Putting Covid-19 in perspective

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Playa-Listin-Diario-e1585064574623.jpeg

Editor’s thoughts…

Here’s to putting Covid-19 in perspective. Statistically-speaking, you are more likely to be infected with Covid-19 vacationing or living in Miami than during a visit to Punta Cana, Puerto Plata or Samaná beach destinations in the Dominican Republic. La Altagracia province (where Punta Cana beach strip is located) has reported 566 cases as of 14 June and 2 deaths. This compares to 21,917 confirmed cases and 866 deaths in Miami-Dade alone. Miches, the new northern Punta Cana destination, is in El Seibo, where they have only been 35 confirmed cases, no deaths.

Puerto Plata, a large urban area, reports 407 cases, and 32 deaths.

Samaná has also done relatively well, with only 57 confirmed cases and 1 death.

So, don’t count out coming for a break at a Dominican beach this year. Gradually, several hotels and resorts opening and rentals are available...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NanSanPedro

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
In my opinion, the low density of most resorts makes it possible for the country to have its cake and eat it too.

The prescription is: Keep your distance, use a facial mask when with others, wash hands frequently. Myself and my friends have our stock of ivermectin for human use. If we get any symptoms, we will call our MD and get clearance to start a first and second dose. Optimistic this will nix the virus early on, as has happened and local MDs are aware of this after Dr. Jose Natalio Redondo of the Centro Medico Bournigal in Puerto Plata had the first good results in April 2020. I am taking precautions to try and not catch the bug. I live in Santo Domingo, where 53% of the virus is happening.

Taking it serious... But am looking forward to beach going in July.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
And yet the plan is to bring those visitors from Miami and other US destinations into the DR to stimulate business?
International travel is how CV19 spread throughout the world.
Yes, it seems to me that it would make sense to restrict travel from the countries with the highest numbers of cases per million population, with the USA among them on 6,600 per million. Certainly don't let in the hoards of tourists from Qatar, where the number is 29,000+. The DR is currently on 2,146 according to Worldometer. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries