Question on Breaking the Casket

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I wondered if anyone has experienced this and if anyone has heard of this happening in other countries. We had a good friend of the family die in NYC and was sent back to the DR for burial. When they put her in the ground they took a hammer to the casket and broke it so thieves do not return in a few days to remove it. I guess they are worth $1,500 on the lower end. I remember seeing them do that to my Father-in-law's casket but that was because it would not fit into the tomb. Then I wondered if this happens in other countries.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
they steal the name plates....bronze or steel alum...and no never heard of that

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Those caskets are empty after only a few days because they are no longer needed...

[video=youtube;EPWTvbTWhZc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPWTvbTWhZc[/video]

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Yes Tom that is normal especially for the better quality caskets

Matilda

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
It is common. I went to the burial of an uncle of my GF in San Pedro de Macoris and they did the same with the casket before sealing the tomb.

Asking why I was told that the casket would be stolen if left intact...

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Yep. Completely normal here. I am suprised creamations arent more popular here. Not really suprised but....would solve the theft problem.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr. AE and I never heard of it before. We've buried both of his parents, and this was not done. Both tombs were cemented/sealed while we were there.

Pretty horrible to steal a casket if you think about it......

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Whatever is of any value....

SargHammer_zps140df172.jpg

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
..... or dental gold.... :tired:

donP

Yikes, even worse.

It just seems so un-Dominican to me, as they are so spooked by so many things, especially "spirits". I'm surprised they're not afraid the spirit of the person they dig out is going to haunt them.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
A Dominican friend of mine had a cousin in NYC who died of a heart attack in his apartment. Relatives found boxes full with cash (he was a drug dealer) and decided that Tigrue should receive a decent funeral in the DR.
They spend about $20k on the coffin plus Armani suit, Gucci shoes you name it the whole nine yards and had the body flown down to the DR.
Relatives told the mother of the deceased about the thefts occurring at graveyards, she decided to hire a watchyman. The day after the funeral they found the deceased leaning up against a tree with only his shorts on.
Apparently Watchy had gotten some friends to help him, life in the DR ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Pretty horrible to steal a casket if you think about it......

nothing wrong with it, if you ask me. it's not like the dead really need it. they'd be just as dead if buried wrapped in old newspapers.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
even for cremation you need some sort of a casket, i think. no idea why would it matter.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
with cremation temperature being over 900 C it does not really matter. many countries use cardboard or cheap plywood as a material for cremation caskets.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
with cremation temperature being over 900 C it does not really matter. many countries use cardboard or cheap plywood as a material for cremation caskets.

Yes, in most cases there is a rented casket for the viewing, then the body is moved to a plain pine or plywood box for cremation.