Punta Cana flight to Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
It is totally inaccurate and inappropriate, not that I am offended.

Wrong! Comparing the Covid hotels to concentration or internment camps is partially accurate and very appropriate for the political times we live in during the pandemic. The Canadian government has been hacking away at our rights and freedoms under the guise of pandemic health restrictions.

Referring to the Covid concentration camps aa a hotel is akin to putting lipstick on a pig. It’s a political attempt to make the restriction more palatable, it’s not working, and it’s still a pig. They are detention centres, pure and simple, where negatively tested people are unnecessarily concentrated for further testing. A scare tactic. Canadians have been circumventing the requirement since its implementation. Good on them I say.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The name of this thread is Punta Cana flights to Toronto. If you do not care about Canadian issues and how it's government treats citizens like criminals with Nazi style concentration camps, why are you reading this thread.

Thank you for reading all 2600 of my posts and thinking they are mostly crap. It is a very gifted and unique style to piss someone off 2600 times and yet they still keep reading. Unless of course they haven't read them and are just using petty judgements, childish name calling etc, etc.

A hotel stay is a Nazi style concentration camp ?

You have no shame.

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
Wrong! Comparing the Covid hotels to concentration or internment camps is partially accurate and very appropriate for the political times we live in during the pandemic. The Canadian government has been hacking away at our rights and freedoms under the guise of pandemic health restrictions.

Referring to the Covid concentration camps aa a hotel is akin to putting lipstick on a pig. It’s a political attempt to make the restriction more palatable, it’s not working, and it’s still a pig. They are detention centres, pure and simple, where negatively tested people are unnecessarily concentrated for further testing. A scare tactic. Canadians have been circumventing the requirement since its implementation. Good on them I say.
It is an absurd comparison.
I can see why some would find it belittling and offensive.

I would think there is no intent to offend so I just see it as ignorance.

Reactions: kmfjd and Africaida

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
A hotel stay is a Nazi style concentration camp ?

You have no shame.
You are arrested for breaking no laws. You are driven to the "hotel" in a crammed bus against your will (can't take a taxi). You are subject to sexual assault, robbery and a host of othe indignities. You have pretty much zero selection of food which most people wouldn't feed thier dog. In most "hotels" you are allowed 1 hour per day to walk around the parking lot. You are fined a ridiculous amount if you don't cooperate and all this is at your expense.

And again you have broken no laws. Travel outside Canada and returning is not illegal or criminal yet all your rights and freedoms have been revoked. Before this nonsense only 1 half of 1% of international travellers coming into Canada tested positive.

We know what most Canadians that have been or might be subject to this call it. What do you call it?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You are arrested for breaking no laws. You are driven to the "hotel" in a crammed bus against your will (can't take a taxi). You are subject to sexual assault, robbery and a host of othe indignities. You have pretty much zero selection of food which most people wouldn't feed thier dog. In most "hotels" you are allowed 1 hour per day to walk around the parking lot. You are fined a ridiculous amount if you don't cooperate and all this is at your expense.

And again you have broken no laws. Travel outside Canada and returning is not illegal or criminal yet all your rights and freedoms have been revoked. Before this nonsense only 1 half of 1% of international travellers coming into Canada tested positive.

We know what most Canadians that have been or might be subject to this call it. What do you call it?

A 2 weeks mandatory stay in a hotel is NOT a Nazi concentration camp snowflake :rolleyes:, have some respect.

Reactions: Auryn

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
A 2 weeks mandatory stay in a hotel is NOT a Nazi concentration camp snowflake :rolleyes:, have some respect.
Maybe not to you sweet heart but when my rights and freedoms are revoked and trampled on it reminds me of the Nazis.
Call it whatever you want but if you read any history at all, the Nazis started out slow as well.

Taking ones rights and freedoms away while living within the law should never be tolerated.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The travel gods are still smiling on returning Canadian DR tourists, expats, and snowbirds. Ontario pleaded with the Feds to impose Covid concentration camp requirements on the Canada-US land crossings in Ontario in a ministerial meeting yesterday. It fell on deaf ears. The Feds have done their homework on the land borders and it’s not logistically possible because of the large geographical area and the lack of hotels.

A lot of people in Ontario want Premier Ford to resign. He is trying to divert attention away from his political ineptitude and lay the blame on the Feds. That’s the main reason he wants more restrictions placed on the land border crossings. It isn’t working and the land border crossings will remain Covid concentration camp free.

As long as returning Canadians arrive at the land crossings with Canadian approved negative Covid tests, they are free to go. And rightfully so.

More people with negative tests are arriving at Canadian airports and refusing to stay in the concentration camps. They pay the fine and head home to isolate. Some are simply walking away and not paying the fine. Airport police are refusing to arrest them. Sometimes a little revolution is a good thing.

