Punta Cana to Santo Domingo: which bus station

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
That's the type of attitude that makes it unsafe for some gringos to use public transportation. Your shoeless friend probably displayed some combination of arrogance, lack of awareness, a willingness to argue over 50 pesos and just a general unfriendly and superior attitude towards locals.
He did not argue about anything. He was ROBBED AND ASSAULTED........................And he was not shoeless when he got in they even robbed his shoes...........................

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
He did not argue about anything. He was ROBBED AND ASSAULTED........................And he was not shoeless when he got in they even robbed his shoes...........................
What were the other passengers in the Publico doing while this was happening?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What were the other passengers in the Publico doing while this was happening?
It was the other passengers that robbed him I assume the driver was in on it..This happened between Montellano and Puerto Plata. Maybe it was a bootleg Publico I don't know. Only 3 other passengers.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
It was the other passengers that robbed him I assume the driver was in on it..This happened between Montellano and Puerto Plata. Maybe it was a bootleg Publico I don't know. Only 3 other passengers.
Thanks, that makes more sense.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The only concern I ever had on guaguas was that I would miss something in Spanish for transfer, time, etc. and Parque Enriquillo at night. I’ve traveled on them all over the island and never had any trouble. I didn’t use them for financial reasons, just because I liked the adventure and couldn’t stand driving in cities.

Públicos are a cheap, fast, and easy way to get around. Fun for me is not being crammed into a 1993 Corolla and 5 other people in tropical heat.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Isn’t it nice that we are all showing we have different opinions and experiences without anyone being rude or telling other people to shut up. Well done DR1 community. Things have changed since AlterEgo intervened, and changed for the better.

I’m still way too much of a princess to get in a guagua or on the back of a moto, just saying…

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The only concern I ever had on guaguas was that I would miss something in Spanish for transfer, time, etc. and Parque Enriquillo at night. I’ve traveled on them all over the island and never had any trouble. I didn’t use them for financial reasons, just because I liked the adventure and couldn’t stand driving in cities.

Públicos are a cheap, fast, and easy way to get around. Fun for me is not being crammed into a 1993 Corolla and 5 other people in tropical heat.

Sorry to ask u a basic questions, but is a publico and guagua the same thing?

But I also enjoy the guagua experience for what it is. It's a different culture and I believe I'm richer for experiencing it. I did taptaps in Haiti and rode buses with goats. It helps you appreciate what you've got.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Guguas are the small mini bus type of transport going many different harder to get to routes. A Publico is basically a broken down taxi with a cracked windshield stopping along a certain route for anyone or anybody along the way.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Guguas are the small mini bus type of transport going many different harder to get to routes. A Publico is basically a broken down taxi with a cracked windshield stopping along a certain route for anyone or anybody along the way.
Publicos are also referred to as conchos.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The last one my son took had a hole in the floor and he could see the pavement below, said he felt like Fred Flintstone.
However, we’ve noticed a lot of the worse publicos have gone in Santo Domingo, and many decent looking newer models have taken their place. Unfortunately, same drivers in them, pulling out indiscriminately. It’s a wonder there aren’t crashes every 5 minutes.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The last one my son took had a hole in the floor and he could see the pavement below, said he felt like Fred Flintstone.
However, we’ve noticed a lot of the worse publicos have gone in Santo Domingo, and many decent looking newer models have taken their place. Unfortunately, same drivers in them, pulling out indiscriminately. It’s a wonder there aren’t crashes every 5 minutes.

I've taken those both in Haiti and the DR. I actually find it amusing when I think of what a US car safety inspector would say.

Reactions: aarhus

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Sorry to ask u a basic questions, but is a publico and guagua the same thing?

But I also enjoy the guagua experience for what it is. It's a different culture and I believe I'm richer for experiencing it. I did taptaps in Haiti and rode buses with goats. It helps you appreciate what you've got.
The range for guaguas is quite varied. You have the huge air conditioned buses run by Metro and Caribe that go rapid direct from place to place.
Then you have the opposite extreme and the more common beat up old buses that are meant for about 7 passengers. They often meander along and stop for every person on the side of the road until they have 15 people inside. The ticket guy hangs out the door which does not close or does not exist.
Most of my experience is somewhere in between on the 2-3 to a seat, air conditioned ones with maybe 5-6 rows. They might make one stop but typically go direct to your destination. They will have a crucifix graphic with some sort of reference a Dios. Depending on the driver, they blast music, most often gospel.
The first time I ever rode one was between Samana and Las Galleras complete with an elderly gentleman holding 3 live chickens tied together by the legs. Some of them are definitely not for anyone with an aversion to the local, every day life. Others are no different than buses I’ve taken in the UK.
The next was sitting on the passenger side from Samana to Kite Beach with full view of the coast the entire way. I’ve since driven that highway but there’s something about the guaguas that makes the adventure a little more immersive.
There is guagua etiquette where everyone gives up their seat for the elderly, for women with children, or pregnant women.
More unwritten rules too but perhaps better suited for dedicated thread.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I've taken those both in Haiti and the DR. I actually find it amusing when I think of what a US car safety inspector would say.
Junk yard/ scrap. I’ve been on them in SD where the seat is so worn out you sit on a piece of foam instead of the springs.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Get in a car with a bunch of strangers with your passport and your money and all your valuables with you. Just so that you can save five dollars. Great idea.
I see trust is out the window here. You're saying a fellow passenger with luggage is a potential mugger?

Reactions: slowmo

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Very rare a passenger in a Publico has any luggage....................
He was talking about going from an airport yes? So they maight have some.
Then again ... I may have mised something. But since we're on the subject.
Was thinking of skying in to POP to check out something in Sousa. But I could save $200 US if I go to STI.
Now what does one do in STI at 2 am waiting for a guagua?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
To get to a guagua at STI you would literally have to travel about 3 or more KM to get to the hwy. With your luggage of course. No guaguas come into the airport. Forget this idea.

However you can take a taxi to either Caribe Tour or Metro, both on the same street in Santiago. And from there you can get a comfortable bus to SD.