Rapid Covid Test - El Conde

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
I am considering a 2 week trip to Santo Domingo area. Is there a place you know that provides a rapid 24 hour test near El Conde area to bring with me ?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I am considering a 2 week trip to Santo Domingo area. Is there a place you know that provides a rapid 24 hour test near El Conde area to bring with me ?
Many countries have tests at the airport...

for entering the DR- https://www.godominicanrepublic.com/newsroom/coronavirus/

(I spoke with one friend down there in Las Terrenas who said she was afraid of the test because others have told her that they stick the swab WAY back into the nasal cavity and friends of hers had reported headaches and loss of balance afterwards. I had one recently as I was running a fever and it was just like a Q-Tip on the bottom of the nose. I think that originally the tests were pretty horrible.

Perhaps others can answer if you could bring a self-test down and use that? that is if you can find one...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Perhaps others can answer if you could bring a self-test down and use that? that is if you can find one...
I do not think self tests are accepted for travel purposes by either the airlines or immigration in the countries that require advance testing. "They" are looking for a document with a date the test was conducted and a laboratory result not a hand held test kit showing a negative result.

Reactions: thompstr

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe

results within 30 min. (pcr express test) incl. certificate (digital by email)
within 5 minutes walk from El Conde.

Reactions: melphis

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013

results within 30 min. (pcr express test) incl. certificate (digital by email)
within 5 minutes walk from El Conde.
It takes 30 minutes because that's how long it takes to imput your data on the form and email you. 🤣🤣
The fast express PCR test in Bavaro takes 14 to 18 hours and is $55.00 USD

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I do not think self tests are accepted for travel purposes by either the airlines or immigration in the countries that require advance testing. "They" are looking for a document with a date the test was conducted and a laboratory result not a hand held test kit showing a negative result.
Don’t know about the requirements for self testing prior to entry into the US. SwitchHealth sells Canadian government approved PCR test kits as well as the 15 minute rapid test kit. Both are self administered. Easy to do in conjunction with the SwitchHealth app. Each have a specific one time QR code and when used correctly come with a government approved documented QR code lab report.

They were readily available until Omicron hit. Demand far exceeds supply capability now.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Don’t know about the requirements for self testing prior to entry into the US. SwitchHealth sells Canadian government approved PCR test kits as well as the 15 minute rapid test kit. Both are self administered. Easy to do in conjunction with the SwitchHealth app. Each have a specific one time QR code and when used correctly come with a government approved documented QR code lab report.

They were readily available until Omicron hit. Demand far exceeds supply capability now.
Those samples while collected by the individual are sent to a lab for result analysis. I assumed the original poster was referring to the hand help rapid test kits that are not sent to a lab and display a result on the test strip. It is these hand held test kits that are not acceptable for travel purposes by most if not all countries as far as I know.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Those samples while collected by the individual are sent to a lab for result analysis. I assumed the original poster was referring to the hand help rapid test kits that are not sent to a lab and display a result on the test strip. It is these hand held test kits that are not acceptable for travel purposes by most if not all countries as far as I know.
The SwitchHealth PCR test kit is done by the user. No sample sent to lab. Stick the QR code on it. Use the phone app to register the QR code and guide you through the test. Take a picture of the negative result with the QR code and SwitchHealth send you a letter with QR code verifying the results. The LAMP- PCR test requires samples sent to labs. Both are approved for reentry into Canada. The poster will get a quick test when she arrives back in the States. She doesn’t need to test in the DR to board a flight back to the US. At least, that’s the way I understand it.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The SwitchHealth PCR test kit is done by the user. No sample sent to lab. Stick the QR code on it. Use the phone app to register the QR code and guide you through the test. Take a picture of the negative result with the QR code and SwitchHealth send you a letter with QR code verifying the results. The LAMP- PCR test requires samples sent to labs. Both are approved for reentry into Canada. The poster will get a quick test when she arrives back in the States. She doesn’t need to test in the DR to board a flight back to the US. At least, that’s the way I understand it.
One of neighbors here brought these kits with them. Cost was $150.00 CAN each. In order to get the QR code you must have a video call with someone in an approved lab witness who actually got the test and once it's confirmed negative the QR code is emailed to you within 45 minutes.

Health Canada has approved this. It's very convenient but more than double the price. If the test does not work you are back to a DR lab for a test.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
One of neighbors here brought these kits with them. Cost was $150.00 CAN each. In order to get the QR code you must have a video call with someone in an approved lab witness who actually got the test and once it's confirmed negative the QR code is emailed to you within 45 minutes.

Health Canada has approved this. It's very convenient but more than double the price. If the test does not work you are back to a DR lab for a test.
I agree. For those who aren’t familiar with testing protocols, video calls, etc., pay the price and get a test done at a local lab. Otherwise you would need to purchase two kits, one to use and one for backup. The cost would exceed the cost of a local DR lab test. I get the test kits for $79 Canadian. I’m an Aeroplan member. I’m fully trained in testing protocols. Used field test kits for years in my profession. I’m totally comfortable with them. I’d still buy two in case the first one failed to show a definitive result. I like the convenience of doing my own testing. If I’m positive, I want to know it as soon as possible so I can make other arrangements. I’d still head to a local DR lab to confirm the positive result.

Aug 31, 2011
We are planning a trip to Samana City maybe Las Galeras. The bus ride back to Santo Domingo is 3+ hours. Is there lab tests AT the airport? There are no clinics offering test in Samana, Samana... as far as I have researched. Not sure how to test coming from there with all luggage in tow and needing to coordinate with a flight back to USA. Suggestions?