Putting up Cameras in Cabarete

hombre987

Nov 17, 2013
Cameras caught the killer of the lady who got murdered by the Texaco! Of course this is a GREAT idea! Wtf are you hiding that you care so much about cams in the area?! Gonna say you are shadier than shade!

Haters gonna hate but many of you have no idea what is going on in the background with NCCS! You should be thanking these people instead of complaining like you all do non stop offering no solutions!

Asking what people think doesn't mean I am hiding anything, which I'm not. I am far from shady, in fact, if you knew me, which you don't, you would get that very quickly. Think before you accuse people you don't know. My purpose was to create a dialogue about a potentially significant societal shift here. If the quality of this group is to accuse people you know nothing about because they ask a question, well then, perhaps I'm on the wrong group. If you have good reasons why you believe the cameras are a good idea, then post them. That's all I asked for. I'll take the high road and not attack you. Qu? pase buen d?a.

hombre987

Nov 17, 2013
I think the cameras are a good idea, and here's why:

1. They show robbery attempts, stabbings, shooting, fights, etc.

2. In 2008, myself and 4 other people spent 3 days in jail because a hotel manager was killed in a hotel. the hotel now has security cameras both inside and outside of the hotel. It's here in Cabarete. If they had the cameras installed when she was killed, the killer "might" have been identified and at least 4 other people--myself included--would not have had to spend 3 days in jail wehere anything could have happened to us. I hadn't even been to the hotel for 4 days before she was killed, so i would have been ruled out immediately....and so would others including her ex-boyfriend who hadn't seen her in over a year.

3. Attempted robberies can be caught on camera.

4. Car wrecks are caught on camera. there is a good one that happened only 4 or 5 months ago in front of Kaobo hotel that was caught on camera and is somewhere still here on DR1. you can see it for yourself.

5. Street crime went down significantly in London after they installed all of the their cameras.

Frank

Thanks for your thoughtful response frank12.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It doesn't matter what we think. No one asked us and if we wanted to be surveilled and they won't ask in the future. We are caught on someone's camera everyday, everywhere. From the guy pointing a webcam out his living room window to the atm camera pointing towards the street.

At this point a few more cameras in high traffic areas that might catch a crime happen, it's not worth getting upset about. 1984 has come and gone and we are stuck with the ramifications forever.

I would prefer to live on a different planet that is not as intrusive as this one, but my choices are limited. I object to a video of me staggering down the street in my own stupor induced world appearing on youtube under the title, of "another stupid gringo ..." but what can you do?

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
All hotels are required now to have cameras. Many businesses do now. No one is sitting there watching people walk down the street. The cameras are just recording on a hard disk to be viewed after a crime is committed. Then the criminals have a chance to be identified, caught and punished. I think its a very good thing to do.

Asking what people think doesn't mean I am hiding anything, which I'm not. I am far from shady, in fact, if you knew me, which you don't, you would get that very quickly. Think before you accuse people you don't know. My purpose was to create a dialogue about a potentially significant societal shift here. If the quality of this group is to accuse people you know nothing about because they ask a question, well then, perhaps I'm on the wrong group. If you have good reasons why you believe the cameras are a good idea, then post them. That's all I asked for. I'll take the high road and not attack you. Qu? pase buen d?a.

Sorry for my harsh response, partied too much last night!

I get defensive of NCCS bc I know how much hard work is going into trying to making the NC a safer area for tourists, expats and locals. This is something we REALLY NEED and degenerates have before tried to destroy the group!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I would be in favor of a camera at O'Shays so I could watch Frank watching the Topless beach going Ladies. Or vice versa. That's entertainment.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
it's nice to know that you like to OBEY. if this is not true - do something about it.

as for net - encryption does the trick.....and few other tools complicate life of big brothers ;-)

It doesn't matter what we think. No one asked us and if we wanted to be surveilled and they won't ask in the future. We are caught on someone's camera everyday, everywhere. From the guy pointing a webcam out his living room window to the atm camera pointing towards the street.

At this point a few more cameras in high traffic areas that might catch a crime happen, it's not worth getting upset about. 1984 has come and gone and we are stuck with the ramifications forever.

I would prefer to live on a different planet that is not as intrusive as this one, but my choices are limited. I object to a video of me staggering down the street in my own stupor induced world appearing on youtube under the title, of "another stupid gringo ..." but what can you do?

