Re Stolen Chain

KeithUK

Feb 8, 2006
The police have got one of the robbers but say my chain is in Puerto Plata and it will cost me 7000 pesos to have it returned. I dont think this is legal but dont want to go to a lot of trouble and cost of a solicitor, any ideas please. I have already been asked to visit the police station several times and it costs for a taxi each time, it is getting to be more trouble than its
worth
Regards Keith

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
KeithUK said:
The police have got one of the robbers but say my chain is in Puerto Plata and it will cost me 7000 pesos to have it returned. I dont think this is legal but dont want to go to a lot of trouble and cost of a solicitor, any ideas please. I have already been asked to visit the police station several times and it costs for a taxi each time, it is getting to be more trouble than its
worth
Regards Keith

Keith, you know the value of the gold chain, and if it's too much of a hardship to go to Puerto Plata, and the value of the chain is worth less than the hassle to get it back, then forget it! Or, why not? offer the policeman wages to bring the chain back to you, say 1000 pesos. However, don't give him any money upfront...

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
WHY will it cost RD $7,000 to get it returned to you? This is a 'TRY ON' I am sure just to see how much you will be prepared to pay to get it back. Isn't it YOUR property & legally should be handed back to you (virtually) free of charge??

Have you spoken with the Acting British Consul here in Puerto Plata? He is well known to the police (he used to be one) & gets things done that many others don't!! Send me a PM & I'll pass his details on to you ....... or we can go meet him together! ~ Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Lloyd said:
WOW!!!

Sounds like the Bush Baby has your GOLD??????
W H A T ???? Me have something that has an intrinsic value & that can tempt person or persons unknown to cause GBH to myself & family - or intrusion into my home??? Not pigmalion likely Lloyd!!

Medez is an old friend though & I know he would help wherever he is able - hence my offer to go see him! If Keith UK has not already done so, I think it would benefit him to meet Mendez anyway!

Taxis KeithUK???? What is wrong with the good old Guagua or routa taxi at RD $10 or RD $20?? I resume you are in the Sosua area & haven't learned the pleasures of cheap transport in the country yet? ~ Grahame.

KeithUK

Feb 8, 2006
I know this thread is now past its sell by date but I would just like to thank the persons who replied and explain a few things.
I have just arrived back in The UK and no I did not get my stolen chain back. The police had recovered several chains but not mine which is valued at ?600. My annual travel insurance covers me for ?250 per item which is better than nothing but my problem was the police would not issue me with a report for the insurance until they had finished trying to recover the chain and this took 4 days.With regard to the taxi business, I usually use the cheap cars but the day after the robbery the uniformed policeman from the Police Station where I had reported the robbery turned up at my condo in a taxi asking me to go with him and identify the robber. This was when I was told it would cost 7000pesos to get my chain from Puerto Plata. After 4 of these visits,each time I was asked to pay the taxi, I finally negotiated that I would pay the cost of police fuel to recover my chain. Unfortunately the end result was I paid them 2800pesos for fuel, the chain was not recovered and they even had my wrong date of birth on their report. I come to the conclusion that the police have an arrangment with the taxi driver. I was told the robbers were ( "IT" Mafiosa ) new to the area.
Despite this problem. I still enjoyed the remainder of my visit. I guess I was just too relaxed for my own good. I must have visited the same supermarket hundreds of times over the past 3 years and it happened so fast I was taken totally by surprise. However this incident could have happened to anyone anywhere and has in no way discouraged my love of the DR.
Regards
Keith

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Keith, thanks for the update.

It does sound like the police and the cab driver were in cahoots to scam you for as much gas money as they could.

Hopefully, by you posting your story, some travelers might learn to keep their jewelery and fancy watches locked up in their hotel safes.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
rellosk said:
Keith, thanks for the update.

It does sound like the police and the cab driver were in cahoots to scam you for as much gas money as they could.

Hopefully, by you posting your story, some travelers might learn to keep their jewelery and fancy watches locked up in their hotel safes.
Absolutely true. NEVER go out with expensive jewellery, day OR night.

Tourists ....... please leave your jewellery at HOME (it is MUCH too hot to wear jewellery here anyway!!).

Another word of advice for tourists is please check before leaving your home country as to if/where there is a consulate/embassy for your country in the area you are going to visit. Had Keith contacted the local consular agent, I don't think he would have fallen for the police/taxi driver scam. OUR consulate guy would certainly have been happy to go with Keith to the police station & prevent the RD $7,000 asking price for the necklace's return!! ~ Grahame.