Real Gyros Now Available In Cabarete

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Gorditos Fresh Mex hits another home run!

They just opened a new restaurant next door to Gorditos in Cabarate called Flip Flops and they have real Gyros.

You can see the giant cone of Beef and Lamb turning on the stand as it is cooked and then sliced and served with Tzatziki sauce and a warm pita with perfect texture.

If you like real Gyros then Flip Flops is a great choice.

I ordered mine with extra meat and what a treat this was.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Gorditos Fresh Mex hits another home run!

They just opened a new restaurant next door to Gorditos in Cabarate called Flip Flops and they have real Gyros.

You can see the giant cone of Beef and Lamb turning on the stand as it is cooked and then sliced and served with Tzatziki sauce and a warm pita with perfect texture.

If you like real Gyros then Flip Flops is a great choice.

I ordered mine with extra meat and what a treat this was.

A good option.

Was a great fan of Doner kebab the Turkish equivalent of the Greek Gyro kebab until I heard about the health risks. But I guess the average Dominican food is no better.

Killer kebabs | Life and style | The Guardian

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Man those are good. When I worked in Antigua they were sold as Shwarmas (sp?).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
love gyros too. there is a guy selling them in costambar, delicious. i will definitely check out the cabarete store, sounds tempting.

May 29, 2006
A good option.

Was a great fan of Doner kebab the Turkish equivalent of the Greek Gyro kebab until I heard about the health risks. But I guess the average Dominican food is no better.

Killer kebabs | Life and style | The Guardian

Yeah, that would be my main concern too. That's the kind of business that is really only safe if it's always busy and you don't save any leftovers at the end of the night. It's cooking on the spit that is the issue. Slow to cook and it takes a long time to get the leftovers back to a safe zone. If it gets busy, you have to wait for the meat to cook and be sliced while you have a line of ten or more ppl. You get one customer that takes more than a couple minutes and the rest walk off.

I worked a pita stand under a tent a couple summers back to see if it was a good start-up. We did mostly chicken cooked on a grill, but only cooked enough for a half hour at a time and everything else was on ice all day. The lettuce, cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes were cut with a mandolin and always being kept fresh. Two ppl to run the place, one to cook and one to handle cash. All in all, he did great, about $700+/day with a 25% food cost and maybe $100 in labor. Nice little business with very low over head. Nice cash business... He kept track of sales by counting the pitas at the end of the day. Really simple way to prevent the help from skimming.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Yeah, that would be my main concern too. That's the kind of business that is really only safe if it's always busy and you don't save any leftovers at the end of the night. It's cooking on the spit that is the issue. Slow to cook and it takes a long time to get the leftovers back to a safe zone. If it gets busy, you have to wait for the meat to cook while you have a line of ten or more ppl.

I worked a pita stand under a tent a couple summers back to see if it was a good start-up. We did mostly chicken cooked on a grill, but only cooked enough for a half hour at a time and everything else was on ice all day. The lettuce, cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes were cut with a mandolin and always being kept fresh. Two ppl to run the place, one to cook and one to handle cash. All in all, he did great, about $700+/day with a 25% food cost and maybe $100 in labor. Nice little business with very low over head. Nice cash business... He kept track of sales by counting the pitas at the end of the day. Really simple way to prevent the help from skimming.

It was the fat content that freaked me.....like I'm drinking a wine glass of fat with every doner kebab....as article attached in my post

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Yeah, that would be my main concern too. That's the kind of business that is really only safe if it's always busy and you don't save any leftovers at the end of the night. It's cooking on the spit that is the issue. Slow to cook and it takes a long time to get the leftovers back to a safe zone. If it gets busy, you have to wait for the meat to cook and be sliced while you have a line of ten or more ppl. You get one customer that takes more than a couple of minutes...

? You get behind, slice the meat and put it on the grill for a minute. Gyros is basically Greek meatloaf, and frequently comes pre-cooked. Really good stuff.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
It was the fat content that freaked me.....like I'm drinking a wine glass of fat with every doner kebab....as article attached in my post

i'm sure i'm getting a glass full of oil and salt with every meal at my in laws. i'll take my chances with gyros.

May 29, 2006
? You get behind, slice the meat and put it on the grill for a minute. Gyros is basically Greek meatloaf, and frequently comes pre-cooked. Really good stuff.

Yes, most places now sell the stuff in frozen slices that they cook like philly steaks. Lots of spice and lots of fat. I'd say 80% of the business was office women who wanted what looked like a salad in a pita, but was loaded with fat. You do need a side grill as well with the spit. Two-three minutes per order is too slow when you have a line and the rush only lasts for a half hour.

As for sneaking in other pitas, the owner is there while you set up/break down(from his van) and there is no parking nearby. He swings by to help on the rush. The pitas are from an out of town bakery and your co-worker would have to be in on it.. Besides that, we were paid well for the job, more than I was making working as *real* cook with tips and not nearly as stressful.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Wonderful! Man I am happy to hear the good news.
Does anyone remember the German /Turkish brothers who were selling Donner in Sosua where Pedro McMurphys was? He wasnt there long. Good grub!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Ate there the other day. We will be back again and again and again. What a great addition.

Bob K

May 29, 2006
@ P.I.B. - You had some good chicken kabobs, if I recall, across from Rockybar.

My favorite shawarama in NY is Mamoun's.

http://www.mamouns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Macdougal_Menu2.pdf

Ay my rinky dink place, I use Goya Mojo Criollo for the pork tenderloin marinate and Italian dressing for the chicken on my bamboo skewers and cooked them to order.

I worked for about a week for the owner of Voodoo Lounge(Sosua) the New Years before then when he brought down someone from Vancouver to do a Donner stand. Raw marinated chicken stacked on a vertical spit. I didn't like the set up. It was slow and messy, and the grease from the cooking chicken attracted ants at my feet. Also, the product was dry from being on the spit for so long. It was not thought through. I wonder if that equipment has been bought and sold over the years and is now in Cabarete. I gave the stoves from my spot to a day care center..

I hope they can make it work there.. they are doing Tex Mex right by it and there is a lot of cross over in the set up.

BlondeJustice

May 28, 2014
Had the gyro platter the other night. Absolutely delicious. No worries about cleanliness. Two in the back preparing the food fresh. Three (or four?) on the line. They all put gloves on before touching the food. Just like Gorditos, spotless. Only complaint was they wouldn't do half & half on the sides. On the expensive side but when you realise the work that goes on preparing the food fresh and the cost of the meat that goes into the gyro, not too bad. Will definitely be back before heading home.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
knowing this country, its probably around 500-600 pesos, just like in Norway :-D

Thanks for the "guess", I strongly doubt they are charging $11 US for a Gyros.
Their tacos next door are very reasonable, RD50 for one, and RD150 for a burrito.