RD$10,000 limit at Scotia Bank ATMs

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Yeah,
but that's an Update from April 2004, isn't it?
I did never pay any extra Fee at any ATM on the Island til 2nd last Tuesday.
that's why I asked when He/She withdraw money from the Scotia Bank ATM in the DR free of extra charge the last Time, because it is something New here, October 2010 Update please.
thanks
Mike
No, that isn't an update from 2004.
That is current information.

Scotiabank - Global ATM Alliance
http://www.scotiabank.com/images/en/filespersonal/24207.pdf

2004 is the simply effective date of the currency conversion fee charged by the VISA network.

For foreign currency withdrawals performed at ABMs outside Canada, VISA International on our behalf determines the foreign currency exchange rate on the date of conversion. Effective from April 5, 2004, the exchange rate includes an amount equal to 2.5% of the converted amount.

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
We withdrew monies weds. and thurs. ---no fees. Again this is the relationship between bofa and Scotia. If you have a Schwab bank debit card there are no ATM fees worldwide.

Well in essence there are no ATM fees after they rebate you at the end of the month. I believe it is up to $25 worth of fees per month, but I am not absolutely sure on that. At $112RD per transaction, you are looking at $3 a transaction, which seems awfully expensive for DR.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Well in essence there are no ATM fees after they rebate you at the end of the month. I believe it is up to $25 worth of fees per month, but I am not absolutely sure on that. At $112RD per transaction, you are looking at $3 a transaction, which seems awfully expensive for DR.
$3 seems cheap to me.
If you take out 10,000 pesos, it is around 1%.
If you take out 1,000 pesos, then it is very expensive.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Yes,
I also find it cheap,
10K per sweep the 112 pesos Fee is 1.12% only.
so if others wave the Fee but take a 2+%% on the exchange rate I will happily stick to the 1.12% of Fee which would be half of a Fee only.
sure,
people who just take small amounts per transaction will be better of with a %% on the exchange Rate instead of a fix per transaction Fee.
Mike

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Yes,
I also find it cheap,
10K per sweep the 112 pesos Fee is 1.12% only.
so if others wave the Fee but take a 2+%% on the exchange rate I will happily stick to the 1.12% of Fee which would be half of a Fee only.
sure,
people who just take small amounts per transaction will be better of with a %% on the exchange Rate instead of a fix per transaction Fee.
Mike
It is highly likely that you are also getting dinged for a currency conversion fee of at least 1%.
What bank are you with?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
darn, the copy and paste from my bank account's site to here in the Post doesn't work.
what I use is a Master Card credit card from Germany,
connected to a Bank Account with the Deutsche Postbank,
the account get's monthly automatically Billed for what I took/used/paid with the CC.
so I took sweeps of 10K Pesos each, the max the ATM's allow here.
each sweep I got charged:
10.112.- Pesos by exchange Rate of 51.71862 for 195.52.- Euros,
plus 3.58Euros(1.85%) for the Use of My CC in a Country Outside of the EU,
plus 5 Euros per Transaction for Taking Money Cash.

those Fees been the same since long Years, the difference now is the 112 pesos ectra for the ATM provider here in DR, that's why they charged me 10112 pesos while I got of course just 10000 pesos per sweep.

so to take 10K Pesos which been by that Day's exchange Rate 193.354 Euros,
I paid in Fees 5 Euros plus 3.58 Euros plus for the ATM Provider 2.17 Euros, total of 10.75 Euros, for received 193.354 Euros that's a 5.56% of Total Bank Fees, CC Company/Homebank and Local ATM Provider together.
the official exchange rate that Day from Euros in Pesos been 51.6175, so my homebank took nothing on top of that in case of exchange rate, the opposite, they been even great at my favor.
exchange rates from prior Dates like October 14th when I did my above mentioned Transactions can be looked up on Conversor de divisas | OANDA
just fill in the currencies and change the date in the Box.

so now I pay each sweep to take Pesos out of an ATM here in DR 5.56% while I paid til now just 4.44% for the same Transaction.

transfering money directly from the same Euros account over here to my DR Savings Account where I can withdraw the money then 5 Business Days later in the foreign currency costs me for Transfers up to 3.000.- Euros 3.19%, no Extra Fee for the Receiving Bank on my Savings Account here, but of course I have to look myself for the Place with the best Exchange Rate and have to wait til the Wire arrives.

