Question about ATMs in DR

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I will be renting an apartment in Bavaro for 2 months. I do not want to deal with traveler's checks, personal checks, or credit/debit cards if possible. If I go to a bar/restaurant/supermarket I would prefer to stick to cash transactions. I also do not want to bring thousands of dollars with me and leave it in the apartment or carry it on me. I know I will have to pay a small ATM fee and a small fee from my US bank when I make a withdrawal. I am fine with that. The only time I have had to use an ATM in DR was at an AI and it only gives you 1000 pesos per transaction. I do not want to pay a fee for every 1000 peso transaction. My question is are there ATMS in DR either at a bank, store, or residential community that would allow me to withdraw the equivalent of say $300-400 US dollars in a single transaction so I do not have to pay a fee over and over for multiple minor transactions? Thank you in advance for any information.

You will have no problem withdrawing a minimum of rd10,000 from most ATMs. My bank card for KeyBank in the US does not charge for International withdrawls. The charge will show up when you withdraw the money but the bank re-emburses you that day or the next. DO NOT bring a lot of cash and use a regular credit card sparingly. I used the ATM all the time and never had a problem.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I do not understand this. Are you suggesting it is operated by La Sirena themselves? If not, to whom would you turn if a problem (card eaten, cash not dispensed, etc)?

I don't know. It says something about Nacional on it. But not National bank. I have wondered who is operating it and how is it worth it to them if they don't charge the 190 or so pesos as everyone else does.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Talk about making mountains out of mole hills...
ATM?s work just like the ones in your home country. Most have a maxium withdrawl limit of 10,000 pesos at one time. Scotia and Popular are you best options for this amount. Others will allow a maxium of 5,000 per transaction. Of course you will also be stuck with the international withdrawl fees from your bank back home.

Best to use the same bank for all of your ATM transactions. This way, if there is ever any charges or withdrawls that may be fraudulent, your bank back home will only have to sort it out with one financial institution down here, not several.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Mostly all good. I also suggest;

1. two ATM cards on different banks. If one is compromised you will have a second chance.
2. prepay a credit card as well, then you have three options (Why pre-pay" To avoid gross interest charges.)
3. keep track on-line daily of your accounts to recognise naughty goings on immediately . . . or soon
4. if you have a compromised card and you call your bank at home to fix things, be aware that street-side ATMs will not let you change PINs. You may be able to do this in the bank itself.

wbr

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
just avoid bancoreservas ATMS.
Scotiabank - always 10,000 DOP
BancoPopular - usually 10,000 $, some ATMs more
BancoProgresso - some of ATMs allow to withdraw 20,000 pesos