Real Estate in Haiti

terantius

Jul 28, 2022
Plants
1. I stipulate to the first sentence. I disagree with the second.
2. I have met many Haitians that speak French. Of course I have gone to university. Here. In the Dominican Republic.
You said that you've met many Haitians as a counter to someone making a statement about the fact that most Haitians DON'T speak French. Why bring your personal experience to a conversation about a general population if not to try and dispute factual reality?

So you tried to dismiss that Doctors without borders needed to stop operation on the basis that it is only "one neighborhood" yet try to reproach me on being familiar with Haiti's situation because you posted an article that says over 200 people were killed in a completely different neighborhood?

So what is it, are you familiar that Haiti's struggles are not exclusive to Marissant, yes or no?
"A further 254 people have sustained gunshot wounds, more than half of them residents without links to the gang"

You quoted over 127 getting shot with no gang affiliations as an example of the disorder only affecting gang members? Not to mention the battlefields are in the most populous place in the entire country, so how you can even attempt to make the argument this doesn't affect the general population is beyond me.

If you're comparing 200 in 10 days in 1 neighborhood to countries with over 5 to 10 times the population of Haiti, then your comparison is not apt. Not to mention, it doesn't excuse the human carnage at all.

I would love to see the footage of any poor bastards that buys property explaining to some goons how he actually owns the land. In the article it is explicitly said that people are kidnapped just for making ADVERTISING to sell the houses. But a piece of land they will respect?

Right, the gangs burning a government building is merely to stop the law. Not an attack on the government. And that makes it better? A lack of respect for order and hierarchy is the issue not the ideology behind the attack.

Revolutionary war? What does ideology have to do with the destruction of a society. The point is that there is no respect for Law. Not that they're trying to install a new government. The concept of respect agreements and exchange of property doesn't make any sense under the context of anarchy and subversion of the Law. It has nothing to do with revolution.

Your disclaimer has no relation to the fact that you pretended that it was reasonable for some to buy land in Haiti.
When you don't understand the levels of societal collapse occurring at the moment.
Literally your opening post.

Reactions: JD Jones

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If I were 20 years younger I would consider investing in Haiti RE but not in PAP. There are other areas up north, which I'm most familiar with, that could make excellent rental income or help out those that need the help.
Nan...accept the FACT there are millions of young, ambitious, energentic people in the world that are looking for a real estate opportunity. The world is their oyster and they have the resources to make valid judgement decision for the FUTURE. The buy in price is where EVERY speculator makes money. Nobody makes money or has a stake in the future saying "Haiti is gone forever, dead, never going back. " Only people wear a fools hat say that. I'm in the same boat you're in so I decided on making the investment in JD. A little more of a sure thing but something , God willing, I can handle .

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
You said that you've met many Haitians as a counter to someone making a statement about the fact that most Haitians DON'T speak French. Why bring your personal experience to a conversation about a general population if not to try and dispute factual reality?

So you tried to dismiss that Doctors without borders needed to stop operation on the basis that it is only "one neighborhood" yet try to reproach me on being familiar with Haiti's situation because you posted an article that says over 200 people were killed in a completely different neighborhood?

So what is it, are you familiar that Haiti's struggles are not exclusive to Marissant, yes or no?

You quoted over 127 getting shot with no gang affiliations as an example of the disorder only affecting gang members? Not to mention the battlefields are in the most populous place in the entire country, so how you can even attempt to make the argument this doesn't affect the general population is beyond me.

If you're comparing 200 in 10 days in 1 neighborhood to countries with over 5 to 10 times the population of Haiti, then your comparison is not apt. Not to mention, it doesn't excuse the human carnage at all.

I would love to see the footage of any poor bastards that buys property explaining to some goons how he actually owns the land. In the article it is explicitly said that people are kidnapped just for making ADVERTISING to sell the houses. But a piece of land they will respect?

Right, the gangs burning a government building is merely to stop the law. Not an attack on the government. And that makes it better? A lack of respect for order and hierarchy is the issue not the ideology behind the attack.

Revolutionary war? What does ideology have to do with the destruction of a society. The point is that there is no respect for Law. Not that they're trying to install a new government. The concept of respect agreements and exchange of property doesn't make any sense under the context of anarchy and subversion of the Law. It has nothing to do with revolution.

Your disclaimer has no relation to the fact that you pretended that it was reasonable for some to buy land in Haiti.
When you don't understand the levels of societal collapse occurring at the moment.

To support your argument I know of a few people who have a lot of street smarts and have a lot of experience on the island of Hispaniola who made investments in Haiti and decided to leave quickly because it just was not feasible under the current situation and didn’t see any hope for the future.

Reactions: kanson and JD Jones

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
To support your argument I know of a few people who have a lot of street smarts and have a lot of experience on the island of Hispaniola who made investments in Haiti and decided to leave quickly because it just was not feasible under the current situation and didn’t see any hope for the future.
Agreed....that's a business decision they are making at the moment. Similar to the futures market in stocks, bonds and commodities. Buying or NOT buying into the Haiti situation is no different . But that decision is made on a personal level as it is with ALL trades... there are two sides to the transaction.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-

You have expressed your opinion.
And I have expressed mine.
Thank you for sharing.
That is how I learn.

