RD$60,000 added to wages of EdeSur manager, the US$10,000 credit card that came with the position is canceled

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019

As part of the efforts of the Abinader administration to reduce wasteful spending in government, as reported the US$10,000 credit card that was allocated to each of the general managers of the three government utilities (EdeNorte, EdeSur and EdeEste) is canceled.

As reported, the government power utilities managers’ base wages per month range from RD$575,000 to RD$695,000. A perk of a RD$250,000 in credit card spending in pesos and US$10,000 in dollars was part of the deal during the Medina administration. No receipts had to be presented for spending with the government credit card.

Milton Morrison, named general manager of EdeSur, says the utilities board authorized an additional RD$60,000 to his monthly wage for gasoline purchases.

He explains that his predecessor, Radhames del Carmen Mariñez had a monthly wage of RD$575,000 and his salary is now RD$635,000 a month, including the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
A manager at a Canadian utility corporation who has the right connections to land the job can make right around $100K CDN annually. No university degree, maybe some limited managerial experience, and the right type of privilege.
I comment on the corruption in the DR but this nonsense happens everywhere.
Does this mean the existing people have to give up their US $10,000 credit cards too? It sounds like it.

Reactions: JDJones

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
A manager at a Canadian utility corporation who has the right connections to land the job can make right around $100K CDN annually. No university degree, maybe some limited managerial experience, and the right type of privilege.
I comment on the corruption in the DR but this nonsense happens everywhere.
Does this mean the existing people have to give up their US $10,000 credit cards too? It sounds like it.
Is this a joke ? 100k for a SR position in Canadian pesos ? You pay peanuts like that and you will get monkeys. I have a hard time believing that Canadians make so little. That being said my trips to Canada have shown a low standard of living for professionals.

I would imagine that the scope of the role is in line with a VP with thousands of reports and people reporting directly into them at the Director level (probably with MBA's years of experience in management etc)

Senior GMS/Directors/Low Level VPs are worth 200-300k in USA. The credit card covers travel, perhaps for the staff that reports to them as well. 10k is in line with what someone of their role and scope would warrant. I dont really see a problem with this, as long as the individual is qualified and performing ( that would be the issue)

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
As expected he has an MBA at a foreign university, close to 20 years of experience. Is he not worth 120k a year ? Honestly, since he started his career the situation has improved greatly in the country. His niche knowledge and experience makes him invaluable and worth at least 2x as much if he was in USA

Clearly you did not read my post. Let me quote it directly: “No university degree, maybe some limited managerial experience, and the right type of privilege.”

Your link can not be accessed without a LinkedIn profile, but I did log in to see it. You’re comparing apples and oranges in relation to the example I provided. An MBA and 20 years experience? $120K is absolutely understandable. To reiterate, I referenced someone with zero education and limited managerial experience making $100KCDN/75KUS.

I should also clarify that my example is a manager of the entire corporation, but rather small local branches. This would be supervising 15-20 employees.

I certainly don’t see the logic in railroading the entire country of Canada as having low standards of living based on my post that you misinterpreted. Canadian professionals do not make considerably less in comparison to countries with similar economies or within close proximity.

As for staying on topic, had the Ede Managers earned their salaries and benefits up until Abinader announced there would be a clean up?

Reactions: La Profe_1