Really afraid of being bitten while in DR, do I need to worry?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I just encountered my first big tarantula in the bathroom after living here for now 2,5 years. If I hear that some people who are living here for much longer never encountered one, I am hoping that this will be my first and last encounter. Do not really like them but we let it live and just followed its track through the house that evening to see it wonder off through a peep whole back to the outside. They are great insect killers so live and let live brrr :bunny:

When we first arrived in Jarabacoa we had a lot of trouble with the so called 'no seems', little flies who can bite and their bites itches enormously and lasts forever to heal. Everybody told us, its a one time experience, once you have been bitten enough, they will not bother you again and that is a fact. They do not bother us anymore now.

Here on the NC we have no trouble with mosquito's, very rarely there is one flying around. A lot of frogs though but they probably eat the mosquito's. And we have the tarantula wasp flying around but they are looking for the spider so they do not bother us.

Acira

amypamela

Nov 14, 2011
I have been to Ocean Blue many times and I have commercial relationship with them. It is a great hotel, really great value for your money and you will have a blast!

I have not seen any spiders, but there are some bees flying sometimes around the pool... I have not seen spiders, but I really do not care for them much. No other crawling monsters either. Mosquitoes - yes, there may be some during the nighttime, but they don't like me any more, so I do not notice them much. But if they are there, its' because there are everywhere. They shouldn't trouble you much though. Wear mosquito repellent during nighttime if you are concerned. If you will be staying there November through February, it will be cold at night (well, cold for me, anyway) so if you wear long sleeves you should be OK.

Thank you for this helpful answer, this is what I was looking for. I appreciate it!

amypamela

Nov 14, 2011
For goodness sakes don't get upset if you see a gecko crawling around. They are common amongst the grass and treed areas around the property. They are harmless and feed on insects. The local variety doesn't sell insurance.

LOL that is funny! I am not afraid of those, or anything bigger actually, and I would love to see lizards!

amypamela

Nov 14, 2011
The OP just just cancelled her trip :)

LOL! Not yet but close! j/k No you haven't scared me off, I really want to see this beautiful country I just wanted to know what to expect. And I have received some very helpful, and other more humorous responses, but anyway thanks to those who have shared their experience. :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
KEEP US POSTED ABOUT YOUR DR TRIP!
YOU NED TO KNOW THAT ON DR1,WE MAKE YOU "PAY" FOR OUR "ADVICE"!
WE ARE MOSTLY OLD RETIRED FOLKS WITH TOO MUCH TIME ON OUR HANDS.WE LIKE TO HAVE A LITTLE FUN,AT YOUR EXPENSE.
We all mean you the best,and mostly post to entertain eacchother!
If you are really worried,have your doctor get you some "Epi-Pens".
I just use Benedryl if I have an allergic reaction.
Dare I mention the giant centipedes?
Cris Colon

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the centipedes tend to hide and you wont see them unless you are in the habit of picking boulders up, unless they drown in the pool, the millipedes are more out and about type insects, not sure if they bite or sting as they are easy to kick away

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Wow. For my first post, I think I have gotten a taste of this board and may have to look elsewhere for my information from now on.

I thank those who offered actual information to help put my mind at ease. Obviously the others have never had a legitimate fear. I can totally take a joke and I hope that that is what was intended, but to make fun of someone's legitimate question and fear is not necessary. And, yes, to clarify, I do have reactions to stings. I live in Canada, where we DO have lots of biting insects, I just wanted to ask what was native to your country so I can be prepared. Not wanting to let my fears ground me at home forever, just wanting to be aware to avoid a potential medical emergency :disappoin

I have been going to the DR for 7 years now, 3 to 4 trips a year and have never personally had an issue with bites other than mosquitos and sand fleas. If you go anywhere north of Toronto in the summer you will find bugs 10x worse than in the DR through my experience. Just bring a bit of repellant and you should be fine.

Gecko's poop more than they bite :laugh:

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~Never had a problem at the resorts in Punta Cana with the crawlly things, however the fumugation to eliminate the crawlly things is another story....I find I have difficulty breathing because of this process, and they usually do it nightly.....and I DO NOT suffer from breathing problems in general.....

~So dont worry too much about what you may or may not see....if that were the case as a "Rule of thumb" we would all be staying in the house..........Chill out....have a Greenie and Enjoy your Stay.....:p

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Considering your phobia, um, stay home. :smoke:

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
yes Amy...some here get their entrainment kicks responding with humor....often much more mean spirited than you experienced. I have stayed in all manner of decent and some not so decent hotels and apartments in the last year. I do not have phobias but get your concerns. Some mosquito bites...but less than at home in Boston. No tarantuals...they are here but I have not seen them in 10 trips to santo domingo outskirts and Bonao. See the Vaccinations - Travelers' Health - CDC if you are concerned...but I have had no trouble.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hay there gal!! Look get some OFF for the mosquitos. Spray on feet and legs if you are out and about at dusk or dawn.
Be smart and don't go putting your hand into dark, damp places without looking first with a flashlight. Don't bundle up sweaty clothes and throw them on the bathroom floor.
Shake out your shoes in the morning.

DO NOT DRINK BEER! It appears that beer seems to attract mosquitoes. Stick to rum or something else tropical.

Don't sweat the small stuff. I have lived here fifty years and have never been bitten by anything worse than a horse fly...

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
LED, or just any light?

Thanks for the advice Hillbilly!
No more sticking my hands in dark,damp places :confused:without looking first with a flashlight! :surprised
It always worried me in the past!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
CCCCCCC: You of all people would go there!!! Yeah, I knew it was a possibility!! JEJEJE

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"LED " then???????/
cc
I just love it when Doominicans wear a T-shirt with an off color slogan.
My maid,an "Evangelica",wears a shirt that says;"Don't Sweat The Petty Stuff',....Pet The Sweaty Stuff!"