QUESTION FOR THOSE WHO EXPERIENCED A HURRICANE HERE IN THE DR.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Being a chicken I always run away. But have to come back afterwards.While living in S Fla my house went thru 3 different hurricanes starting with Andrew 1991 or 1992. But made a lot of money rebuilding houses afterwards. I actually got arrested for price gouging for offering bottled water at $1.50 per gallon a week after the hurricane hit. Went to court without a lawyer and asked the judge to have the police show him what the price of drinking water was the week before the Hurricane.... delivered. He dismissed the case immediately.
Der Fish

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I lived through Georges in Santo Domingo.

The wind was one thing, but the flooding, lack of basic essntials (electric, food etc) was the worst part of Georges. Best measured in feet over the course of 48hrs, compounded by the lack of sewage or runoff infrastructure.

Same here. I lived in a house with an open terrace on the second floor on top of the carport. The terrace had 4 4" drain tubes, and it still filled up to the top of the 36" wall.

I ended up laying a trail of towels on the floor from the terrace door down the stairs to the carport door and ended up with a waterfall running down the stairs. I was amazed how well it routed the water down the stairs and out the door... lol

I only ended up with about an inch of water downstairs even though I was pushing it out the other door with a squeegee as quickly as I could.

No worries where I live now, but I still need to get my hands on a generator that can be hooked up in an emergency.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon, There is a lot to do but some overlooked things are to put almost full half gallons of water in the freezer. Should give you about a 2 days of coolness. Actually it is a good idea for when ever you have power outages. The hurricane wind tear up all the insects especially bees and wasps so stock up on big spray.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Am a veteran of David (1979) and Georges (1998). Fingers crossed that Irma may go north… but best scenario we should get very heavy rain, so prepare to evacuate or bunker in for 2-3 days.

1. Keep cash at hand.
2. Board up windows with plywood. Taping windows is a myth.
3. Prune trees to remove overhanging branches that can come in contact with electrical lines. Remove any objects that are loose or could fly.
4. Fill propane and diesel tanks at your condominium or home.
5. If you live in a building… Make sure the elevator is parked at the top floor, not the bottom floor.
6. Fill fuel tanks in all your vehicles.
7. Have two-week's supply of prescription drugs.
8. Stock up on bottled water and canned food.
9. Evacuate if your area gets flooded… this includes areas in Punta Cana that were built in recovered flooded lands. Secure everything on tables or above ground.
10. Prepare a sancocho.
11. Take pets out (to go to the bathroom) close to hour zero approaches
12. Prepare as best as you can, and then relax and follow the news.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
I’m not trying to make lite of any hurricane hitting the DR. Here on the north coast however, it’s not a bad place to be. We live in La Isabella harbor (near Luperon). IF a hurricane hits the east, or the south coast, by the time it gets here, it has generally lost a lot of its punch. In the last ten years I can remember 3 hurricanes that ran up the north coast. Ike and Hanna are two that I remember. Ike was only one degree off the north coast and we experience some rain and around 45 MPH winds. We are on the “weak side” of the hurricanes running up the coast. Hanna on the other hand, ran up the north coast, but then turned directly SOUTH to Haiti. Made a really mess of things there….then headed back north and then west to Florida. My biggest fear would be if the hurricane turned south and we had a direct hit. (I am more fearful of a tsunami from an earthquake in the “trench”. Sea level drops from about 3000 feet to 28,000 feet about 30 miles off the north coast…and the fault line is at the bottom!!). So…not trying to be complacent here, but at the moment I am not too worried about IRMA based on its present track. Remember that most of the high energy is around very close to the eye. If I were in the Turks and Cacaos……I would be leaving the area soon!!! Just my 2 pesos!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It' still too early to panic. I haven't experienced a hurricane or the glancing blow of one but I have seen what they look like on TV - the uninitiated can't help but be concerned. The current track predictions for Irma would suggest that if nothing changes dramatically, the northern and north eastern portions of the DR could be in for a blow and some rain. How intense this could be will remain a matter of speculation until a day or so before the storm's arrival. I don't think it will take a direct hit to cause a bunch of problems here.

