Quarantine For Travelers Returning To The US Effective Immediately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We received a message this morning from someone in the process of booking a rental saying they were cancelling because the government was requiring returning travelers to
quarantine for 7-10 days. This seems to be the interpretation of what is required by an Executive Order signed by President Biden.

I wrote back saying "I found the executive order regarding travel on the internet. My impression is that they are saying the quarantine is for people returning from places where they are not able to get tested, That is not a problem here."

His reply "Yes even with a covid test they making everyone quarantine 7-10 days from international travels"

Does anyone have more information on this?

Jan 9, 2004
We received a message this morning from someone in the process of booking a rental saying they were cancelling because the government was requiring returning travelers to
quarantine for 7-10 days. This seems to be the interpretation of what is required by an Executive Order signed by President Biden.

I wrote back saying "I found the executive order regarding travel on the internet. My impression is that they are saying the quarantine is for people returning from places where they are not able to get tested, That is not a problem here."

His reply "Yes even with a covid test they making everyone quarantine 7-10 days from international travels"

Does anyone have more information on this?

See section 5: International Travel

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is my opinion: POTUS has no right to make everyone quarantine when returning to the USA. It will put "the fear of god into people" anyway because some won't risk it. Yes, there is an executive order where Biden is trying to make people quarantine for 10 days when entering the US. It will be virtually impossible to enforce. And I think it oversteps state's rights on this issue. Court cases to come.

President Biden on Thursday signed an executive order to back up Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines recommending that international travelers quarantine for seven days after arriving in the United States.

Biden’s executive order says travelers must comply with CDC orders that require a negative COVID-19 test to get into the country as well as a quarantine period upon arrival to the states.

The order tasks the Secretary of Health and Human Services with coming up with a plan for implementing the requirement.

The CDC recently released a new mandate requiring international travelers to get a negative coronavirus test at least three days before their flight. The mandate is set to go into effect Tuesday. https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...tional-traveler-to-quarantine-upon-arrival-to

Clandestino

Feb 19, 2013
For some of us who have to travel to restrictive states (and even cities like Chicago, New York) or companies which have strict visitor requirements (ex. Q. Have you been out of the country in the past 14 days? A. Yes. Result is no entry) we are not able to risk our employment. Some may have to work immediately following their out of country trip and their employer has strict requirements at the workplace of which they may violate and thus jeopardize their employment. Coupled with different state and employer requirements, the Biden Regime added layer of quarantine further hampers / complicates matters. I am sure there are many other circumstances / situations where collectively, the requirements / restrictions just make a trip to the DR not realistic.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think I have it put together so it is is clear, at least in my mind;

From the Executive Order

Sec. 5. International Travel.

(a) Policy. It is the policy of my Administration that, to the extent feasible, travelers seeking to enter the United States from a foreign country shall be:

(i) required to produce proof of a recent negative COVID-19 test prior to entry; and

(ii) required to comply with other applicable CDC guidelines concerning international travel, including recommended periods of self-quarantine or self-isolation after entry into the United States.

From CDC "After You Travel Internationally" dated January 4, 2021

If you participated in higher-risk activities during your international travel, take the actions listed above AND do the following after travel:
  • Get tested 3-5 days after travel AND stay home for 7 days after travel.
    • Even if you test negative, stay home for the full 7 days.
    • If your test is positive, isolate yourself to protect others from getting infected
CDC Definition Of higher-risk activities includes

"Travel from a country or U.S. territory with a Level 2, Level 3, or Level 4"

THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC IS RATED LEVEL 3 BY THE US STATE DEPARTMENT AND LEVEL 4 BY CDC

Reactions: Clandestino
Feb 7, 2007
it says including recommended periods of self-quarantine or self-isolation

7 days is recommended, not obligatory, according to their own wording
so you quarantine yourself for 1 day (you comply with the part of quarantineing yourself), because while 7 days was recommended it was not obligatory

Jan 9, 2004
it says including recommended periods of self-quarantine or self-isolation

7 days is recommended, not obligatory, according to their own wording
so you quarantine yourself for 1 day (you comply with the part of quarantineing yourself), because while 7 days was recommended it was not obligatory
The EO as signed states.............."required to comply with other applicable CDC guidelines."

Its semantics for sure..........and further guidelines from HHS are due out shortly............but if the EO says you are required to comply with the recommendations of the CDC regarding quarantine...........that wording does certainly sound obligatory.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Clandestino

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
Australia has some of the strictest border measures in the world.
Since the pandemic began, the country has been completely closed for all tourism in and out of the country.
Australians returning home from abroad face a mandatory state supervised 14 day hotel quarantine.
In order for Australians to leave the country, they must have an essential reason for doing so and be approved by the Australian government.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I think I have it put together so it is is clear, at least in my mind;

From the Executive Order

Sec. 5. International Travel.

(a) Policy. It is the policy of my Administration that, to the extent feasible, travelers seeking to enter the United States from a foreign country shall be:

(i) required to produce proof of a recent negative COVID-19 test prior to entry; and

(ii) required to comply with other applicable CDC guidelines concerning international travel, including recommended periods of self-quarantine or self-isolation after entry into the United States.

From CDC "After You Travel Internationally" dated January 4, 2021

If you participated in higher-risk activities during your international travel, take the actions listed above AND do the following after travel:
  • Get tested 3-5 days after travel AND stay home for 7 days after travel.
    • Even if you test negative, stay home for the full 7 days.
    • If your test is positive, isolate yourself to protect others from getting infected
CDC Definition Of higher-risk activities includes

"Travel from a country or U.S. territory with a Level 2, Level 3, or Level 4"

THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC IS RATED LEVEL 3 BY THE US STATE DEPARTMENT AND LEVEL 4 BY CDC

A lot less draconian that our Canadian requirements. “To the extent feasible” injects a bit of sanity in the new US international travel requirements. Ours is arbitrary and has very little wiggle room. Despite our more severe requirements, since the beginning of October 2020, approximately 1500 Canadian flights have carried thousands to sunny destinations. The government can slow the flow but they can’t stop it.

Reactions: CristoRey

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
By making it extremely onerous for Canadians to return home and get back to their normal pandemic activities the CDN Govt can indeed make it very unattractive to travel. The airlines are playing their part by posting very unreliable flight schedules. Flights available one day gone the next. With no reasonable assurance that your return flight will fly, you'd have to be daft to put yourself in a position to be stranded for what could be a long time.

Reactions: CristoRey

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
We know the US's plan is to quarantine upon arrival from international flights. The question is WHEN does it take effect? The only think I know for sure is what happens on January 26th. A negative result from a Covid test is required before being allowed to board a plane from whatever foreign country one is coming from.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We know the US's plan is to quarantine upon arrival from international flights. The question is WHEN does it take effect? The only think I know for sure is what happens on January 26th. A negative result from a Covid test is required before being allowed to board a plane from whatever foreign country one is coming from.
My opinion is that the quarantine cannot be put into effect by the Federal government. The Federal government in the US cannot even require people to require masks unless it is on Federal property. The quarantine requirement has no teeth since there is no way to enforce it. Quarantines will be up to each state to have or not.

Reactions: NanSanPedro
Status
Not open for further replies.