Quit asking me for money!!!!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
No Buddy,
who drives those Cars AND really can efford to drive those cars does not need any loan of 6K pesos to visit a nightclub or for whatsoever, the nightclub for that high level clientel would gratefully accept his Bill to beb paid by one of his 10 or 12 credit cards.
of course some chopos don't have such and still drive big Jeepetas.
Mike

Not in the DR. As I said is a matter of availability, but you guys won't ever understand.

TexMex

Sep 26, 2010
This is the best way to get people to STOP asking for money. It worked very well for me in Mexico, but I get some funny looks here (they have to think about it).
When someone ask me for money, say 1,000 pesos I say sure.

You give me 2,000 and I will gladly give you 1,000.

Works well...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Not in the DR. As I said is a matter of availability, but you guys won't ever understand.

I know what You mean,
but such happens between People/Families who know each others very well and interact with each other's Families on regular Bases, sure not for a stranger or a neighbour which you greet passing nearby your place every other week.
I got last x-mas Eve afternoon from a american Boat ankering here at my place some great Fishing Tackle offered for a very good Price, US$3K total, sure I am not a Nuthead who keeps such sums in all currencies in the House, Pesos not suitable for a foreign Boat, so I went down to the Colmadon of our lil Fishing Town, told the Owner who in Town would have 3K$ handy before Dec25th 9AM(the next Day, when the Boat been sheduled to leave), he told me 'wait a minute", I took a Beer with my Buddy and 15 minutes later, when we ordered the 2nd Bien Fria the owner passed me a lil Plastic Bag over the counter, biggest bills been 50's, most been 20's, I did not count before I was Home(200 meters walk) several Beers later, sure it was exactly 3K$, no questions asked, not asked when and how it comes back. such is usual, but of course between People/Neighborus/Business Owners who know each others well.
the next working Day of course I went to the Bank, withdraw the money, stepped by the Colmadon for a Beer and paid the 'Prestamo' back.
for a near stranger, just a bit known, I would not give 1000 pesos for what ever reason and I would not ask a nearly stranger for any kinda sum to Loan Me.
Mike

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
pick and choose

how do we relate in our own countries to this problem?

i have friends that i would trust with a loan and others i wouldn't
same with family...there are those i would trust and others i wouldn't

to a stranger or short acquaintance..sorry...can't help you

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
If you lend money to someone in the DR, and are NOT a legal resident, here is something that you may find interesting (from Attorney Guzman's website - links on DR1):

Advantages of Obtaining Residency Status in the Dominican Republic ....

A nonresident cannot sue a Dominican national or a legal resident in court without posting a bond, usually quite high. A legal resident is exempt from this requirement.

Be careful out there!!!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Best thing is not to lend money.
Give money and say that when it is possible they can give it you back.
It will cost you exactly the same but without the angst of being owed money.

A wise man once told me that a loan not repayed is the cost of having known somebody.
The more of a twat that person is - the higher the cost.

I know what You mean,
but such happens between People/Families who know each others very well and interact with each other's Families on regular Bases, sure not for a stranger or a neighbour which you greet passing nearby your place every other week.
I got last x-mas Eve afternoon from a american Boat ankering here at my place some great Fishing Tackle offered for a very good Price, US$3K total, sure I am not a Nuthead who keeps such sums in all currencies in the House, Pesos not suitable for a foreign Boat, so I went down to the Colmadon of our lil Fishing Town, told the Owner who in Town would have 3K$ handy before Dec25th 9AM(the next Day, when the Boat been sheduled to leave), he told me 'wait a minute", I took a Beer with my Buddy and 15 minutes later, when we ordered the 2nd Bien Fria the owner passed me a lil Plastic Bag over the counter, biggest bills been 50's, most been 20's, I did not count before I was Home(200 meters walk) several Beers later, sure it was exactly 3K$, no questions asked, not asked when and how it comes back. such is usual, but of course between People/Neighborus/Business Owners who know each others well.
the next working Day of course I went to the Bank, withdraw the money, stepped by the Colmadon for a Beer and paid the 'Prestamo' back.
for a near stranger, just a bit known, I would not give 1000 pesos for what ever reason and I would not ask a nearly stranger for any kinda sum to Loan Me.
Mike

Agree Mike, I think you could have the cash delivered to you if you had call him on the phone :) The colmado's delivery would also bring the Presidentes...that's the DR way...by the way it does not only works with money or beer, if you are in need of anything (a desk fan, an stove! or a bag of ice) just call your friendly neighbor and they will deliver it for you.