Based on the reports available on Tuesday morning, if called for, I'll move all of the outdoor stuff to secure locations. Using last winters rains as a guide, I know where water on my property flows and accumulates. I'll have the gardener clear drainage ditches and facilitate the movement of water away from the property. I live on an incline so gravity is my friend unless the hill gives way.

I always have lots of bottled water on hand and lots of propane. I'll have to do a better job of securing the large propane tanks so they don't blow over and break the their valves. I'm good for food, first aid stuff, medications and gasoline. I'm not buying anymore fresh food and we are working on eating up the frozen food. On Wednesday I'll email my friends and family and let them know I am as prepared as I can be but it might be a while before I can contact them again as the internet and cell service could be down for a period of time.

When I see these major storm events on TV I often wonder why more people (who could) don't choose to get out of the way when they know what's coming. I don't think I have any pressing desire to be able to make the claim that I survived a hit by a major hurricane. I don't think the DR will experience a direct hit this time and we may still get lucky and see most of Irma spin off into the Atlantic away from us. But, if Irma is a strong 4 or a 5 and if the track drops further south, I may book a couple of seats on the next flight to anywhere and try to get out of the way. Maybe a trip to the south of the Island is all that will be needed, we'll just have to cross that bridge if the situations presents itself.

Based on the state of preparedness by the Govt here and the infrastructure I can't help but be more than a little apprehensive. No power, no water, no TV no internet and limited ability to travel after the fact doesn't sound too appealing. If at all possible, I'd like to avoid public shelters and all that those entail.

In the end, it all comes down to our individual comfort level. If it looks like Irma is going to be a problem and you are not comfortable with your shelter, location, state of preparedness or ability to make do for a period of time without power and the other nice to have necessities, consider doing all you can at home and then going somewhere where Irma is not.

No need to panic, just make prudent and cautious decisions based on the situation as it develops and changes over time. The last couple of tropical storms that were predicted for my area fizzled and nothing of consequence happened. I am hoping for that scenario again this time.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I doubt the wall will pass over the DR, but Thursday & Friday will be rather interesting along the North Coast. Right now waves look in the 15' range.

Bill Webster will have a safe front row seat in Abreau.

For the DR the power grid is in question. I suspect we may have some innerweb malfunctions.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
not in residence just now but I doubt I'd see much peeking out from under the bed....

hahaha

Have ordered diesel fuel for my power......
How to hold down the solar panels is a worry....

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
May I add to the list of preparations:

Make sure your computer and cell phone backups are up to date and in a safe place. Back when Georges hit Santo Domingo in 1998, that wasn't much of an issue. It was pretty much radio stations and the best coverage was on The Weather Channel.

Will be interesting to see how optic fiber Internet service holds up.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the worst i have seen on the NC was olga, in december 2007 and that was only a tropical storm. 37 people died in DR as a result of flooding, after the government decided to open the floodgates at taveras dam.

in terms of the rainfall and comparing it to november floods: we got the same rain within the space of hours. lots of it drained relatively fast but some areas stayed flooded for a long time. the building where we lived (on the upper floor, luckily) got one meter of water. by the time we got back home from work the water was gone but it left the mark on the walls and debris scattered everywhere.

days afterwards were a bit chaotic. many streets, especially in barrios, were not passable. there was debris and trash everywhere. fecal matter, dead animals, garbage, you name it. the power was patchy, coming and going.

so i would say: we aware the water can move really fast and the currents can be really strong. the rainwater rushing down the hill took entire section of solid concrete wall around my in laws house. and we are talking good quality construction. the water moves stones, tree trunks and so on, which worsens the impact. my advice would be either to leave the house (if in area prone to heavy flooding) or move to upper floors straight away.

number two issue, not mentioned here before is that the water is very, very dirty. that means danger of leptospirosis, cholera and other diseases associated with dirt. if you get fever and/or runs after contact with the water it's best to see a doctor.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
See the Haiti manual for the cholera problems....
They had it - BIG TIME....maybe still do

Good advice.....
stick to high ground

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Here we are at 1500 feet so never get flooded and no rivers nearby. The neighbours are not taking the hurricane seriously as say they never hit here which could be true for the ones to pass to the south as we are on the northern slopes of the Cordilla central so the mountains stop anything getting to close. It will be interesting to see what happens if Irma passes north. We are surrounded by mahogany forests - close to the house, and according to husband after Georges which hit as a Cat 3 there was not one tree standing in Juan Dolio and all of the lamp posts were broken in two.