Haiti is a buying opportunity for someone.

Nan...accept the FACT there are millions of young, ambitious, energentic people in the world that are looking for a real estate opportunity. The world is their oyster and they have the resources to make valid judgement decision for the FUTURE. The buy in price is where EVERY speculator makes money. Nobody makes money or has a stake in the future saying "Haiti is gone forever, dead, never going back. " Only people wear a fools hat say that. I'm in the same boat you're in so I decided on making the investment in JD. A little more of a sure thing but something , God willing, I can handle .
The fact that I and many others have decided that investment in Haiti cannot be successfully made at this time does not mean that others cannot make it. Nor will not make it. At a later date.

Reference is also made to post number #64.
I am not here to tell anyone what to do with their personal investments.

Welcome to DR1 ‼️

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Agreed....that's a business decision they are making at the moment. Similar to the futures market in stocks, bonds and commodities. Buying or NOT buying into the Haiti situation is no different . But that decision is made on a personal level as it is with ALL trades... there are two sides to the transaction.
Somewhat similar. However one needs to be young, have boots on the ground, visit frequently and be prepared to spend a lot of money on attorneys and security. Much different than buying 100 shares of Amazon.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Somewhat similar. However one needs to be young, have boots on the ground, visit frequently and be prepared to spend a lot of money on attorneys and security.
With the exception of being young...your statement describes exactly how I handle my real estate investments in 🇩🇴.

If I was young, adventuresome and I could buy the type of land, in the area I liked, at the price I liked it would represent the opportunity of a lifetime. It is no doubt a long term investment. Go 🇭🇹

And no matter how many articles that those sitting in air conditioned comfort (just like me) may post up in here showing that they think investing in 🇭🇹 is a bad idea, no matter how many times the same people say that is hopeless 🇭🇹, that their problems will not be resolved in their lifetimes (given their age I have no reason to dispute that) there someone out there right now that is contemplating taking that on that risk for the right amount of potential return.

"The time to buy is when there's blood in the streets." - Nathan Rothschild
Much different than buying 100 shares of Amazon.
You might compare it to investing in AMZN early 20 years ago.
Very easy to buy now.
Might have been a tougher decision back then.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
With the exception of being young...your statement describes exactly how I handle my real estate investments in 🇩🇴.

If I was young, adventuresome and I could buy the type of land, in the area I liked, at the price I liked it would represent the opportunity of a lifetime. It is no doubt a long term investment. Go 🇭🇹

And no matter how many articles that those sitting in air conditioned comfort (just like me) may post up in here showing that they think investing in 🇭🇹 is a bad idea, no matter how many times the same people say that is hopeless 🇭🇹, that their problems will not be resolved in their lifetimes (given their age I have no reason to dispute that) there someone out there right now that is contemplating taking that on that risk for the right amount of potential return.

"The time to buy is when there's blood in the streets." - Nathan Rothschild

You might compare it to investing in AMZN early 20 years ago.
Very easy to buy now.
Might have been a tougher decision back then.
Go Haiti. Every Haitian I met was nice and a hard worker. I wish them the best.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Ok great investment, I'm convinced, and when there is an inevitable property dispute you can have it settled in the Haitian judicial system that is solid as a rock and a model for all judicial systems.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-

Wealthy Haitians buy businesses and rent homes in the country​

October 19, 2021

Dominican Republic Live
"Not only the wealthy class is leaving neighboring Haiti for the Dominican Republic.
More and more are arriving and now they are doing it in a definitive way with the purchase and renting of real estate.
They are buying and renting houses in the urban area and also commercial premises. In addition, they are interested in making investments in tourist areas and commercial offices.
In a survey with important brokers, such as the Association of Real Estate Companies (AEI) and Remax, revealing data was obtained about the movement of these strata and social classes in Haiti in view of the crisis and insecurity prevailing in that country.
Focus on the capital
Alberto Bogaert, president of the AEI, confirmed that there are wealthy people interested in renting premises of merchandise stores, clothing and household goods stores, restaurants and other establishments in “very busy areas” of the capital city.
“In my case, I have recently worked to rent premises for businesses on Mella Avenue, for Haitian food restaurant, and another for sale of clothing and household items on Duarte Avenue, for sale of wholesale items,” revealed Bogaert.
Haitians doing business are leaving their country due to the chaos there. Many have gone to Mexico, Chile, the United States and France in search of work, as a means of subsistence, and the richer ones have left with their families elsewhere.
Haiti is going through a difficult social situation that has increased after the assassination of President Jovenel Moise.
They go to the tourist area
Another real estate agent confirms that she has recently rented, in the tourist zone of Las Terrenas, to Haitian families, and has sold them a place to install an office.
Another real estate broker explains that he has sold a house in the Isabel Villas residential area and has rented to another family a house near the Malecon area, in Santo Domingo.
“There is a movement, yes, with Haitians”, said the businessman, who also points out that people from Haiti, with US citizenship, are buying homes in the Dominican Republic, in low-cost projects, but also in exclusive areas of La Romana and Punta Cana.
They all want to have an apartment here and, apparently, the main reason is that they are next door and they come with dollars.
Renting homes
Mélido Marte, president of the real estate agency Remax Metropolitana, also confirmed that they are registering rentals of houses and businesses and in tourist areas, from Haitian citizens.
In the Dominican Republic there is an investment law and another one that facilitates the entry by retirement, which helps legal foreigners to place capital here, without many restrictions.
The insecurity experienced by Haitians has begun to increase migratory pressures towards the big cities and border provinces. The flow is increasing and they have already settled in residential and other places, such as mountainous and agricultural zones.
Yesterday, Listin Diario published a report on the increase of visa applications in the Dominican consulates, with the intention of settling on this side of the island."

