Ready made empanada dough?

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Moves to the D.R this summer
what kind of cheese? white sugar? how much of each goes in? they sound good!!

They're delicious! I don't know what kind of cheese she used bak in Argentina, she had to find a substitute here and so she would buy a cheese that didn't have a lot of flavor (preferably a creamy cheese, but not cream cheese) and cut it into very thin slices with a swedish cheese slicer (I don't think the ones you guys use is the same, you can get them at IKEA) and place them on half of the empanada disc. Then she would mix a little water with lots of sugar (granulated sugar), and spreads some of it on the cheese, and then covers it with another slice or two of cheese. Oh - and they are baked

I absolutely love them, but they have to be eaten almost right away, otherwize the cheese becomes all weird.

Last edited:

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Here's the basic recipe from Aunt Clara:
Recipe: Empanaditas / Pastelitos (Savory turnovers) - Dominican Cooking

My grandmother made them with a filling made of some sort of white cheese, fresh mint and sugar, served with syrup I think - I hope the recipe was written down somewhere or that my mother remembers how to make them.

Wow, fresh mint and sugar sounds delicious!

They are italian donuts.

mmmmm... *makes Homer-sound*

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
(weird since they don't really make them here, but I always knew that I would love them, and oh boy did I ever)

they do make donuts here, or donas, as they call it. but i swear you could use this dona to hammer a nail into titanium wall.
i wish i could bake. and then i don't, because i'd be the fattest woman on earth. the only thing that keeps my arse grease in check is the fact that the nearest decent bakery is one hour drive away...

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
does anyone know how to come close to making the chicken filling?? also, how much oil do I need to fry them? do they have to be covered in oil? can I use a frying pan? so to make an empanada u just fill it, fold, press edges down with a fork..? do u need to put egg white around the edge to seal it?

I use about an inch of oil in a frying pan.They do not need to be covered in oil.Yes,you just
fill the disk with about 2 tablespoon of filling,fold and press down with a fork,dipped in water.
No egg white required to seal the edges.

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
they do make donuts here, or donas, as they call it. but i swear you could use this dona to hammer a nail into titanium wall.
i wish i could bake. and then i don't, because i'd be the fattest woman on earth. the only thing that keeps my arse grease in check is the fact that the nearest decent bakery is one hour drive away...

orry, I meant they don't have them here in Sweden (well, the ones they have sound a lot like the dominican donas). I should be thinking about getting rid of the extra kilos from my pregnancy, but nah, I think I might go to Krispy Kreme first thing when I come down

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Devdev there are so many chicken filling recipes.A quick one is to use an envelope
of chili seasoning mix.First saute pieces of chicken breasts or thighs in two tables
spoons oil.Add seasoning mix and 1/3 cup water and cook chicken until tender.
If you like you can add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste.

This is for a Southwestern flavor.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I spotted Chennifer's post about empanada dough this morning and it just nagged and nagged and nagged at me until I couldn't take it any more.....I went looking for a recipe that would be both easy and as healthy as possible. I then dug up a couple of pork chops that had to be cooked one way or another today and voila !!!!
I'm no pastry expert, but the dough turned out fine. Okay so mine didn't look exactly like the ones with the recipe but they do say that practise makes perfect. They were very tasty if I do say so myself.
Has anybody ever tried to use a tortilla press for the dough? If it works, it could be a real time saver.
If anybody is interested I found the recipe at How to make empanada dough for baking
Now excuse me while I go and eat a second empanada.
Burp. :lick:

oops....I would be remiss if I didn't say, "thanks" Chennifer. You planted the bug.