those are My own 2 mostly used Variations of getting my Money in my hands, from Germany to the DR, sure the US or Canada or GB will have their own regulations and may apply different exchange rates for the currencies, too.
cheers
Mike

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
so now I pay each sweep to take Pesos out of an ATM here in DR 5.56% while I paid til now just 4.44% for the same Transaction.
Certainly seems like you have it all figured out but I don't understand why you think you are better off than the people who pay 2% or so.
They don't pay the other 5 and 3.58 Euro fees.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Certainly seems like you have it all figured out but I don't understand why you think you are better off than the people who pay 2% or so.
They don't pay the other 5 and 3.58 Euro fees.

on the Exchange Rates for the convertion.
I can not tell for all providers and it is alsso different by countries, but 1 of my friends is always around 3% down on the exchange rate when using his Visa, we once in a while use the same ATM's at the same Time, our pocketmoney for the Road when hanging out together, and he always is pi$$ed about the exchange rate.
the 5 Euros per Transaction to the Homecountry Bank is something many others don't have to pay, but I am since so long happy with that Bank providing me with other Advantages, so it stays.

so Your Homebank just takes a 2% and instead of a Fee per Transaction they take only a pecentage of the Exchange Rate?
that sounds like a good deal to Me,
specially when taking less money per transaction then the maximum at the ATM. I always take in 10K sweeps b/c the per transaction Fee of 5 Euros would be the same if I would take just 1000 pesos per sweep.

I would appreciate to find a machine in the Area that allows a higher amount per Transaction, would make a big difference in the Fees tho.
Mike

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
on the Exchange Rates for the convertion.
I can not tell for all providers and it is alsso different by countries, but 1 of my friends is always around 3% down on the exchange rate when using his Visa, we once in a while use the same ATM's at the same Time, our pocketmoney for the Road when hanging out together, and he always is pi$$ed about the exchange rate.
the 5 Euros per Transaction to the Homecountry Bank is something many others don't have to pay, but I am since so long happy with that Bank providing me with other Advantages, so it stays.

so Your Homebank just takes a 2% and instead of a Fee per Transaction they take only a pecentage of the Exchange Rate?
specially when taking less money per transaction then the maximum at the ATM. I always take in 10K sweeps b/c the per transaction Fee of 5 Euros would be the same if I would take just 1000 pesos per sweep.

I would appreciate to find a machine in the Area that allows a higher amount per Transaction, would make a big difference in the Fees tho.
Mike

What about Progresso Bank? They allow up to 25,000 RDS per sweep.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Scotiabank customers can use a Scotiabank ATM anywhere to access their bank account without paying a fee except for the currency conversion fee that is charged by VISA.
Same goes for an ATM of other Global ATM Alliance members and vice versa.
That's why BoA customers use the Scotiabank ATM in the DR.

<table align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="10" width="393"><tbody class="calltext"><tr> <td colspan="2" align="left" valign="top" width="393"> Scotiabank
More than 2,900 ATMs across Canada, including at select Shell Service Centres and Cineplex theatres, 503 ATMs across the Caribbean?, 122 ATMs in Chile, 14 ATMs in Guyana, 273 ATMs in Peru and 1379 ATMs throughout Mexico.
</td> </tr> <tr><td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="393"> <tbody> <tr valign="top"> <td rowspan="3" width="5">
spacer.gif
</td> <td width="392">
spacer.gif
</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="dotline">
spacer.gif
</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td>
spacer.gif
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> </td></tr><tr> <td colspan="2" align="left" valign="top" width="393">
Bank of America
18,000 ATMs throughout
The United States.​
</td> </tr> <tr><td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="393"> <tbody> <tr valign="top"> <td rowspan="3" width="5">
spacer.gif
</td> <td width="392">
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> </td></tr><tr> <td align="left" valign="top" width="393">
BNP Paribas
3,650 BNP Paribas ATMs throughout France, 600 Ukrsibbank ATMs in the Ukraine and 1,900 BNL ATMs across Italy.
spacer.gif
</td> <td width="392">
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> </td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" align="left" valign="top" width="393"> <table style="padding-left: 10px;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td>

