Q. about overstay fees

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
...could someone please explain the law enforcement system to me?......Cortez.....

You're fine until you get caught. Then you'd be screwed. Might be tomorrow, might be next Christmas or even several years from now. Those who play Russian Roulette time and again, eventually lose. I think they call it "pushing your luck" once too often.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
yes ...exactly overstay is illegal in the DR....the DR has many laws...I see very few enforced...and less resulting in jail time... being the overstay criminal that I am, I feel that $120 dollars for 2 years is a bargain...could someone please explain the law enforcement system to me?......Cortez.....

How long is a piece of string ??

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You're fine until you get caught. Then you'd be screwed. Might be tomorrow, might be next Christmas or even several years from now. Those who play Russian Roulette time and again, eventually lose. I think they call it "pushing your luck" once too often.

Caught? Explain how you can be "caught" when the Gov. has a policy of paying a fee and returning...............And you can call any DR Embassy or Consulate anywhere in the World and ask your stupid question if you are breaking a law by paying the overstay fee and returning. I have called and they all laugh at this....................

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
GreatLife
Haven't we been over this before....
it's a small goose.... might feed a family of one or two

Bigger fish to fry in this country
The money gets stolen at the airport - most times

Wishful thinking on your part (IMO).. too big to change

I guess you missed the smiley at end with wink..
Money hasn’t been pocketed on overstay fee in while, things are changing faster then most people like here...
Whishful thinking?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sorry... I have never paid the fee... so may be ignorant about the subject

I filed the 1st week I was here -- Jan 2008...

Wishful thinking was - Too Big To Change (Fail)

I suspect, once the systems get up to speed - they'll change

The threat is to identify chronic overstayers - which they may well do
If they do that - hopefully they will add a category for longer stays

That - in itself- may be wishful thinking !!!
haha

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm not keen to get drawn into this again. You know as well as I that that the govt records entries into the country and the length of time a visitor stays. If the govt ever wishes to enforce the immigration laws, they have the means to do so.

Will they someday? Probably. When will that be? I have no idea. This year, next year the year after...

I would think those who overstay for two years would appear higher on a list of persons of interest than someone who overstays for 90 - 180 days over a cold northern winter season. Clearly after six months in country, that person is living here and without being granted residency, they are living here illegally.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
So What’s changed in 25 yrs I’ve been coming here and Government keeps letting me in even thought once A yr I’m a criminal
As per some members here it’s seem we bicker amongst ourselves between cedula holders waving them high in air you need One of these! And government laughing “ look we give them access to our country,even pay there insurance when they drunkingly hit something and they still whine...we don’t need to police them there doing great job with out us :)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Times are changing, albeit very slowly. You can get away with lots of things until the day you don't. The logic flaw seems to be equating the lack enforcement to tacit nullification. You can jaywalk everyday of your life and may never be ticketed. Just because you haven't been caught or the cop is too lackadaisical to bother, it's still illegal to jaywalk. Same thing in the DR when people choose to overstay their tourist card or other visa.

No consequences until the day when that is not the case. On that day, there will be a printed history of arrivals and departures that will be used to show a pattern of abuse. The individual will be nabbed at the time they present their passport to have it unlocked. So far, getting your passport unlocked after overstaying is a formality involving money and a bit of time. No guarantees this will always be the case.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Times are changing, albeit very slowly. You can get away with lots of things until the day you don't. The logic flaw seems to be equating the lack enforcement to tacit nullification. You can jaywalk everyday of your life and may never be ticketed. Just because you haven't been caught or the cop is too lackadaisical to bother, it's still illegal to jaywalk. Same thing in the DR when people choose to overstay their tourist card or other visa.

No consequences until the day when that is not the case. On that day, there will be a printed history of arrivals and departures that will be used to show a pattern of abuse. The individual will be nabbed at the time they present their passport to have it unlocked. So far, getting your passport unlocked after overstaying is a formality involving money and a bit of time. No guarantees this will always be the case.
Exactly my point...why worry about something not happening today or in near future ,live for today! One morning we all won’t Wake up it’s part of life.. odds are in my favour as Canadian to get shot then exiled ;)

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Hi
Sorry... I have never paid the fee... so may be ignorant about the subject

I filed the 1st week I was here -- Jan 2008...

Wishful thinking was - Too Big To Change (Fail)

I suspect, once the systems get up to speed - they'll change

The threat is to identify chronic overstayers - which they may well do
If they do that - hopefully they will add a category for longer stays

That - in itself- may be wishful thinking !!!
haha
There system has tracked us all 7 yrs now and much better now they have the info in front of them comings and goings dates
They don’t care to use it...my educated guess it’s racial profiling for who they want..

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
A person who has to pay an overstay fee is illegally in the DR.
The overstay fees are an administrative work around.
There is no basis in DR law for these fees.

This has been clearly stated by DR1's own lawyer.

that's horse Sh^^ that never happens and you know it..

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

Sorry don't agree . I'll believe when i see it...........been hearing this same stuff for 20 yrs...

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Hi
There system has tracked us all 7 yrs now and much better now they have the info in front of them comings and goings dates
They don’t care to use it...my educated guess it’s racial profiling for who they want..

What race do you suppose they are looking for? Fairies?Ogres? Wrewolves? What nonhuman race do you suppose?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
A person who has to pay an overstay fee is illegally in the DR.
The overstay fees are an administrative work around.
There is no basis in DR law for these fees.

This has been clearly stated by DR1's own lawyer.

that's horse Sh^^ that never happens and you know it..

I know very well that what I stated in my post is 100% true.

You are the one that is wrong. Period.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I will give you two facts:

A NO ONE from any major country has ever been arrested, detained, or deported solely for overstaying a tourist visa.

B NO ONE from any major country has ever been denied entry to the DR solely for overstaying a tourist visa.