Really afraid of being bitten while in DR, do I need to worry?

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I have a big fear of being bitten by a venomous spider or other such crawly thing, or a mosquito or other flying insect. We would be staying at the Ocean Blue in Punta Cana, are spiders and other biting insects a real concern at resorts, or more if you travel off site? Do you see spiders IN the hotel itself, on the beaches, gardens? And are mosquitos around mostly at night, or all day, or not at all in resort areas? Please help put my mind at ease!

The resorts spray so much insecticide that you'll rarely find any bugs in the rooms or on the nicely manicured grounds... you will find moquitos but if you wear repellant you'll be fine. I'm terrified let me correct that, was terrified of spiders but have gotten de-sensitized by all the encounters I've had staying off resorts in local homes etc. I've seen terrantulas and lots of other varieties of huge and harmless spiders... they pretty much skitter away when you move towards them... there's giant cochroaches that are really gross but harmless. I've belted out a few good screams when they've surprised me in the bathroom or behind a door etc... but they'd like to avoid you just as much as you'd like to avoid them... PS, don't be afraid of the geckos they're your friends, they eat the spiders and the bugs... good luck :eek:)

george1

Jan 2, 2011
I live onn Km 18 on the Duarte, direction Villa Altagracia. We had on our record night 8 visitors with eight legs. It is not uncommon that when I work at night on the computer I see them on the wall or floor. They are huge and ugly, but not after humans. A bite can be very unpleasant, but it would have to be due to an accident, for instance stepping on one or putting your arm on one. Centerpides are bad, they bite humans and some folks never recover full usage off their arm if bitten there. They love to crawl into beds when folks are sleeping. We had one visit us last time, a huge one that made everyone freak out in the middle of the night. I rather have a few Tarantulas bite me than one centerpide......it'll mess you up, possibly seriously. One must be careful, but no need to be afraid in a Resort!

jameshoff

Nov 18, 2011
Wow I wasn't going to get involved with this post, being a newbie and all I pick and choose my battles, but!!!! I too live in CANADA and I was wondering if I could have a list of all these so called biting insects ( that could cause harm )I do understand that you might have reactions to certain insect bites but come on!! I live in northern Ont (bears, wolves, moose, deer etc) most are harmless some need more attention, my point is no matter where you go in life your going to run into some sort of a situation! Just enjoy your trip!!! Get some sun and have some drinks!!

May 29, 2006
What's the worst that could happen?

tumblr_ltswlusNuy1qmf9gqo1_500.jpg

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
The very best antidote to irrational fear of insects, arachnids, lizards, fish, octopi, reptiles, grizzly bears, POLAR bears, moose and two legged monsters of all types is a very common potion native to the island.. it's called RUM. Drink lots and lots of it. It will not guarantee that you won't be bitten, attacked, eaten alive or sankified... (in fact it might add to the chances of the latter), BUT if properly administered, it could guarantee that you won't care.

Seriously though ... tropical island... and you're asking if there will be bugs??? REALLY??? SERIOUSLY???

jameshoff

Nov 18, 2011
atta boy CaptnGlenn "lmao" so true about the rum, cures most things and if it doesn't it sure tastes good. Thats quite a swim for the "POLAR" bears. (still lmao).