RD$5,000 fine for driving during curfew

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Toque-de-queda-El-Dia-e1610467808151.png

You don’t want to be caught violating curfew in the Dominican Republic. The inconvenience, health risk and cost are reasons to not take any chance of being caught circulating without permission.

Those staying at resorts and hotels are subject to different protocols allowing for increased mobility. Unless you are staying at a resort, commuting to or from the airport to take a flight (with a valid ticket to prove it) or have a special permit issued by the Ministry of Public Health and the authorities, do not chance getting arrested.

Those arrested for driving during curfew are required to pay RD$2,000 to be released after spending a night in jail. Now, the Attorney General announces the fee is increased to RD$5,000. Those driving motorcyclists are fined RD$2,000. Those arrested on foot, are fined RD$1,000. Bars, restaurants, entertainment centers and private parties are...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Will someone please tell us who's bank accounts these
funds are being deposited into? I see another government
scandal in the making. RD$92,655,290 is a lot of money.
Are these cash payments? If so, this racket is ripe for skimming.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
And so it goes.. yes plan B is a old favorite here in the DR..popular with many that just want to be on their way. and more popular with the police.........

Reactions: Big

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Will someone please tell us who's bank accounts these
funds are being deposited into? I see another government
scandal in the making. RD$92,655,290 is a lot of money.
Are these cash payments? If so, this racket is ripe for skimming.

When the new measures were announced, there was video footage of the press conference and Abinader was directly asked that where do these funds go. His answer was: I don't think that's relevant here as it's the PN that collects the fines... There you go...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Another form of modern day slavery?

People arrested for violating the curfew and who cannot pay the corresponding fine, will be able to carry out community work, as long as they obtain the authorization of a judge:

People arrested for violating the curfew imposed by the Government and who have financial difficulties to cover the amount of the corresponding fine, may perform community work, provided they obtain the authorization of a competent judge.

This was ordered by the Attorney General of the Republic, Miriam Germán Brito, to all members of the Public Ministry.

"In case of verifying that the payment of a fine would constitute an impossibility for the accused, that they request the competent judge to convert the fine into community work, of public utility or community interest in a state institution or non-profit organization", He says.

The instructions, accompanied by references to the corresponding legal framework, stipulates that the National Police officers must present, “without delay and without fail”, before the Public Ministry any person arrested for violation of the curfew and the relative measures to crowds of more than 10 people in public and private spaces for public use.

These restrictions, which extend until the 21st of this month, correspond to the provisions of Decree 7-21, issued by the Executive Power on January 8.

Source: GenteTuYa

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Looks like DR is being like North Korea, maybe? Demanding too much while going after people's money and lives? They're broke due to COVID. Maybe Louis Abinader is not right president because of this hot mess. That is other reason I will not come down unless they remove the curfew and restrictions since it's killing the country with it.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Looks like DR is being like North Korea, maybe? Demanding too much while going after people's money and lives? They're broke due to COVID. Maybe Louis Abinader is not right president because of this hot mess. That is other reason I will not come down unless they remove the curfew and restrictions since it's killing the country with it.
Rice and beans for thee but not for me (or my family)

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
We are having a nightmare trying to get the permission documents, for hotel staff and contractors. The department that was issuing them has stopped issuing them, they just say there are no more permissions and that's that. Everyone seems to be having the same problem at least in the capital.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

With the requirement to get a PCR test before you go back to the US, and the difficulty of getting said test in DR at the moment, it's going to be pretty much impossible for you to come here anytime soon.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We are having a nightmare trying to get the permission documents, for hotel staff and contractors. The department that was issuing them has stopped issuing them, they just say there are no more permissions and that's that. Everyone seems to be having the same problem at least in the capital.
Are you saying the internet website for obtaining the permissions doesn't work?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Are you saying the internet website for obtaining the permissions doesn't work?
I haven't personally tried, but the people who operate my hotel have been trying for months and they say that the department that issues the permissions is not issuing any more. At least not in Santo Domingo. Maybe its a different story for the AI's, most things seem to be a different story for them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
With the requirement to get a PCR test before you go back to the US, and the difficulty of getting said test in DR at the moment, it's going to be pretty much impossible for you to come here anytime soon.
Yep, those RT-PCR tests are going to be a challenge to get within 72 hours.

It will get worse before it gets better. A lot more fines will be charged.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Obtaining permissions for hotel staff, should have been done already. Actually, a long time ago.
Contractors are a different story, as those steps should have been taken/applied for by them.
Of course with new restrictions, there will be a flood of persons NOW trying to obtain them, so delays in the process should be expected.