Although I abhor gun violence, I wonder if the Canadian government might have been a bit more reticent to implement the concentration camps if Canadian citizens were armed like US citizens? There is no question, in my mind, that the Second Amendment tempers the US governments approach to limiting individual rights and freedoms guaranteed by the US Constitution. Not such a bad thing in today’s political world.

To my Canadian friends returning from the DR, enjoy your land border back door escape and savour your freedoms.

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
Just talking to travel rep
To go to dr from Canada
Air transat booking in November
Sunwing and westjet booking in oct

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Ain’t gonna happen!
Although Trudeau doesn't really care much for Ford, he does care about public opinion, especially when he's thinking about an election. If you read the comments, general opinion is to close the perceived loophole.

At issue is that travelers from India are using the route, not the snowbirds.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Although Trudeau doesn't really care much for Ford, he does care about public opinion, especially when he's thinking about an election. If you read the comments, general opinion is to close the perceived loophole.

At issue is that travelers from India are using the route, not the snowbirds.
Are there really that many travelers from India to Canada?

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
"Canadian Health Minister Patty Hajdu said that while Indian citizens accounted for 20% of all international arrivals, they represented over 50% of the positive tests conducted by Canadian airport officials."

Reactions: NanSanPedro

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Although the number is high they have to fly through other countries to get to Canada. Some of these countries may impose bans as well on flights from India and Pakistan.

Hopefully the US will ban them as well and the problem of that variant can be headed off. Unfortunately it's to easy and simple for politicians to do.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
"Canadian Health Minister Patty Hajdu said that while Indian citizens accounted for 20% of all international arrivals, they represented over 50% of the positive tests conducted by Canadian airport officials."

So if they are serious about slowing or stopping the virus there is a very easy solution. Use the quick antigen test and if it's a positive result from an international traveller, put them back on the return flight. No lawyers no exceptions.

Also check the authenticity of the negative result that got them on the plane. If it's fake, nail them to the wall. It's time to hold individuals responsible and quit painting everyone with the same brush. The Canadian government has said that over 98% of returning travellers comply with the law.

So the big question is why are they punishing law abiding citizens. Time for the Canadian government to put the big boy panties on and hold the idiots that cheat accountable and leave the rest of us alone.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
So if they are serious about slowing or stopping the virus there is a very easy solution. Use the quick antigen test and if it's a positive result from an international traveller, put them back on the return flight. No lawyers no exceptions.

Also check the authenticity of the negative result that got them on the plane. If it's fake, nail them to the wall. It's time to hold individuals responsible and quit painting everyone with the same brush. The Canadian government has said that over 98% of returning travellers comply with the law.

So the big question is why are they punishing law abiding citizens. Time for the Canadian government to put the big boy panties on and hold the idiots that cheat accountable and leave the rest of us alone.

Rarely do governments do the hard thing. Let’s see how the new DR administration does with its corruption cleanup initiative. They make take down some minions but I highly doubt the big boys will spend time behind bars. Checks and balances are in place to prevent the prosecution of Medina. I’m hoping the new administration can legally get around them and snare a kingpin.

The Canadian government finds it much easier to harass a Canadian taxpayer for a $1000 debt than pursue charges against a Canadian billionaire hiding his money in a tax haven.

They restricted Canadian travel between the Caribbean and Mexico because it was easy. The hard thing would have been blocking flights to Florida and Arizona, as well. The political influence and wealth of Canadian snowbirds with property in these states made the government take the easy road. They contribute to the Liberals and the Liberals aren’t going to bite the hand that feeds them. Similar to what happens in the US with the GOP and the NRA.

It was easier to coerce the Canadian airlines into voluntary compliance instead of issuing a government ban. The knew the airlines were hurting financially and a financial carrot backed with taxpayers money was too hard for the airlines to resist.

That’s why they will never close the land borders or add a Covid concentration camp stay for land border crossers. It’s
a hard thing to do politically. It’s easier to turn a blind eye to it and hope the problem resolves itself in time.

They have a month’s breathing room to work out how to deal with travellers from India, Pakistan, and other highly infected countries. They will waste it fighting other fires currently raging in Canada.

Restricting our travel freedoms is tip of the government driven, “grand reset”, iceberg. I don’t believe in conspiracies but the Canadian government has shown us their hand with international travel restrictions and we are the chips in a dangerous political poker game that could affect our future rights and freedoms.

Reactions: melphis

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Canadians checking out of quarantine hotel.

1619819850739.png

The right thing to do is be a man and just say it was a bad comparison. And, talk about what you perceive to be the real problem - infringment on your rights as a Canadian citizen. You could refer to Canadian Part I of the Constitution Act, 1982. Or not. Pasa un buen dia.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Canadians checking out of quarantine hotel.

View attachment 4423

The right thing to do is be a man and just say it was a bad comparison. And, talk about what you perceive to be the real problem - infringment on your rights as a Canadian citizen. You could refer to Canadian Part I of the Constitution Act, 1982. Or not. Pasa un buen dia.

It's an accurate comparison. If you don't like his choice of words, why don't you man up and just pass on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.