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table> Barclays Woolwich
Over 3,800 ATMs throughout The United Kingdom, Gibraltar, Spain, France, Netherland Antilles (St. Maarten), Bahamas and Seychelles; and 190 ATMs throughout parts of Africa (Botswana, Gabon, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe). </td> </tr> <tr><td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="393"> <tbody> <tr valign="top"> <td rowspan="3" width="5">
spacer.gif
</td> <td width="392">
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> </td></tr><tr> <td colspan="2" align="left" valign="top" width="393">
Deutsche Bank
2,603 ATMs throughout Germany, Poland, India and Spain.​
spacer.gif
</td> <td width="392">
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> </td></tr><tr> <td colspan="2" align="left" valign="top" width="393"> Westpac
Over 1,600 ATMs throughout Australia, 500 ATMs in New Zealand and 32 ATMs in the South Pacific (Fiji, Vanuatu, Tonga, Cook Island, Samoa, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands).</td></tr></tbody></table>

fjw

Oct 11, 2010
Mike Why would I not want to wire more than 10K USD at a time? what problem would that cause?
Cheers Frank

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Mike Why would I not want to wire more than 10K USD at a time? what problem would that cause?
Cheers Frank

for higher Sums at a Time You would be required to fill out paperwork, like explaining where the money comes from, proof that it's clean money etc.
Wires til $9.999.- are hassle Free.

Acira,
so You guys have up there a banco Progreso ATM where You can take 25K Pesos per Sweep?
I never used a ATM at BP, b/c their office and ATM are up in Bavaro, not near my place, but I def will check their ATM the next Time we need some Playmoney, it would save a lot of %%% on My own CC's Fee's.
great Info Malibook,
that way we get all the thingies together,
sometimes I feel like all those Banks do a different Deal with each single Customer, lol.
Mike

Reactions: Tamborista

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Acira,
so You guys have up there a banco Progreso ATM where You can take 25K Pesos per Sweep?
I never used a ATM at BP, b/c their office and ATM are up in Bavaro, not near my place, but I def will check their ATM the next Time we need some Playmoney, it would save a lot of %%% on My own CC's Fee's.

Mike

Up there - meaning Jarabacoa - yes
Down here - meaning Sabaneta/Cabarete area not really looked for one yet as the Banco Popular account is just working out fine.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
K,
til now I sorrily did not find any ATM in the Bavaro/PC Area with a higher Limit than 10K per Sweep, but next Time in Bavaro I will stop at the Progreso and check at the ATM if they have a higher Limit, would be very convenient.
the close to My Place banks with their ATM's are BHD, Popular and Banco de Reservas.
cheers
Mike

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
Banreservas is not charging the RD$112 fee at their ATM's yet. Progreso is also not charging the fee, but I had problems with their ATM as I noted here in the forums.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We decided not to deal with ATMs or checks for our next trip, did a wire transfer from our US bank to our Dominican bank [BHD]. One year we had trouble with an ATM, one year the bank didn't have enough dollars to cash a check from the cambio my brother-in-law took us to. Cost a pittance [$45] for the transfer and got there in 2 days, decent exchange [just over 37].

We'll have to open a dollar account next trip.

AE

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Cheers Frank

If you wire more than 10,000 US you have to send proof of where the money originated. I sent 12,000 and had to send where the money came from, in this case from sale of a house.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you wire more than 10,000 US you have to send proof of where the money originated. I sent 12,000 and had to send where the money came from, in this case from sale of a house.

I wired from our bank account, so that didn't apply. However, last week we sent $3,000 down to my brother-in-law to pay for some furniture we bought, using the same Envio place we always do, and the company they use wanted to know where we got it from. We told them we cashed a check from our checking account, and they asked if we had proof of that. Since we had come straight from the bank we didn't have a canceled check. The owner of the business ended up vouching for us because she's known us for many years sending money monthly to DR. Big rigamarole. Never again. From here on we'll use bank transfers.

AE

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I wired from our bank account, so that didn't apply. However, last week we sent $3,000 down to my brother-in-law to pay for some furniture we bought, using the same Envio place we always do, and the company they use wanted to know where we got it from. We told them we cashed a check from our checking account, and they asked if we had proof of that. Since we had come straight from the bank we didn't have a canceled check. The owner of the business ended up vouching for us because she's known us for many years sending money monthly to DR. Big rigamarole. Never again. From here on we'll use bank transfers.

AE

Our was a wire from Scotiabank Canada from our account to our account at BHD. It wasn't the BHD Branch. It was the head office for BHD.