quality of eye glasses in DR

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Cataracts!

I posted above about getting glasses here in the DR that lasted about 8 months. I don't think that I got the UV or teflon coating that I paid for. I just don't know. I DO know that my eye exam in POP did not find my cataracts. I DO wear a hat to protect my skin and eyes and all my other glasses had the UV coating.

While in California last week, I went to an ophthalmologist for a complete exam. Here are some symptoms to watch for.

My vision has become very blurry in a short amount of time. I had some loss over a 4 years period and very rapid loss in the last 8 months. Both far and near.

Going from light/sun into shade I could not see and driving has become a problem having difficulty seeing the road and not seeing potholes. Even riding I have the same problem.

Rooms are darker, even when I would turn on more lights. My pouter screen is at its highest light level.

The Doc. found that I have cataracts on the back of my eye lenses. My eyes are not cloudy.

I'm almost 61 and he commented that I'm rather young for cataracts but did give an excepted theory, but not proven, that in our type of climate the sun does more damage and with us living on the water even more so.

I will travel back to the U.S. for surgery and have lens implants put in. A 15 minute procedure with about a month between for the other eye. I will NOT have to wear glasses except for close reading. (I'm having trouble just reading and writing now.) New glasses have helped some but only surgery will get me back to almost 20/20.

I don't know the costs yet but our insurance will cover all but the deductible and they lowered that in half. I have NOT looked for a Doc. here in the D.R. for this surgery so will not comment.

Just thought that I'd pass on a little about my experience. I see that we have a couple of retired ? ophthalmologist here on DR1 that may be able to "shed some more light" lol concerning cataracts.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ringo, I had my first cataract surgery in my 40s, second one in my 50s. My 80 yr old dad never had cataracts, and mom had her surgery in her 80s, so I guess I was special.

Ask your surgeon about "monovision". When they implanted my lenses, they made one eye for distance, one for reading. The brain compensates. You may not need glasses for anything. I don't use them for reading, but I do have a pair for the computer because it's a little further away than a book - glasses with only one corrective lens, the other is plain glass.

After needing glasses/contact since I was about 8, it's a pleasure to wake up in the morning and SEE. :classic:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
So my new glasses of 3 days ago are not working. I'm about 20/200 vision. That is that I can read the BIG E on the wall but it is blurry using one eye. Two is a little less blurry.

One other symptom is being uncomfortable with strong light. At night, on coming headlights are uncomfortable and you can have a temporary blindness.

I have to stop posting for the most part. Rejoice while you can. LOL I'll try to stay with the orphans but I stumble around other threads THINKING that I understand them but have missed ... can not see enough to read and understand the whole thread. When I loose my thought while writing, it takes a lot to see what I wrote before so I'm very disconnected.

This is part of having cataracts I guess. Set in fast and I'm a little ****ed. I hope that my experience helps others.

Dang... where IS my horse?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
So my new glasses of 3 days ago are not working. I'm about 20/200 vision. That is that I can read the BIG E on the wall but it is blurry using one eye. Two is a little less blurry.

One other symptom is being uncomfortable with strong light. At night, on coming headlights are uncomfortable and you can have a temporary blindness.

I have to stop posting for the most part. Rejoice while you can. LOL I'll try to stay with the orphans but I stumble around other threads THINKING that I understand them but have missed ... can not see enough to read and understand the whole thread. When I loose my thought while writing, it takes a lot to see what I wrote before so I'm very disconnected.

This is part of having cataracts I guess. Set in fast and I'm a little ****ed. I hope that my experience helps others.

Dang... where IS my horse?

Shucks. forgot the punch line. DON'T SCREW AROUND WITH YOUR EYES, VISION, CONTACT LENSES OR GLASSES!... DON'T BE CHEAP! FRUGAL AND EYE CARE DO NOT GO TOGETHER.

OK? :)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Cataracts can be caused by all kinds of factors, age being the most important one. Aside from that they can be caused by medication, especially steroids (in long and big quantities). It is also statistically proven that people exposed to long hours of sunlight-reflection get cataracts more quickly, so yes Ringo, you living on the water may have been a factor.

Alterego is right about the one lens for far, one for near, but keep in mind that it does not work for everybody. Some brains cannot handle it. They tried the same technique in contact lenses, but it was never a great success, hence the multifocal lenses afterwards.

Hope this helps.

BelgianK

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I had very similar acute onset cataracts. Got them fixed, but did find out afterward(!!!) that there is an excellent eye surgeon in SDQ. In facthere can do permanent contact lens implants for astigmatism in DR while USA restricted to only + and -because USDA has to approved each separately for no apparent logical reason.

Anyway, here is the reference to the doc in SDQ if you want to check that out. My cataract Doc said he was excellent and had no qualms recommending.

"Dr. Juan Batlle, you can Contact Maria Consuelo @ 809-563-1324 or on her email.oftalmed@claro.net.do. Give her a call and she will help you with any information you need."

I posted above about getting glasses here in the DR that lasted about 8 months. I don't think that I got the UV or teflon coating that I paid for. I just don't know. I DO know that my eye exam in POP did not find my cataracts. I DO wear a hat to protect my skin and eyes and all my other glasses had the UV coating.

