Question about how much it costs to feed a family of 4 in the DR

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
We're a family of four, and I agree with CristoRey above. Our food/basic supplies bill comes to a bit more than 20k a month at the moment. And that is not because of basic local food supplies, but due to the milk products our smallest eats/drinks and what our breakfast supplies (European bread/ham/cheese etc.) are, those increase the bill nicely... Local things (rice, oil, meat etc.) we tend to buy in bulk, so that part brings in savings...
I would guess that it's best to ask the family in need. Don't think they buy much imported.
We helped with a U.S. $500. Via Lindsey at the Strength for the Journey. 60 food baskets. Don't know what was included or for how long it would last.
Not a problem since I'm sure that it helped.

Reactions: Auryn

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Our food bill has gone down considerably because we decided to avoid as much as possible anything in a can or package. Coffee being the one neccessity, for me. I think that the city is more expensive, for example yesterday we were gifted 6 avocados and a couple days before that a huge bags of lemons. Lots of oranges and magos for free in the MILs back yard.

Reactions: Fulano2

Ankhenaton

Apr 8, 2018
Ok. Instead of making a new thread, is $80,000 pesos per month a good salary in DR? What kind of lifestyle could be had with this amount in Santo Domingo (while supporting a family of 4, one adult and 3 children)? I know it's more than the usual salary, but I want to get the forum members opinions.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Ok. Instead of making a new thread, is $80,000 pesos per month a good salary in DR? What kind of lifestyle could be had with this amount in Santo Domingo (while supporting a family of 4, one adult and 3 children)? I know it's more than the usual salary, but I want to get the forum members opinions.

Compared to? It's quite a bit more than many make here. You can live fairly comfortably on $80k a month. Rent and how you eat can put a big dent in your budget.

Reactions: bienamor