Questions on retirement visa

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
That sounds like a much better plan. When I applied for the visa, it was valid for 90 days. If LicelotteM was it is only 60 days, I'd go with that.

For the record, it's not 60 days from the time the visa is issued to enter the DR to apply for residency, it is 60 days from the date that the visa is issued for your application be accepted in SD. You need to submit the application as early as possible during the period in which the visa is valid.

So, it seems that if you're going to file for a residency visa, you might as well have all the documents that you're going to need to submit to the Immigration Office ready even before you submit your application to the Consulate.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Pretty much.

Most of the documents you will be submitting in SD are the exact same documents you submit at the embassy. That's why they give them back to you with your visa. Your lawyer in the DR will need to write a new introduction letter and will discuss guarantor options with you etc. It's here in the DR that the bank statements come into play. So ask the embassy how long it will take to process and go from there.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Thanks... got it all...are you sure that's it? Make mental note to self...never apply for RD Retirement Visa.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Just to confuse things further.. here is something directly from the Migracion web site, most frequently asked questions. It seems to say your docs are valid for 1 year, although the birth certificate is valid indefinitely!

I have submitted my temporary residency paper with a residency visa that had expired a while back - I just paid a fine.

My point is don't stress out too much, rules will probably change by the time you get here and you will have different hoops or more hoops to go through. Good luck.

 ?Cu?nto tiempo de vigencia tienen los documentos extranjeros para la solicitud de residencia temporal?
 Los Documentos presentados por un extranjero para la solicitud de Residencia Temporal tienen vigencia de un (1) a?o, a excepci?n del Acta de Nacimiento ( No Expira).

Last edited:

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Just to confuse things further.. here is something directly from the Migracion web site, most frequently asked questions. It seems to say your docs are valid for 1 year, although the birth certificate is valid indefinitely!

I have submitted my temporary residency paper with a residency visa that had expired a while back - I just paid a fine.

My point is don't stress out too much, rules will probably change by the time you get here and you will have different hoops or more hoops to go through. Good luck.

 ?Cu?nto tiempo de vigencia tienen los documentos extranjeros para la solicitud de residencia temporal?
 Los Documentos presentados por un extranjero para la solicitud de Residencia Temporal tienen vigencia de un (1) a?o, a excepci?n del Acta de Nacimiento ( No Expira).

Thanks for that. I guess once I arrive I'll just approach the whole process as an adventure in retirement.

Pancake

Nov 17, 2015
Dear JLA1125:

You must be retired and receiving your pension before you can apply for the retirement program. To apply for this program you will be required to show a letter indicating where you worked, what was your position, how long you worked there, when you started to receive your benefits and how much you receive every month.
You must also present proof of the payments received, i.e., copies of checks or bank statements showing deposit of your pension.

The Consulate might process your application and even grant the visa with a letter from your employer, but the Immigration Department will not accept your file.

Regards,

Do the bank deposits have to be "pension"? I don't get a pension but am using investment income to fund retirement.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The deposits must be from the same entity that you are claiming is paying you a pension. Migracion asks for six months worth of statements showing a monthly deposit but you can usually get away with as little as three months worth but no guarantees.

The idea here is that Migracion wants confirmation that you are receiving a regular pension deposit, wants to confirm the amount and the frequency.

LicelotteM

Sep 8, 2014
Do the bank deposits have to be "pension"? I don't get a pension but am using investment income to fund retirement.

Dear Pancake:

To qualify for the retirement program the source of the income must be a pension program. This pension program can be public (from the government) or set with a private institution (private retirement program).

If you are using your investment income, but you do not have a retirement plan, you could qualify for the "rentista" program instead. To qualify you must prove that you have been receiving a steady income of at least US$2,000 for the last 5 years.

Regards,