rides to Uvero Alto should be waaaay cheaper with the new open highway.

Mike

I know LOL... haven't seen the taxi prices at the airport my last 6 visits.... was also wondering why the prices haven't gone down since the decrease in gas prices. I'll look again in a few weeks.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
to run a taxi company the unstable fuel prices are not the only costs you have, by faaar not.
and the prices for fuels anyways did not stay on their nice comfy low for long, they already went up several times inappropriately to the crude's market movements and did not fall down to where they should have been on the crude's low points in the first place.
since we have the new road/highway finished the transfers to Uvero Alto should be waaaay down, some companies adjusted according to that, myself i did change the transfer company used for the transfers of my customers twice during that time, til i found the actual one which asks for reasonable prices, as Uvero Alto is now less than 15minutes away from the hotels in northern bavaro like Majestic or bahia principe or Riu and Iberostar, so there is no reason to ask for almost double of a transfer fee.

Mike

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
The taxis actually give friends a hard time when they pick us up. They have to actually say they aren't charging us. Uber may have an up hill battle to get established.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
to compete on the Punta Cana Transfer market
Uber would need a license that allows "their" drivers to be present at the airport,
and they would need the permit of each single Resort to allow their drivers on all those private properties.
to date even some already established companies are not allowed to most of those spots to pick up Taxi Guests.
Uber?
who's that?? they would ask.
they will not allow every private driver on their premises, just because he say's "I am Uber".
and the Taxi Unions would not let 'em off the property afterwards.
maybe such could work in the cities,
but in a area where you need a Cabby just to reach the Mainroad from the lobby, to then meet your Uber driver there?
Nope.

Mike

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Uber will have an uphill battle in this area, especially because the hotels have such long distances between their entrance gates and the rooms, unless they can somehow manage to get agreements with the hotels, which the unions will fight to the death.

mcfcfan

Aug 29, 2008
UBER working very well in Santo Domingo.
Local buses in Punta cana very good, very frequent and only 30 pesos along the coast.
I hate this syndicated taxi regime here in PC.
UBER due soon in PC...we look forward

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
UBER working very well in Santo Domingo.
Local buses in Punta cana very good, very frequent and only 30 pesos along the coast.
I hate this syndicated taxi regime here in PC.
UBER due soon in PC...we look forward

the punta cana airport and all resorts are private properties,
they allow to service on their properties whom they want to have their.
i can not imagine Uber on the list of any Resort, because til now for all transfer services it is required to be registered with each single resort, so their drivers are allowed to enter the premises. such registration includes to provide company registration, up to date permit from the Tourism ministry for the vehicles and proof of the extended car and passengers insurances required in Tourism Transfers.
Uber Drivers are private persons and have none of those documentations.
try, for example, to enter the Barcelo Beach Resort to pick up a Fren at the lobby, with your private vehicle(which a Uber Driver would be). such will not happen any time soon, nope.

Mike

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
At the Hard Rock any Taxi can drop off, but only the ones registered here can pick up anyone. And it is enforced.