Punta Cana to Santo Domingo: which bus station

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just noticed you want to get to Sosua. That would even be easier as I suggested.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
When I was working in a hotel in SD, we had an American guest who really wanted the authentic Dominican experience and wanted to get the guagua to Boca Chica from the capital - evening time. And he decided to walk to Parque Enriquillo to get this guagua. Everyone told him this was not a good idea, but he was adamant, he wanted to live like a local. A few hours later he was back, the big gold chain he had been wearing around his neck had been ripped off him, he took a photo of the guys who did it as they fled on a moto, and he said the police had told him they needed him to leave his phone with them as it was evidence. And obviously the police subsequently "lost" the phone.

The truth is that things in DR don't work the same as they do in the US and until you know how they do work, the safe bet is always the best bet.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
When I was working in a hotel in SD, we had an American guest who really wanted the authentic Dominican experience and wanted to get the guagua to Boca Chica from the capital - evening time. And he decided to walk to Parque Enriquillo to get this guagua. Everyone told him this was not a good idea, but he was adamant, he wanted to live like a local. A few hours later he was back, the big gold chain he had been wearing around his neck had been ripped off him, he took a photo of the guys who did it as they fled on a moto, and he said the police had told him they needed him to leave his phone with them as it was evidence. And obviously the police subsequently "lost" the phone.

The truth is that things in DR don't work the same as they do in the US and until you know how they do work, the safe bet is always the best bet.

I take that guagua a lot. Never had a problem. Maybe things were different then. Also, I don't have any gold chains and would never buy one.

Reactions: aarhus

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I take that guagua a lot. Never had a problem. Maybe things were different then. Also, I don't have any gold chains and would never buy one.

That’s exactly my point. We live here, we know how things work, people on the street probably know our faces, and we know where we are going. Speaking Spanish also helps enormously. I’ve never found Dominicans to be aggressive and have always felt safe. But it’s not the same for people who are visiting, don’t speak the language, don’t know where they’re going, don’t know how things work. And I think it’s important that the DR1 community tailors its advice because the advice you give someone who is new, tired, travelling with luggage and doesn’t know his way around is very different to the advice I would give a guy like you who has been here years.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018

Well he did want the experience right?

• Haha
Reactions: MariaRubia

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
The driver might have a problem with back seat muggings as well.
That sounds like any major city anywhere. Taveling by boat you always hit a marina or at the least an anchorage in port. Often customs comes out to investigate, take care of business. Sometimes not and you go ashore. Advice is often given as to what to areas to avoid ... maybe. Reversing the senario is going to be different for me. Starting inland and going to the coast.
Simple rule, don't look like a victim.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I'm confused. I'm landing in PUJ next week then I will need to catch a bus from Punta Cana to the capital.

One Dominican contact I'm talking to is telling me that he can drive me to the closest bus stop from the airport (which is, according to him, the Veron bus station owned by Expreso Bavaro) for 1000 pesos.

But a friend who's been to Punta Cana just told me that I don't need a cab to go to the nearest bus station because there is actually a bus station right near the airport and I can just walk.

So where's the nearest Expreso Bavaro bus station from the Punta Cana airport? Is it the Veron stop (10 min driven for 1000 pesos according to my Dominican contact) or is there really a closer bus stop that I can just walk to?
You will need to travel to the Veron or Friusa bus station by taxi ( approx US$ 30-40 ) to acquire the services of Expresso Bavaro. A middle to late afternoon air arrival may put you at risk of not reaching the bus on time for its last afternoon departure around 4 pm to Santo Domingo. You should have a backup plan to overnight in Punta Cana should you miss the same day bus travel opportunity. Tickets are sold first come first served at station on day of departure. Weekends find the buses full.

Regards,

PJT

Reactions: DR fan1990

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
So I landed in PUJ and took the cab to the Friusa parada as planned. All the taxis drivers I asked told me the ride would cost 30 USD or 1700 pesos. Seems like a universally established price to drive to that bus stop.

Then I took the bus to Santo Domingo, 400 pesos.

Also at PUJ, I was asked for either the QR code or the paper form. I had the QR code filled out already so exiting the airport was quick.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Anyone that comes to the DR for a vacation and has to get into a Publico with 3 or even 4 people in the back and TWO sitting next to the driver should just stay home.........................
What's the difference between a guagua and a publico? Im guessing the guagua is more crowded?

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
What's the difference between a guagua and a publico? Im guessing the guagua is more crowded?
guagua ( est 18 ppl + driver) and publico taxi (6 ppl max + driver)

Attachments

• guagua.jpg
    guagua.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 118
  • publico.jpg
    publico.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 132

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Its not even about the money, I just don't like getting scammed because they think I'm a clueless gringo.
Somewhere along the line you are going to get scammed, hustled or outright robbed, its just a fact. This one is minor trust me.