Re: Can one find true love in Dominica Republic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Free

Apr 28, 2002
Re: Can one find true love in Dominica Republic?

Last summer, I met a wonderful guy in DR. I truly believe that he is my soulmate. Despite the limited resources the island has to offer, Juan, my boyfriend has made something of himself. He is a student at the University and is a single father who is caring for his two-year old. He works full time as a teacher. We are in constant communication with each other. Since my first visit, I have been back to the island several times. Realistically, the distance between us is becoming increasingly difficult. We have considered marriage. This is not a man I met a local bar or beach. Rather, he is a family member to a close friend of my brother. The problem with our relationship is that some of my family members have questioned whether his feelings for me are sincere. Some of my family members have told me that, DR men are not attracted to women with darker skin. The comments that have been told to me regarding this issue has really made feel uncomfortable. I have always been proud of my beautiful african features and complexion. My skin color has never been a barrier for me in the states. Furthermore, I don't have problems meeting men. I've often been told, the darker the berry, the sweeter the juice. Juan affectionately calls me his negrita. On the other hand, DR is different from the states. I did witness in the hotel that I often visit, the women with darker skin clean the rooms and the others with lighter skin work at the front desk or in the dinning area. I must add that my family members have not met him. When I'm with him, I have no doubt in my mind that he is in love with me. I, do, however realize that the economy in DR is not conducive for many to live a comfortable life. Should I end the relationship because others think one way, or should I follow my heart and take a chance.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2002
Your color is not the issue. It's your pocketbook. You're American and you have something that they need. A way out of Alcatraz, a visa and economic well being. All Dominican men cheat and use foreigners for their own selfish reasons. I know cuz I'm Dominican and I was raised at different times in New York and Miami. I see your situation all the time over there. Whatever you do don't get married you will live to regret it.

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
why not just

take a chance? what have you got to lose. just think...what if this was true love and meant to be and you never got to enjoy it. have you considered moving there for a short while before you might marry him. this would probably be the best way to see for sure.
others on this board have differing opinions which may dissuade you but just remember you have to do what you think is right!
best of luck to you I hope it works out!

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Dear Abbey....

First of all asking a bunch of us what you should do is not real smart. You must be young. The girls on the board will certainly tell you to follow your heart. I would tell you to think for yourself. You are the only one who knows how you or he truely feel. If it doesn't work out though, there is a guy up in D.C. named Issac I want you to meet.....

Here we go again,
Bob

michelle

Apr 25, 2002
take the chance

I think you should follow your heart but use your head. I found love and I have friends that have found love but there is always the bad eggs in the bunch that give the DR men a bad name. I think if you visit him frequently , talk everyday and do the occasional surprise visit!!

I don't think color makes a difference. If he loves you he loves you. If he is using you for the visa then I would guess he doesn't care if you are black or white.....

Michelle ;)

Free

Apr 28, 2002
Re: Can one find true

Onions and Carrots,

I'm interested in reading more of your thoughts on this matter. I hear this all the time, particularly from dominican women, that dominican men are no good and they all cheat. I think its unfair to make such a generalization. Why do people feel this way?

Thanks Bob... I travel to D.C. quite often

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Free!!!

Please read the archives. This question has been covered many, many times.

Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.