Re: U.S. Social Security Administration: Is this a phishing attempt or real?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Absolutely correct. You can actually get Direct Deposit into a US Dollar account here. But you MUST fill out that form they send every one or two years or they CANCEL your SS. And who wants to be dependent on a form being correctly received by SS. NOT RECOMMENDED...........
Yes, that's exactly why I never elected to have my S.S. deposited in a bank here. I just went to ssa.gov and signed into my account. I was asked to confirm my email address. There were no notifications there requesting me to fill out any forms or update my address, so renewing my passport here hasn't tipped them off about living here.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
OP Summation (for the time being):

Regarding this matter, the embassy website, notes two addresses in PA to which I can mail the SSA-7162 form. I downloaded it, printed it, filled it out and signed it, and scanned it and sent it to my sister in the U.S. She will mail the document certified, return receipt, so that I have documentation.

Further, for redundancy, and to cover all bases. I am in the process of submitting the same to the embassys here. That's messy. The site says that you can mail it. The embassys uses Domex for passport re-newal and I have done that successfully. But when I went to Domex in Sto. Dom. today, they refused to accept the form and said they could not deliver it. That makes no sense. There is a fallback procedure. The embassy site also explains how you can make an appointment to deliver it in person. I completed that procedure and receive an auto response that they will respond in 5 business days (and next Monday is a holiday), so I have documentation of my good faith efforts.

I've done everything I can do, so now I'm waiting.

When I originally received SSA benefits I read through a series of brochures explaining the ins and out of receiving benefits in a foreign country. I opted out of utilizing direct deposit to a bank here. My takeaway was that I would have no issue received my benefits while being an expat in a foreign country, that it was perfectly legitimate. But I don't remember reading anything about the biannual mandatory documentation nor did I ever receive such documents at my official address.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
For the OP. Do you have Direct Deposit in the DR? I just noticed you had dealings with the US Embassy. If the US has you living in a foreign Country there is a form that has to be filled out. It is every year per the website.

It is a Huge mistake to let them know you live here. And they CAN cancel your SS............One of the many benefits the "Free Country" frauds give their citizens............
If I remember correctly, I was forced to let them know I live here when it was required that I re-new my passport. I have a BanReservas debit account but there is no way that I would have a direct deposit account her for my pension or SSA.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think that's overkill. They just want to know you're alive and kickin'. Send it certified to that PA address and be done.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Here it is ...

• Social Security defines living outside the United States as not residing in one of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands or American Samoa for at least 30 days in a row. If you return to the United States and stay for more than 30 consecutive days, you are no longer considered to be living abroad.
  • Social Security sends recipients living abroad a questionnaire every one or two years (the frequency depends on age, country of residence and other factors) to confirm they remain eligible for benefits. Failing to return the questionnaire will halt your payments.

You have a problem I am afraid. And let this be a warning to those here. STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE US EMBASSY....................
You are correct in what you say. Thank you for this. Unfortunately, I was forced to inform the US Embassy that I was here when I was required to renew my passport. I have always carefully updated my single offical US snail mail address for ssa.gov. Never did I receivev the forms that I was accused of 2x being delinquent in not returnin in 2022.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
I think that's overkill. They just want to know you're alive and kickin'. Send it certified to that PA address and be done.
Yes, I have downloaded, printed, filled out and signed, and scanned the forms to my sister in PA who will mail to the PA address return receipt, certified so that I have documentation. Further, to cover all bases, I am arranging to hand deliver the form to the U.S. Embassy. That's messy. I have to make an appointment, etc. That's "in work."

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Yes, that's exactly why I never elected to have my S.S. deposited in a bank here. I just went to ssa.gov and signed into my account. I was asked to confirm my email address. There were no notifications there requesting me to fill out any forms or update my address, so renewing my passport here hasn't tipped them off about living here.
Besides never receiving these forms at my reliable and updated U.S. snail-mail address, so I have I never received messages regarding the same when I log on to my ssa.gov account and check messages.

Reactions: cavok

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
My big question is whether it's true, as the embassy claims, that my benefits will be suspended next week, March 5. I've done everything I can do to submit the forms both here and in the U.S. but it's a waiting game and there's no way they are going to be received before the 5th.

I'm going to be in a mess finanacially, if I don't receive my SSA payment, to say nothing of medical not being paid . . .

Jan 9, 2004
My big question is whether it's true, as the embassy claims, that my benefits will be suspended next week, March 5. I've done everything I can do to submit the forms both here and in the U.S. but it's a waiting game and there's no way they are going to be received before the 5th.

I'm going to be in a mess finanacially, if I don't receive my SSA payment, to say nothing of medical not being paid . . .
If you are that concerned, and it appears you are, reach out to your Congressional representative in PA and explain the situation. They have the ability to cut through the delays and holds you would experience by trying to contact ss yourself.

Fortunately, in this case at least, you still have a PA address.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Besides never receiving these forms at my reliable and updated U.S. snail-mail address, so I have I never received messages regarding the same when I log on to my ssa.gov account and check messages.
The way the email is worded, it sounds like they sent the letters to your Dominican address(?).

clff4u

Sep 6, 2006
The way the email is worded, it sounds like they sent the letters to your Dominican address(?).

I'm with you on this, I have the same account and we always receive messages of importance, to think they are threatening to stop payments without a formal notification to our accounts is ridiculous . I will wait it out to see what happens.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm with you on this, I have the same account and we always receive messages of importance, to think they are threatening to stop payments without a formal notification to our accounts is ridiculous . I will wait it out to see what happens.
I think we would have received an email right from the SSA in the US and not from the US Embassy branch in Santo Domingo like was sent to my friend. The OP enrolled in the STEP program with the embassy. I think that's what snagged him.

Reactions: clff4u

gregvolt

May 15, 2022
new york
OK I would be super cautious. I have never heard of an older person getting their SS benefits cut off. As you know many of these scams are well disguised on the internet. Some of the pages look exactly like the government site but are actually designed to rip people off. Good luck and give an update, I am curious.
All you have to do is look at the address bar of the web browser to see what site youre actually on.. if its a something.ssa.gov or something.usembassy,gov then it's the real site.. that works with any phishing attempt. banks should have the real sitename of the bank when you go the site.. shopping sites such as amazon should always have the amazon.com at the beginning of the address.. etc etc etc

Reactions: Gadfly and cavok

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I just got an email from SSA telling me to fill out the notification and send it in as soon as possible , the problem is i haven't gotten anything in the mail.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
With reference to the US embassy notice about SSI in the Dominican Republic. Just for your information.

This applies to people who RECEIVE their SSI checks / deposits here in the Dominican Republic. This has been in place for years. I had an issue with SSI and resolved it in Santo Domingo, maybe 5 years ago. When I was finished, the SSI representative at the embassy was required to change my address from the states to my address here in the DR. About a year later my “auto deposits stopped”! I learned the hard way and was required to fill out the “special form” and return it to SSI before they would re-activate my SSI. At that time I called them and was able to “fax” the form to SSI but also had to follow up with the original form by US mail. It caused me about 10 days of grief.

All that said, I was able to change my address back to my US address and since then all is good. So the moral of the story is that if you have a US address and US bank deposits, no worries. Nothing changes and you do not have to fill out the form. So…I “lied” and they do not know I live here full time.

The form is simple. Basically they want to make sure you still exist and are alive! You may know that many, many Dominicans are US citizens collecting SSI. It’s a fact that when these folks pass away, their families still want to collect their SSI….and they do. Its fraud but….well you know!!!

Just my two pesos!! Cheers!!

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Hi, I know it’s being 2 months since the OP about this SS email , but did anyone of the members ever got their SS benefits suspended as the “SSA email” stated it Will happen in march 2023 ? OR was it just a scam email or was it a real SS email but it only applied for those who the SSA had in their system as living & residing in DR ?

Am Just looking for an update on this story

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Hi, I know it’s being 2 months since the OP about this SS email , but did anyone of the members ever got their SS benefits suspended as the “SSA email” stated it Will happen in march 2023 ? OR was it just a scam email or was it a real SS email but it only applied for those who the SSA had in their system as living & residing in DR ?

Am Just looking for an update on this story
OP here: It was not a scam email. I found the same letter at the embassy website. I wrote to the embassy and they said it was not necessary to fill out the form. I didn't understand why because there was nothing I read about the form that suggested I not submit it. I ended up sending an ecopy and esignature to my sister in the U.S. who mailed it. The embassy listed a U.S. address as well. Meanwhile, in the last location where I lived in California, where I am required to submit changes in annual income as regards an annual COLA for my pension, well, I received a letter from a different city in CA asking me for the same information that I had already submitted. And the letter from the embassy also wants similar information as regards any changes in income (plus marriage status). So here are three entitities, one in the D.R. and two in different locations in CA asking me the same information about the same account. Maddening. It appears that in the SSA, that the right hand does not know what the left is doing and that there is a duplication of effort (3x times).

I think it's reprehensible that they would threaten to suspend by benefits (the embassy) in ONE WEEK if I didn't respond. I even went to DOMEX to send the form and they refused to accept it. I've never had my benefits suspended to these threats/ problems--knock on wood.

And what the hell does the embassy have to do with the SSA?

rey

Jan 2, 2007
OP here: It was not a scam email. I found the same letter at the embassy website. I wrote to the embassy and they said it was not necessary to fill out the form. I didn't understand why because there was nothing I read about the form that suggested I not submit it. I ended up sending an ecopy and esignature to my sister in the U.S. who mailed it. The embassy listed a U.S. address as well. Meanwhile, in the last location where I lived in California, where I am required to submit changes in annual income as regards an annual COLA for my pension, well, I received a letter from a different city in CA asking me for the same information that I had already submitted. And the letter from the embassy also wants similar information as regards any changes in income (plus marriage status). So here are three entitities, one in the D.R. and two in different locations in CA asking me the same information about the same account. Maddening. It appears that in the SSA, that the right hand does not know what the left is doing and that there is a duplication of effort (3x times).

I think it's reprehensible that they would threaten to suspend by benefits (the embassy) in ONE WEEK if I didn't respond. I even went to DOMEX to send the form and they refused to accept it. I've never had my benefits suspended to these threats/ problems--knock on wood.

And what the hell does the embassy have to do with the SSA?
Question : do you think this ALL came from the fact that at one point you voluntarily informed SSA that you live abroad ?