R. I. P. Whirleybird

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I’ve just heard that former DR1 moderator Whirleybird / Shirley Henderson has died. Long-time members will remember when she moderated the popular Chat Room here, where a lot of long time friendships were formed. She was British, but lived many years in Sabaneta de Yasica with her husband Charlie, who predeceased her. Rest in Peace Shirley.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
She was a good friend and I will miss her a lot. We talked several times a week and she would stay with me when she came to Sosua. May her memory be for a blessing.

Reactions: AlterEgo

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Shirley was a great help prior to us moving to Sosua. She told us where to find cat food and litter and other odds and ends. That was 14 years ago and we would still send the odd message. She was a very kind person and I will never forget her generosity. Condolences to her family. Rest up Whirleybird.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
RIP Whirleybird... we moved here around the same time and met at Rocky’s 2007 Thanksgiving dinner. What a gem!
1693598804917.jpeg

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I’ve just heard that former DR1 moderator Whirleybird / Shirley Henderson has died. Long-time members will remember when she moderated the popular Chat Room here, where a lot of long time friendships were formed. She was British, but lived many years in Sabaneta de Yasica with her husband Charlie, who predeceased her. Rest in Peace Shirley.
In fact I was in the chat room with her the day of the Haiti quake back in 09. Peace for her soul.

Aug 21, 2007
This is sad to hear! I wondered why I had not heard from her for a long time. I worried about her isolation in the past years, her sale of her house and move to a small Dominican type house. I hope someone is adopting her dogs and I hope she is with her Charlie again and they are happily partying like in the old days.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Always sad to read about the passing of one of the long time great contributors to this site, my condonlonces to all her friends and family.
RIP Whirleybird

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Omg, so shocking to read it without someone warning me. RIP Shirley. Abuela, what a great picture of her (and Mark). Brings back so many memories of the old days. She will be missed and held in memories.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Omg, so shocking to read it without someone warning me. RIP Shirley. Abuela, what a great picture of her (and Mark). Brings back so many memories of the old days. She will be missed and held in memories.

After “knowing” Shirley from the chat room for years, I first met her (and Lindsay) in person at your birthday bash in Sosua. We stayed at Shirley’s home many times, such fond memories of a kind, gentle lady. I like to imagine Lindsay greeted her up there with a celebratory shot of rum…best buds together again.