Punta Cana to Santo Domingo: which bus station

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The only thing he may accomplish is missing the last bus is If he hires a private taxi as opposed to just taking one right away at the airport, he has to wait and struggle to find his taxi among tons of people and taxis. Another warning is if you are landing at Terminal A do NOT use any of the booths you pass by. They give you a good price and make 6 stops.

Bite the bullet and go to the guy with the taxi sign. The prices are set.

Reactions: DR fan1990

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I was thinking the same thing. Imagine the lucky lady who gets to go on a date with him when he gets to where he's going!!!

For me at least, it's not so much saving a dollar is not being scammed. When I had to pay 2000 pesos the one time it was to an unlicensed taxista and stupid me forgot to negotiate the price before hand.

Does he need the $ more than me? Most probably. But I still don't like getting ripped off.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
True, but hes going to have to pay it. Unless he gets a ride from a fren
The other option for those of us who are not shy is to find another passenger or two at the airport who is looking to go to the same place.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The other option for those of us who are not shy is to find another passenger or two at the airport who is looking to go to the same place.

Get in a car with a bunch of strangers with your passport and your money and all your valuables with you. Just so that you can save five dollars. Great idea.

Reactions: SKY and JD Jones

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Get in a car with a bunch of strangers with your passport and your money and all your valuables with you. Just so that you can save five dollars. Great idea.
You must get stressed out a lot if you would worry about getting into a taxi with a random airline passenger and a random taxi driver. Tip for the paranoid......photo the driver, the other passenger and the license plate of the cab and WhatsApp it to a friend if you worry that 2 random strangers are out to get you. Also, stay away from guaguas.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
You must get stressed out a lot if you would worry about getting into a taxi with a random airline passenger and a random taxi driver. Tip for the paranoid......photo the driver, the other passenger and the license plate of the cab and WhatsApp it to a friend if you worry that 2 random strangers are out to get you. Also, stay away from guaguas.

Luckily enough I have been successful enough in my career that I don’t have to risk life and limb for the sake of a few dollars. Are you seriously so tight-fisted that to save five or ten dollars you would run around an airport trying to find random people to share a taxi to a bus station which costs maximum RD$ 1000? Then take photos of them and the driver and whatsapp it to a friend? All of which after getting off a flight, and with all your valuables, passport, credit cards, on your person. And you are saying that just because I raise my eyebrows at that behaviour I must be stressed out? Righty-ho.

I have never been in a guagua, personally I don’t think anyone who can afford not to go in one should do. I banned my relatives from getting in one, or on a moto, and pay for their Uber account.

Reactions: JD Jones and SKY

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I know a guy that got into a Publico and ended up on the side of the road somewhere with only the clothes on his back and no shoes................

Reactions: MariaRubia

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Luckily enough I have been successful enough in my career that I don’t have to risk life and limb for the sake of a few dollars. Are you seriously so tight-fisted that to save five or ten dollars you would run around an airport trying to find random people to share a taxi to a bus station which costs maximum RD$ 1000? Then take photos of them and the driver and whatsapp it to a friend? All of which after getting off a flight, and with all your valuables, passport, credit cards, on your person. And you are saying that just because I raise my eyebrows at that behaviour I must be stressed out? Righty-ho.

I have never been in a guagua, personally I don’t think anyone who can afford not to go in one should do. I banned my relatives from getting in one, or on a moto, and pay for their Uber account.
Things I consider relatively safe are a guagua, a taxi and a publico. Things I consider unsafe in the DR are an airport Uber, a moto or driving the vehicle yourself. Doesn't have anything to do with money or how successful you were in your career.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Things I consider relatively safe are a guagua, a taxi and a publico. Things I consider unsafe in the DR are an airport Uber, a moto or driving the vehicle yourself. Doesn't have anything to do with money or how successful you were in your career.

Agree completely about guaguas. I can afford taxis but why waste money on a taxi when you can take a guagua? >90% of the time they're fine. I've probably taken a guagua over 500 times and had only 2 minor incidents.

As far as moto taxis go, I'm probably have taken one < 50 times. Again no issues. I know some are squeamish about them, but I'm fine. It's just personal preferences and risk aversion.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Anyone that comes to the DR for a vacation and has to get into a Publico with 3 or even 4 people in the back and TWO sitting next to the driver should just stay home.........................
That's the type of attitude that makes it unsafe for some gringos to use public transportation. Your shoeless friend probably displayed some combination of arrogance, lack of awareness, a willingness to argue over 50 pesos and just a general unfriendly and superior attitude towards locals.

Reactions: Sailor51

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That's the type of attitude that makes it unsafe for some gringos to use public transportation. Your shoeless friend probably displayed some combination of arrogance, lack of awareness, a willingness to argue over 50 pesos and just a general unfriendly and superior attitude towards locals.
I agree with everything you wrote except for a willingness to argue over 50 pesos. I can find you thousands of locals who will argue incessantly over much less than 50 pesos.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I agree with everything you wrote except for a willingness to argue over 50 pesos. I can find you thousands of locals who will argue incessantly over much less than 50 pesos.
I am sure there are lots of local horror stories resulting from a disagreement over small amounts of money.

My most scary taxi ride over the years was on a 90 minute trip from Montego Bay to Negril. Some idiot in the back seat spent the whole time arguing with the driver over $5. Not only did he lose the argument but he was also risking his safety on the return trip. Arrogant and stupid makes for great comedy in the movies but it doesn't travel well.