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
oh, and btw. - there is difference between mass surveillance on populations - WHICH IS WRONG & ILLEGAL , and putting cameras by business owners in Cabarete...i would say that they have a right to do it and GOOD REASONS to do it.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Do you really think that long? We are talking about the DR after all.

Between the tropical effect on the electronics involved and the prohibitive cost of ongoing software updates and hardware support, the cost of the system after the point of sale is what will bring it down, in my estimation. There's a bar on another island that I've been going to for decades that has been providing state of the art viewer webcam to their customers abroad through several generations of technology and at least one change of ownership, providing half a dozen, viewer operable zoom/ pan/ focus views of their property and it is great when it's up but it'll go down monthly for some sort of upgrade, replacement or software issue. They keep up with the investment because it's worth millions in marketing to them but can any government in the D.R. commit to a similar type of investment on an even larger scale (they'll need a lot more than 6 or 7 cameras) where there's no metric to directly gauge the effectiveness of their investment like the bar has with the size of their client/ member base and the login stat's and receipts from each of them?

Webcam

Besides, the more you ask from one of these cameras (wide variances from midday direct Sunlight to low light 0.5fc) the more they'll be affected by the elements and the costlier the replacements will be and the more "Leon" is going to charge to keep the thing going. I don't know "Leon" but he's probably not doing this as a public service out of the goodness of his heart if he knows what he's doing. It's a business.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
for four years i lived in london, a CCTV capital of the world. cameras do not bother me at all. i do not mind them being installed in DR either but i doubt it will deter crime or result in convictions. detras de rumor has plenty of videos of various crimes being committed yet they still run articles about criminals buying their way out of jail. the presence of cameras may give people false sense of security and make them forget about other precautions. cameras don't stop people from killing others.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
tell that to all these surveillance guys...the same like mass surveilance doesnt stop at all terrorist attacks - EVEN the government studies show that....

actually as for the cams mounted in negocios and so on - I would think that they may help a little...or the potential robbers would need to use balaclavas ;-)
cameras don't stop people from killing others.

hombre987

Nov 17, 2013
You are NOTHING, seriously do you think people care who you are or what you do?! WE DON'T! This is for major criminal activity!
I asked for opinions on it and gave mine and you make personal attacks for no reason. You're unbelievably arrogant since you're personally attack people on this thread who you disagree with. Your time will come, not a question of if, just when. That's how life works.

Last edited:

hombre987

Nov 17, 2013
oh, and btw. - there is difference between mass surveillance on populations - WHICH IS WRONG & ILLEGAL , and putting cameras by business owners in Cabarete...i would say that they have a right to do it and GOOD REASONS to do it.
I agree that private business owners have the right to do so on their property. That's not the case in this case. This is a private individual pushing his agenda who just happens to, oh by the way, own a security store.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I asked for opinions on it and gave mine and you make personal attacks for no reason. You're unbelievably arrogant since you're personally attack people on this thread who you disagree with. Your time will come, not a question of if, just when. That's how life works.

In defence of HR, i have to say that this is an unusual post from him, he normally comes across as anything but arrogant.

I personally don't think the cameras will make any difference whatsoever and the chances of them still being up and in working order in a few months is next to nil. So my view is, sit back, and let them do what they want.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Caught two days ago (January 15th) with one of the many cameras at Kaoba hotel. This is the third accident in just a few months that i have seen on the internet caught by the cameras at Kaoba hotel. It could help point the blame in the right direction instead of just relying on one or two eye-witnesses:

[video=youtube_share;R5avNUPStaw]http://youtu.be/R5avNUPStaw[/video]

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Of course to the nattering nabobs of negativity (stolen phrase from Spiro Agnew) nothing will ever work so we should all just
stop trying to do anything that might be positive or help to somewhat assist in finding a solution. It is always the easier road
to just say "that won't work, that's stupid, forget that" than actually come up with a useful idea or critique with another
idea that might work. It is always the safest and easiest way out to be negative on most things. Keep your head down is the
motto.
matt.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Of course to the nattering nabobs of negativity (stolen phrase from Spiro Agnew) nothing will ever work so we should all just
stop trying to do anything that might be positive or help to somewhat assist in finding a solution. It is always the easier road
to just say "that won't work, that's stupid, forget that" than actually come up with a useful idea or critique with another
idea that might work. It is always the safest and easiest way out to be negative on most things. Keep your head down is the
motto.
matt.

Didn't ole Spiro-the-criminal thief die i n jail like Gotti?

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Yup but that did not negate the great quote "nattering nabobs of negativity". Did not like the man at all but I love the quote.