Purchase of good desktop computer

dr_dreamin

Jan 20, 2010
Hello everyone! I need information and advice please!

I need a new desktop computer, and I want a model that is new and fairly high-spec. This is what I have considered to be my options:
- buy locally (north coast): is there a shop selling good computers?
- buy online: what kind of tax would I be looking at on $1k-$1.5k purchase?
- buy in the capital: if a shop there had what I wanted, would it cost as much for transportation/accommodation as import tax would be?
- if a local shop didn't have what I want, would they consider purchasing on my behalf?

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
3 years ago I bought parts to build it myself, the Mobo, CPU, RAM, drives and Power Supply and then I bought the case locally.

However, this came with several drawbacks, first of all, although I had ordered everything in separate orders and made sure the price was below $200, Amazon decided to bulk it all together, so yes I had to pay the import tax and also the carriers fee. So in total I paid like 35% of the total value of the parts.
Then as I had purchased parts that were below $200 you are somewhat limited to certain parts.
For example if you're going to buy a GPU, unless you buy it used on Ebay (and even then it's tough) it'll be hard to find a recent generation GPU.
The same with the CPU, there are gems for below $200 but it's still not optimal.
For the other parts, if you're not into something extreme they're not going cost near to $200.

Shops selling high end desktops on the north coast? Don't think so, I've not found any, the vast majority of PC shops sells refurbished 5-10 year old Desktops previously used by corporations, like those Dell, HP, Lenovo etc.
So the only shops that I know of would be either in Santiago or best option in Santo Domingo.

There are several stores in Santo Domingo that would be able to help, and yes the price would be almost the same, either a little bit cheaper or a little more expensive than buying online.

Yes, some stores would be able to purchase on your behalf, but you would still have to pay the same import tax as they are also charged for that. So that would basically only be an option if you don't know how to order online.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I know you did not mention this, but if there is anyone that can lug it in you would get exactly what you want. And it is no problem bringing in a loose desktop in luggage here...........

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I bought my laptop at CECOMSA on Betancourt in the capital about 2 years ago. Nothing special and it's ok, but I would not do it again. If/when I need another, I will take Sky's advice and go back to the USA and select exactly what I want.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Honest, this PC will do the work: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-Desktop-i7-8700T-6-Cores/dp/B08WNF8FP6

I have 4 of them, it works great.
Depends on what you consider high spec, which it's not really, it's still a 5-6 year old computer. And because of its small size very limited upgrade options. So I would then rather recommend a laptop than those micro form factor PCs, has none of the benefits of a "real" desktop and also none of the benefits of a laptop.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

I need a new desktop computer, and I want a model that is new and fairly high-spec. This is what I have considered to be my options:
- buy in the capital: if a shop there had what I wanted, would it cost as much for transportation/accommodation as import tax would be?
- if a local shop didn't have what I want, would they consider purchasing on my behalf?
I was in the same situation a few years back. I have worked online for the past 10+ years, and the laptop had brought in from EU had a fried motherboard... I had never ever purchased anything I would depend on income-wise in the DR... I was lost... Traveling abroad was not an option back then, nor was ordering online as I simply did not trust that things would go well... So I tried to due my due diligence properly and ended up checking two stores in Santiago: Cecomsa and Prodacom. North Coast would have only had Ceducompp and other smaller businesses, I did not even consider those... Ceducommp in POP USED to sell a decent amount IT stuff as well, at that time I went there and was only able to see sofas, dining tables and flowers with vases there... And no customers... I spent less than 30 seconds there...

I did found a decent office laptop from Cecomsa, but as I expected, it was outdated and overpriced. I did not have a choice at that point in time and was facing potentially losing income, so it was the better of the two bad options... It was a 14 inch sturdy Dell, I still have it, because it's good and reliable, even though horribly outdated...

So if I were you, I would only consider checking this carefully and buying locally in Santiago or Santo Domingo... And it would have to be something I could walk out with immediately after purchase in cash... No deliveries, no ordering, nothing of the sort... Prepare it to be overpriced...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I bought my laptop at CECOMSA on Betancourt in the capital about 2 years ago. Nothing special and it's ok, but I would not do it again. If/when I need another, I will take Sky's advice and go back to the USA and select exactly what I want.
As said, I also bought a laptop in Cecomsa only to secure income, but if getting one personally from abroad, I would not consider other options... I would have not purchased locally if I had had other options... Cecomsa is one of the best, I can definitely recommend them...

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I got one of these on Amazon. Less than 200 bucks and attached to the back of my monitor. No complaints yet.

71YKYvNp3ML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Great little computer. I got one just to try it. I've been using it ever since.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

- if a local shop didn't have what I want, would they consider purchasing on my behalf

Were you able to find a computer?