Matilda

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
the worst i have seen on the NC was olga, in december 2007 and that was only a tropical storm. 37 people died in DR as a result of flooding, after the government decided to open the floodgates at taveras dam.
Olga was a problem because the TS just before saturated the ground, and there was no place for Olga's water to go.

I remember being hunkered down at mountainfrog's house in the LT hills as Olga passed. Driving back to Santiago every road was flooded but one, going through Salcedo...and it was a mess.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
HUMMM!
I am due to fly into POP on Friday 8 Sept.... guess I had better follow Irma!
Once about three years ago I had to ride out a hurricane in my Beneteau 351 .... in the Meteghan Nova Scotia Harbour tied to a float . I never experienced the 'eye of a hurricane ' before. At 0600hrs I went to the local restaurant for breakfast. Living on the yacht at the time. I commented about how the hurricane was overrated ... my friend suggested that I not return to the yacht because the worse was yet to come. How true! crawling on a float is not the most comfortable way to travel!
WE added three sets of loose lines as back up then got the heck out of there. There is a protected breakwater .. thanks to Neptune!
Still that yacht and float raised and lowered at least 4 feet.... Like in a pot of boiling water.
When it was over everything was well .... sold the yacht that year!
Russell

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The Frog has gone.... did a house swap, last I heard.... Italy ??
Interesting guy, but got sick of the nonsense of the DR.

That said, he lived in a very remote location.

I'll never forget being at his house when he suddenly jumped up, grabbed his shotgun, ran outside and fired at---and missed---a Cessna that flew maybe 500' overhead. He hated planes flying low over his house. He didn't mean to hit it, just scare the pilots.

He was quite the engineer--by profession. To this day I've not seen a more well-engineered house in my life, the epitome of German efficiency. He had double bars going to the second floor, and had these sort of hidden holes so he could shoot a gun at anyone trying to break through the bars.

Once we were there and his barking dogs ran toward the back area that overlooked the ocean, sloping with brush toward LT. He grabbed his shotgun and shot twice, high, randomly down the hill. Birdshot, he said, just to let any bad guys know he was serious.

He was an educated, cultured, well-travelled German cynical redneck. Oh, who developed his own strain of yeast for the heavy black bread he'd make in his brick oven. He demeanor reminded me of Andre Morrell who played Col. Green in Bridge on the River Kwai. I never knew a German who spoke perfect English with a British accent.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Interesting guy, but got sick of the nonsense of the DR.

That said, he lived in a very remote location.

I'll never forget being at his house when he suddenly jumped up, grabbed his shotgun, ran outside and fired at---and missed---a Cessna that flew maybe 500' overhead. He hated planes flying low over his house. He didn't mean to hit it, just scare the pilots.

He was quite the engineer--by profession. To this day I've not seen a more well-engineered house in my life, the epitome of German efficiency. He had double bars going to the second floor, and had these sort of hidden holes so he could shoot a gun at anyone trying to break through the bars.

Once we were there and his barking dogs ran toward the back area that overlooked the ocean, sloping with brush toward LT. He grabbed his shotgun and shot twice, high, randomly down the hill. Birdshot, he said, just to let any bad guys know he was serious.

He was an educated, cultured, well-travelled German cynical redneck. Oh, who developed his own strain of yeast for the heavy black bread he'd make in his brick oven. He demeanor reminded me of Andre Morrell who played Col. Green in Bridge on the River Kwai. I never knew a German who spoke perfect English with a British accent.

We came very close to buying that shotgun when he was leaving......I forget why it fell through, I think we wanted it while we were there, but he wanted to keep it longer......then we flew to NJ. Never met him, but did bring him 5 cans of wasp spray one year, that he wanted for security, not wasps.