Recent Departure from POP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Y'day was interesting....

I arrived POP to check -in.... no masks in the airport or on the plane -- UAL to EWR

At check-in (CDN passport) I was asked if I had a visa for the US.....no.
Then they wanted my address in the US....
first time of asking for both

At Migracion, the girl said I had overstayed....I showed her my cedula and told her I was a citizen.
Still, she sent me to the pay booth.... who cleared me & sent me back to her to stamp me out.
First time for this too....

At the gate , they started the check-in process early only to send us outside in hallway to line up single file, bags on the ground....
We waited.
Finally, the dog showed up and checked us - we were allowed to board.
First time for this too-- seen the dog before, but the big line was new- whole plane sniffed.

Maybe the world is changing.....

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

I arrived POP to check -in.... no masks in the airport or on the plane -- UAL to EWR

At Migracion, the girl said I had overstayed....I showed her my cedula and told her I was a citizen.
Still, she sent me to the pay booth.... who cleared me & sent me back to her to stamp me out.

At the gate , they started the check-in process early only to send us outside in hallway to line up single file, bags on the ground....
We waited.
First time for this too-- seen the dog before, but the big line was new- whole plane sniffed.

As long as they were fed prior to sniffing, I am sure it was a smooth process, thank you for the update Web.

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
Back in October and November at pop they had the dog for whole plane too
Kinda funny

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
We waited.

This has been the case for me the last three times I have departed POP-MIA on AA over the past year. It is true,the world is a changin'....

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

We waited.

Maybe it was one of the new Covid virus sniffing dogs ?
I am sure if you were trying to sneak into the US you could find easier ways than airports - the Southern border is wide open - no Covid documents or passport needed.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Maybe it was one of the new Covid virus sniffing dogs ?
I am sure if you were trying to sneak into the US you could find easier ways than airports - the Southern border is wide open - no Covid documents or passport needed.

No thank you - I'd rather not

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
No thank you - I'd rather not

But you can swim - the river is slow moving William

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
We waited.

We went through exactly this in PUJ a couple of months back... The whole plane (Boeing 767) was put outside the terminal to a single line and dogs that did not look very friendly sniffed through the whole line slowly... Before that, the guys with the dogs ordered us to place everything on us to the ground... A few tourists that did not get Spanish immediately and did not know what to do, go berated... Once the line was fully cleared, we boarded... Never seen that before here...

Not sure if I want to export even coffee anymore...

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I had the same at PUJ a couple of weeks ago. So I think sniffer dogs are now standard practise for all departing flights. Very interesting.

Sandee

Oct 25, 2021
Sosua

We waited.

Left last night from POP to YYZ, had pretty much the same experience. I had the added pleasure of getting called to go watch the customs guys search one of my checked bags. My batteries and areosol cans didn't raise any eyebrows, although the dulce leche in my carry on was confiscated earlier at check in. The entire plane lined up for the dog, and despite multiple, multiple mask announcements, I wore mine around my chin Super Pola style 90% of the time without any comments at all. Did the same all the way thru the terminal in Toronto, just pulled it up as I directly approached the officials, long after they saw me approaching. They all seem to be done with it as well.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

We waited.

They've been doing the line up with the dog sniffing for a while now. Last time that I flew out was 3 years ago and I went through that before boarding. I guess it's random.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I had my luggage put aside three times on different flights when I returned to Canada. Had to go to a downstairs area to open it for inspection. Cut my boarding time to 10 minutes once. Drug dogs sniffed my luggage twice and the dogs were also used to sniff passenger carry on luggage in the departure lounge waiting areas on two occasions. All of this was prior to 2020.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I had my luggage put aside three times on different flights when I returned to Canada. Had to go to a downstairs area to open it for inspection. Cut my boarding time to 10 minutes once. Drug dogs sniffed my luggage twice and the dogs were also used to sniff passenger carry on luggage in the departure lounge waiting areas on two occasions. All of this was prior to 2020.
Hemp oil

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Probably residue from good Canadian weed! 🤣

Back in the 1990’s, I got a call from the RCMP. They needed to dispose of two tractor trailer loads of primo Colombian weed, seized from an old fishing trawler they caught. The weed was fresh cut from the fields and placed in burlap bags. The bags also contained tarantulas and other poisonous insects.

I arranged for them to burn the illegal weed in a pulp and paper mill bark burner with a very high stack. Only thing affected by the emissions were the seagulls. 🤣