One of the reasons why the real estate market is tough in Haiti...few buyers.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Ok great investment, I'm convinced, and when there is an inevitable property dispute you can have it settled in the Haitian judicial system that is solid as a rock and a model for all judicial systems.
Here is some more education for you my man. Much success with your investment plans.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
I don't think that anyone is saying that the time to buy land as an investment in Haiti is now, just that there have been times and probably/possibly/hopefully there will be times again where it's a great, probably long-term, investment.

We can discuss/argue/debate it to death but in the end, it's opinions... although some are backed up with fact and solid references, and others....as usual...not so much.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
I am sure if you bought real estate in Haiti the purchase will recorded in legal measure and filed in the appropriate department. Lol. This is absurd.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Wealthy Haitians buy businesses and rent homes in the country​

October 19, 2021

Dominican Republic Live
"Not only the wealthy class is leaving neighboring Haiti for the Dominican Republic.
More and more are arriving and now they are doing it in a definitive way with the purchase and renting of real estate.
They are buying and renting houses in the urban area and also commercial premises. In addition, they are interested in making investments in tourist areas and commercial offices.
In a survey with important brokers, such as the Association of Real Estate Companies (AEI) and Remax, revealing data was obtained about the movement of these strata and social classes in Haiti in view of the crisis and insecurity prevailing in that country.
Focus on the capital
Alberto Bogaert, president of the AEI, confirmed that there are wealthy people interested in renting premises of merchandise stores, clothing and household goods stores, restaurants and other establishments in “very busy areas” of the capital city.
“In my case, I have recently worked to rent premises for businesses on Mella Avenue, for Haitian food restaurant, and another for sale of clothing and household items on Duarte Avenue, for sale of wholesale items,” revealed Bogaert.
Haitians doing business are leaving their country due to the chaos there. Many have gone to Mexico, Chile, the United States and France in search of work, as a means of subsistence, and the richer ones have left with their families elsewhere.
Haiti is going through a difficult social situation that has increased after the assassination of President Jovenel Moise.
They go to the tourist area
Another real estate agent confirms that she has recently rented, in the tourist zone of Las Terrenas, to Haitian families, and has sold them a place to install an office.
Another real estate broker explains that he has sold a house in the Isabel Villas residential area and has rented to another family a house near the Malecon area, in Santo Domingo.
“There is a movement, yes, with Haitians”, said the businessman, who also points out that people from Haiti, with US citizenship, are buying homes in the Dominican Republic, in low-cost projects, but also in exclusive areas of La Romana and Punta Cana.
They all want to have an apartment here and, apparently, the main reason is that they are next door and they come with dollars.
Renting homes
Mélido Marte, president of the real estate agency Remax Metropolitana, also confirmed that they are registering rentals of houses and businesses and in tourist areas, from Haitian citizens.
In the Dominican Republic there is an investment law and another one that facilitates the entry by retirement, which helps legal foreigners to place capital here, without many restrictions.
The insecurity experienced by Haitians has begun to increase migratory pressures towards the big cities and border provinces. The flow is increasing and they have already settled in residential and other places, such as mountainous and agricultural zones.
Yesterday, Listin Diario published a report on the increase of visa applications in the Dominican consulates, with the intention of settling on this side of the island."

One of the reasons why the real estate market is tough in Haiti...few buyers.
Nothing new there. That has be going on for many years.

All you have to do is drive around Santo Domingo and see Jeepetas with Haitian plates.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Nothing new there. That has be going on for many years.

All you have to do is drive around Santo Domingo and see Jeepetas with Haitian plates.
It is both an intellectual and a brain drain.
It would be interesting to know if they dumped their real estate investments in 🇭🇹
Never made any in the first place.
Or held.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It is both an intellectual and a brain drain.
It would be interesting to know if they dumped their real estate investments in 🇭🇹
Never made any in the first place.
Or held.
Only those that gave up on Haiti for good dump their Haitian real estate. I don't expect that of Haitians that don't want to be part of Haiti right now as the country is going through a rough moment, particularly Port-au-Prince. For them it's that, a moment. Like all moments, eventually they come to an end.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I am sure if you bought real estate in Haiti the purchase will recorded in legal measure and filed in the appropriate department.
That is exactly what happens.
Or else the people that own real estate would not have it in their mind that they actually have something to sell to someone else that might be willing to pay USD for it.

Actually this is an opportunity for 🇭🇹 to upgrade.
Blockchain technology has an application here.