Real Estate Title Change

mcdonald1992

Sep 4, 2020
Kingston, Canada
My Dominican wife has owned a house near Santiago for 25 years . The original title has her name and the name of her sister. Her sister is now moving out of the D.R. How does the sister remove her name from the title voluntarily ? She doesn't contest the ownership or want any compensation. Can the name simply be removed or does it require a sales transaction and at what value? What fees would be required? I am trying to get this sorted out to avoid the typical scenario that occurs when someone passes away. Thank you in advance.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
You need tge parties to execute a quit claim deed here where the sister can release her rights.
Most assuredly it is a documented legal transaction.
Deeds now require an attestation that includes a notary and additional witness(es.)

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Write a bill of sale for a small amount and have a lawyer and notory stamp it and then have the lawyer remove the name from the title.....I'm not sure if the property needs to be deslinded or not for this type of transaction....A friend had to do that to get his ex wife off the title of their house....

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Quit claim deeds do not exist in the DR. Your sister-in-law will have to sell her part to your wife. Your wife will have to pay conveyance taxes (3% of the government-assessed value of the object of sale; not of the price indicated on the deed of sale).

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Quit claim deeds do not exist in the DR. Your sister-in-law will have to sell her part to your wife. Your wife will have to pay conveyance taxes (3% of the government-assessed value of the object of sale; not of the price indicated on the deed of sale).
So the only way to do it is typical Promise of Sale Agrement and Deed of Sale agreement through a proper notary?