While in California last week, I went to an ophthalmologist for a complete exam. Here are some symptoms to watch for.

My vision has become very blurry in a short amount of time. I had some loss over a 4 years period and very rapid loss in the last 8 months. Both far and near.

Going from light/sun into shade I could not see and driving has become a problem having difficulty seeing the road and not seeing potholes. Even riding I have the same problem.

Rooms are darker, even when I would turn on more lights. My pouter screen is at its highest light level.

The Doc. found that I have cataracts on the back of my eye lenses. My eyes are not cloudy.

I'm almost 61 and he commented that I'm rather young for cataracts but did give an excepted theory, but not proven, that in our type of climate the sun does more damage and with us living on the water even more so.

I will travel back to the U.S. for surgery and have lens implants put in. A 15 minute procedure with about a month between for the other eye. I will NOT have to wear glasses except for close reading. (I'm having trouble just reading and writing now.) New glasses have helped some but only surgery will get me back to almost 20/20.

I don't know the costs yet but our insurance will cover all but the deductible and they lowered that in half. I have NOT looked for a Doc. here in the D.R. for this surgery so will not comment.

Just thought that I'd pass on a little about my experience. I see that we have a couple of retired ? ophthalmologist here on DR1 that may be able to "shed some more light" lol concerning cataracts.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
If one is considering cataract sx with mono vision, one should adjust to a contact beforehand to test themselves.

But I believe most Docs/people give up too soon. It's similar to adjusting to progressive lenses in that regard, but requires even more time. But it's worth it!!!

I required a few weeks for it to work for me. I had a night and day mono vision, which I think helped because i never had it out while adjusting. I believe that the consistency helped. And once I adjusted, I could take out and leave out indefinitely and only had a few minutes to "readjust" after that. I used mono vision (even before I had cataract sx) for over 15 years and could even switch eyes, so I think it's just training your brain to the concept. The "dominant eye" thing isn't even necessary in my opinion.

Cataracts can be caused by all kinds of factors, age being the most important one. Aside from that they can be caused by medication, especially steroids (in long and big quantities). It is also statistically proven that people exposed to long hours of sunlight-reflection get cataracts more quickly, so yes Ringo, you living on the water may have been a factor.

Alterego is right about the one lens for far, one for near, but keep in mind that it does not work for everybody. Some brains cannot handle it. They tried the same technique in contact lenses, but it was never a great success, hence the multifocal lenses afterwards.

Hope this helps.

BelgianK

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I had very similar acute onset cataracts. Got them fixed, but did find out afterward(!!!) that there is an excellent eye surgeon in SDQ. In facthere can do permanent contact lens implants for astigmatism in DR while USA restricted to only + and -because USDA has to approved each separately for no apparent logical reason.

Anyway, here is the reference to the doc in SDQ if you want to check that out. My cataract Doc said he was excellent and had no qualms recommending.

"Dr. Juan Batlle, you can Contact Maria Consuelo @ 809-563-1324 or on her email.oftalmed@claro.net.do. Give her a call and she will help you with any information you need."

Thanks for your input and contact information.

Have you met Dr. Batlle or had him do any exams by him? Anyone else have experience with him?

We will give him a call. We also need to work with our Insurance people to see if they will cover it.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Never met or contacted him myself. It may be inexpensive even without insurance here......not not??

Thanks for your input and contact information.

Have you met Dr. Batlle or had him do any exams by him? Anyone else have experience with him?

We will give him a call. We also need to work with our Insurance people to see if they will cover it.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Never met or contacted him myself. It may be inexpensive even without insurance here......not not??

I've been Googleing him and found the clinic. Looks impressive. I'll ask our Doc. here at CMC about him also.

You are right about the cost and figure in the flights back and forth plus hotel and car rental. I had a hernia operation in Santiago at a good hospital, private room and all. $800. US bucks. In the States, with travel, waiting... waiting and more waiting and all it would have been closer to $18,000. Our Insurance fought with us that at least 1 zero had been left off the bill. LOL.

But these are my eyes and I want to check and double check everything.

Thanks again.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I have had operations for cataracts at the Laser Centre, SD and subsequent eye test. I am well pleased and saved a lot of money compared to the UK. I haven't always had them actually supply the gasses but have used my local optician, Cristopher here in LT, again no problems, no complaints. Straight magnifying glasses were RD$200.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I have had operations for cataracts at the Laser Centre, SD and subsequent eye test. I am well pleased and saved a lot of money compared to the UK. I haven't always had them actually supply the gasses but have used my local optician, Cristopher here in LT, again no problems, no complaints. Straight magnifying glasses were RD$200.

Thanks granca and Southwardbound for your input and recommending Dr. Batlle that is at the Laser Centre.
And thanks to everyone for your input and sharing.

This is getting TOOOO dang easy. It's scary!

