rape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
A 22 yr old Dominican man rapes a 14 yr old Dominican girl.

What options do the family have in pressing charges? Related costs?
In Sosua.

Thanks

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Important

Was the rape established by a medical examination (forensic doctor)?

donP

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
As well as a well documented POLICE report! Make sure there are witnesses or there is a good chance the local police might not show any enthusiasm to follow it through!

When did this attack on the 14 year old girl take place?
Were the any witnesses?
How well is the 22 YO Dominican Man connected?

We don't need answers here but YOU should consider them & be careful how much YOU get involved.

Good Luck ~ Grahame

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The only thing needed is to file a report with the police and follow up with the fiscal. The testimony of the victim is more than enough to place the rapist in jail, pending a full investigation/charges by the fiscal and children's safety advocate in the city.

The sooner this happens the better, as the investigation will also center about all the victim can offer to sustain the charges and that can be corroborated as evidence, even when circumstantial.

Reactions: waytogo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Any abuse of children and adolescents or within the family is dealt with by the Coordinadora Nacional de Ni?os, Ni?as, Adolescentes y Familia which comes under the Attorney General's office. They have offices in several areas:

:: Coordinaci?n Nacional de Ni?os, Ni?as, Adolescentes y Familias :: Contacto

There are also campaigning groups that may have advice on how to handle a case if you don't get anywhere with the official channels.

Nucleo de Apoyo a la Mujer (NAM)
(809) 581-8301 - E-mail: nam[at]codetel.net.do

Coordinadora de Mujeres del Cibao
Coordinadora de Mujeres del Cibao

Susy Pola is a Santiago-based lawyer and journalist with a column in El Nacional newspaper - you could write to her about the case: susipola@gmail.com

CIPAF (National Organisation)
ReadyHosting - Magaly Pineda

Colectiva Mujer y Salud (National Organisation)
www - Sergia Galvan

Reactions: waytogo

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
A 22 yr old Dominican man rapes a 14 yr old Dominican girl.

What options do the family have in pressing charges? Related costs?
In Sosua.

Thanks

You never mentioned how long ago this happened....
Is there any kind of a time limit to report something like this?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Do you really think a rapist is going to rape a young girl with witnesses watching?
But things are different here.....

As you say waytogo, things ARE different in the DR. I have also heard of groups of youths going round together for such 'Kicks' of molesting girls!!

However (& more to the point) whereas the alleged rapist may have started the rape in isolation, it IS conceivable that the act was witnessed by someone coming along or (if in a home environment) overheard the act. I am not prepared to rule out the possibility of witnesses until I hear to the contrary from the person who started this thread! But then, I have an open mind on most things. :cheeky: ~ Grahame

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
As you say waytogo, things ARE different in the DR. I have also heard of groups of youths going round together for such 'Kicks' of molesting girls!!

However (& more to the point) whereas the alleged rapist may have started the rape in isolation, it IS conceivable that the act was witnessed by someone coming along or (if in a home environment) overheard the act. I am not prepared to rule out the possibility of witnesses until I hear to the contrary from the person who started this thread! But then, I have an open mind on most things. :cheeky: ~ Grahame

You are right, I understand.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am not sure about legal chances but a family of a victim may discreetly have a go at a rapist and give him a good beating. it happens a lot here, a bit of a home made justicia.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
i am not sure about legal chances but a family of a victim may discreetly have a go at a rapist and give him a good beating. it happens a lot here, a bit of a home made justicia.

I agree, seems this will most likely be the only justice that the young girl gets if she has no evidence (body examination, proof that sex even took place, yet alone sufficient medical backup to link the guy to the offence). It depends who the guy is as well, if he has a bit of a reputation around Sosua and is well known (maybe even well known for rape), people will be less willing to get involved with handing out a battering.
Will depend massively on who the father is also (I would think). If they were hardened to things like happening around them then chances are the father would have been around and shot the guy by now. If he was a wealthy and/or well connected father then chances are the abuser would be locked up by now.
Like it has been said though things work differently in the republic and no outcome shocks in any situation.
Lets hope the young girl isn't carrying anything more problematic or health threatening other than bad memories which is probably more important to be honest.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
if something isn't done about this jerk (being polite) this will not be the last victim and, although i don't know the circumstances, he may return to terrorize this young girl again.

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
I wish I could offer some more info about this right now, but I am still gathering info and getting the story straight and do not wish to post speculation (i do not speak fluent Spanish and with anger and sadness came lots of slang and fast talking)

Is there someone, free of charge, in the Sousa area who offers support for victims of rape? her mother is not around and I'm not sure how supportive her female family/friends are (the accused is either family, or close family friend im not quite clear on that). her father is very supportive (and absolutely furious about this.. fury is an understatement) but I'm sure that she needs some female advice.

Thank you all for the information, its greatly appreciated.

I will update when I have more information.

And as for taking matters into his (the father) own hands, that is quite possible, however, when I talked to him last he said that the guy in question was in custody.

The topic of witnesses was not brought up so I'm not sure if anyone was present. if someone was, that burns by buttons because if someone was there and didn't do anything i think that would make matters worse than they already are..

it happened this week

Thanks you Chirimoya for the websites. It's provided me with lots of information regarding this.

Thanks again everyone.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in puerto plata there is a tribunal de NNA (ninos y adolecentes). calle beller #55, 809 320 7075. maybe they can help...

if the guy is in custody the father should "spread the word" about his crime. inmates will do the justice.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
As far as making things worse goes, if you don't speak good and could misinterpret things being said to you, then best
leave it to run it's coarse now. Misjudging a situation like this can be very damaging to peoples good name if people don't know what has happened yet spread the word of guilt in gossip, this isn't good for anyone involved, including the 3rd party (interested uninvolved party being 3rd).

Feb 7, 2007
Somebody has to play the devil's advocate role. Too much BS in the DR about "menores" and their games, most of the time the menores are the ones who seek the action and when caught or inconvenienced or denied benefits/gifts/whatever, then they bring up the "claims" and "charges" against the "perpetrator" (whom they had seduced or even shamelessly offered themselves to, in the first place).

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeFisher

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Somebody has to play the devil's advocate role. Too much BS in the DR about "menores" and their games, most of the time the menores are the ones who seek the action and when caught or inconvenienced or denied benefits/gifts/whatever, then they bring up the "claims" and "charges" against the "perpetrator" (whom they had seduced or even shamelessly offered themselves to, in the first place).

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT ABOUT LAS MENORCITAS. But anyhow guys always should know better than to fall in that trap.

Status
Not open for further replies.