Our U.S. international Heath Insurance has Dr. Batlle on their list of approved Doctors.
Our Doc. in California will get the paperwork to our Insurance people for pre-approval before we even see Dr. Batlle.
He will also send my file to Dr. Batlle.
My wife talked with Dr. Batlle this morning, he speaks English.
We have an appointment for an exam in the afternoon of Jan. 8.
IF all looks good and his findings match our other Docs., surgery the next morning.
He checks me the next morning and if all good.... we go home.
Metro Bus station is only about 4 blocks away.
A Hotel is almost right next door to the Clinic.

Centro Laser, Santo Domingo, Rep. Dominicana. Servicio Completo Oftalmologia.

I don't know what the charges are yet or if he will do both eyes at the same time.

:)

Crytonb99

Jan 25, 2010
Thanks granca and Southwardbound for your input and recommending Dr. Batlle that is at the Laser Centre.

Our U.S. international Heath Insurance has Dr. Batlle on their list of approved Doctors.
Our Doc. in California will get the paperwork to our Insurance people for pre-approval before we even see Dr. Batlle.
IF all looks good and his findings match our other Docs., surgery the next morning.

I don't know what the charges are yet or if he will do both eyes at the same time.

Do they speak english? Im thinking of visiting them on my next trip for an eye exam.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Dr. Batlle speaks english but I think that my wife got lucky that he was available to talk with her. His secy. does not. Office number and her name are posted up a few. You can see on their website that they have several Dr.'s and services. Perhaps if you call the main number, someone will be able to speak with you in english. OR.... have a friend here translate for you.

Good luck. I'll post my experience when I can see again. LOL.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

Mrs R LOVES changing things FOR me.
Now scheduled for the exam on Jan. 22, procedure on 23, check up and out 24th.
The other eye will be done a week later; Jan. 29 check up, procedure on 30th, check up and out on 31st.
She checked prices in the U.S. Around U.S. $5,000 PER EYE.
Dr. Batlle quoted U.S. $2,500 per eye IF the top grade implant lens' @ U.S. $900.each are needed.
I'll still need reading glasses but after wearing glasses for about 50 years.... I can deal with that. LOL (glasses on-a-rope around my neck?)
Our insurance lowered our deductible from $5K to $2,500 and MIGHT cover the 4 hotel nights needed. Bus fare too?

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
What ??

Good news, actually great news, but why in the world would an insurance company do that??!!

PS: You can tell him that Dr. Wellish in Las Vegas gave him the referral(s).

Our insurance lowered our deductible from $5K to $2,500 and MIGHT cover the 4 hotel nights needed. Bus fare too?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Good news, actually great news, but why in the world would an insurance company do that??!!

PS: You can tell him that Dr. Wellish in Las Vegas gave him the referral(s).

Thanks guy! YOU provided the lead info for myself and that others can use. GOOD JOB BUDDY!.

I don't know what goes thru insurance peoples' minds. I DON'T WANT TO KNOW! Other then... gee.... we will fly to the US and cost U a lot more?

I'll pass on that Dr. Wellish gave a recommendation......... AFTER I can see.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Do they speak english? Im thinking of visiting them on my next trip for an eye exam.

Dr. Juan F. Batlle, Sr.
L?ser Center
Fantino Falco No.3, Naco
Santo Domingo. Rep. Dom.
809-563-1324 ext 422 y 424

The two ladies I spoke with that speak good English are Tirsa (ext 422) and Maria (probably ext 424)

(I just copied and pasted from Mrs R email and see that the is a different address. Hummmm?)

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Email from the Clinic:

Dear XXXXXX,
It was a pleasure to talk to you today and guide you through the process of surgery coordination for your husband, (Ringo). I confirm the following information:

Tuesday January 22
1) Baseline evaluation: This evaluation will be performed at Centro de Microcirugia, calle Fantino Falco 5, Naco at 8:00 AM. The patient should not have any breakfast at all (no coffee, please). The cost of this evaluation is RD$3,000.00.
2) Ophthalmic evaluation will follow in the 4th floor, Centro Laser Building, calle Fantino Falco 3, Naco at 9:00 AM. The patient will be able to meet Dr. Juan Batlle, his surgeon. The cost of this initial visit is RD$3,000.00.
3) Cataract surgery requires an intraocular lens calculation (IOL Master), which will be performed after the ophthalmic evaluation in the 3rd floor. The cost of this diagnostic test is RD$2,500.00.

Wednesday January 23
1) Operative day: The patient should be here at 8:00 AM for the surgery. No breakfast.
Fees are the following:
- Clinical fees: RD$31,000.00
- Surgeon fees: RD$30,000.00
The cost of the intraocular lens needs to be discussed after the IOL measurement and varies according to patient's lifestyle, requirements, etc. The price range goes from 200.00 to 900.00 American dollars.

We will await for the clinical summary of Mr. (Ringo 's) written by his ophthalmologist in California. Also, please send any diagnostic tests previously performed to him.

If you need any additional information, please contact us I have copied Mrs. Tirsa Marin, who is in charge of the Surgical Coordination.

Please acknowledge receipt of our mail.

Best wishes,

Maria C. Varela

The above is a copy/paste email. I'm impressed with ALL the phone calls, emails and details. As you can see.... her English and spelling are better then mine. LOL. DON'T like the part about NO COFFEE! Oh well.

I'm giving all that I know as I know it to perhaps help and guide others.